#
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:18 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: 1981 Honda Accord Hatchback
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:31 pm 

Some people might have seen this elsewhere, I like to keep JNC updated with fleet changes so here's the latest.

Accord 1.6 Hatchback with 5-speed manual box, the bulk of surviving examples here seem to be Hondamatics. Apparently there are something like 16 of these left in the UK, though I don't know if that is just hatchbacks or if it includes the more rare saloon model. It drives brilliantly but requires some welding before I can get it pressed into use.

The interior is a tasteful black, which is frustrating for me as I like my stuff to be unpleasant brown/beige/wine red type affairs. Still, it has a pretty mad steering wheel and I like all the instruments on it.

Anyway that's me done, just need to go update my signature. In conclusion, I am well on my way to becoming a crazy old man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:53 pm 

Hey! I know you, well as much as you can know someone on the internet. Once again, clean ride. I am still amazed by that uncracked dashboard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:13 am 

Yeah it is remarkably straight and has its original paint, which seems like it has been kept up to as it has a nice smooth feel - bit dirty at the moment from being laid up but it'll come up really nice. There are a few bits of surface rust where paint has just flaked off, but thankfully they're nearly all on the bottom of the car below the rubbing strips. Once the sill repairs are done, the new metal will need painting so probably best to do it all at once.

Are cracked dashboards a bit of a specific problem with these then? If so, I'll stick something over it to keep it in the shade as the warmer weather rolls in, likely to be a few months before work commences. Hopefully it'll be ready for a bit of summer cruising though.

The key thing is to get all the welding and mechanical bits sorted first, then I can start worrying about what it looks like. Took me a while, but I finally learned that lesson!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:20 am 

Yeah the cracking dashes are a problem. I don't know if covering it will help though. The way the dash is designed, from what I can tell, it's due to the structure sagging. Maybe when the plastic dries out, the sagging then pulls it apart. But mine definitely has a distinct sag to it. It's got a hairline crack that's about 2cm long that I believe is new. It is hardly noticeable, but scares me that it's going to get bad. Whatever Honda did to the dashes in 82 to fix the problem really worked, as I've never seen an 82 or newer with a dash crack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:44 pm 

nice love them old school accords

Post subject: Re: 1981 Honda Accord Hatchback
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:30 am 
Administrator

Hirst wrote:
The interior is a tasteful black, which is frustrating for me as I like my stuff to be unpleasant brown/beige/wine red type affairs.

Exactamundo! And if the fabric happens to be some odd striped or plaid pattern, even better! Some (ahem, Burabuda) will never understand.

As far as we Yanks are concerned, 70s & 80s dashes ALWAYS crack. Maybe it's the fact that most of these cars live in the harsh southwest sun and drab UK doesn't have the same issues.

Anyway, terrific find, as usual. Only 16!? Congrats!
:tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:49 am 

The best thing would be if the seats were buttoned crushed velour, but regrettably Honda didn't have me on the design team as I wasn't even born. Still, the interior does have its good points - I love the gauge cluster with the redline, the steering wheel is pretty great too - 4 horn buttons! Wonder if there's an order you can press them in to unlock "VTEC mode" or something.

A funny little story with this this car - the main fuse had been replaced with some hastily-added wire/25A car fuse combo (probably couldn't obtain the proper one easily). So I ordered a few new ones through a Honda bike supplier (of all places). Replaced it and turned the key to see if it had all worked and was surprised to see that the previously non-working radio cracked into life! Bonus. I love a working old radio.

Anyway it should be a pretty exciting motor to drive around once I get ready - back in the day there were loads of these old Accords around this area, check out the two lurking in this 80s flooding photo - I drive down this road most days:

So it should be exciting for some people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:14 pm 
Administrator

Man, I love vintage pics. Looks like a scene out of Life on Mars or something :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:16 pm 

great pictures cool car and yes i know that street as well :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:09 pm 

Did the US get the 4 door version of this year Accord? I like the quad headlight look. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:01 am 
Yes we did. 79' was the first year for the 4 door in the US. 81' was the first year for the SE.

Mark

Post subject: I just bought an Accord 1981
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:08 am 
Hi
I'm from Mexico and I just bought an Accord 1981 4 door. This car is very rarely here, was imported from US along time ago and a friend sold me. The car is ok, but the paint was very bad. Actually is in restore process. I will show you some pictures soon.
Regards from Mexico
David
(sorry my bad english)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]