#
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 17   [ 332 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:00 am 

There is no way to prevent the primer from burning off during repairs. It is normal to have a part (or car) sandblasted then immediately coated with primer for repairs. After repairing the area, welding etc you would either blast that area clean with a portable sandblast gun or wire wheel then prime the repaired area again. There are lots of examples on JNC with this being done.

However I'd be more concerned about actually using those rims... I'd be more inclined to find undamaged ones than use those ones ! The steel would have hardened from the welding and you now risk the rims actually cracking if you use them. Heating the rims while welding would have also changed the properties of the metal, stressing parts of the wheel and relieving stress from other areas, this would have contributed to the wheels possibly warping. They may crack they may not, who knows... Im no expert but if you weld a part like a wheel I'd expect that you'd have to heat the wheel evening in a Kiln and then cool the wheel evenly in a controlled manner so that there are no stress points on the rim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:29 pm 

Good riddance to bad tyre shop eh so hows the car coming on then? 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:40 pm 

I would use the wheels without a problem, they are really nice restored.The only problem with the weld is that it is bronze but it will hold up well too , though you have to rebalance them after( or before, it all depends on the case) painting.Thats a really good restoration project 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:43 pm 

that would be my concern is the brass throwing out the balance...is it not denser/heavier than steel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:22 pm 

The brass shouldnt throw the wheels out of balance if its only a minor repair, if that cant be corrected by using weights at a tyre shop then I'd be questioning whether to use the rims at all.

eduardo i. wrote:
I would use the wheels without a problem, they are really nice restored.The only problem with the weld is that it is bronze but it will hold up well too , though you have to rebalance them after( or before, it all depends on the case) painting.Thats a really good restoration project Cool

I think kev84 mentions that part of the original job was to straighten the rims as well which wasnt done which is a big reason why he wasnt happy with the job ! So what your saying is that you would drive your car on a set of bent rims that would damage wheel hubs, bearings, brakes etc and compromise your's and others safety ?

As a general rule you shouldnt weld vital control components such as steering components, tie rods, brake brackets, wheels etc.

Keep up the good work kev84, its an interesting read. I've never seen a hardtop Honda only the convertible versions and they are very rare in Australia. The last one I saw was probably 10years ago. It'll be a nice car when finished :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:01 pm 

Sorry for not being more clear, but before rebalancing the rim must be fairly straight( i meant the two things in one).I have seen many wheels restored, ive heard some of them had even been welded in certain places, i dont think its a reason to throw away some nice rims to the garbage( which have been sandblasted by the way)

Asuming things is sometimes a problem in understanding :wink: n of course i wouldnt put other peoples life in danger by doing such acts, If a wheel is badly bent the vivration would be so bad that the car could even not be driveable :shock: .If its not bent enough so that it is a problem with balancing then its not a problem I dont think welding a small part in a rim is not wrong.I think those wheels can be straightened and rebalanced without much problem( unless they are actually worst than the picture.

Just my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:17 am 

gypsy, i will use the rims for now, maybe good enough to be used in exhibition, then find a set of nice alloys for daily use or perhaps buy some remaining rims off other S car owners and repair it when i have more money to fix other components, other than the engine and stuffs that need to get the car ready. also, one of the rims has leak, all 4 others work, i might have to find a tubed tyre to use it in the spare. or maybe just find a way to fix it and seal the rim holes

oh yeah, the hardtop coupes are pretty rare, and 1800 ever made in the world. in japan, i hear, they dispose and scrap the coupe away as they find the convertible to be the one thats worth the money. then again, id love the coupe. as much as i want a convertible, i think the coupe looks sexy, it looks like a porsche 911 front, with aston martin like grills, ferrari rear and jaguar e type side profile or lotus elan side doors. what a combo!

anyways, super slow progress, chinese new year is coming. plus the badges and oil filter just came from australia. thanks to jason of australia. cost 266 AUD! damnn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:37 pm 

All looking good mmmm pictures of the car kev :tu: :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:46 am 

Paint grinding work begins again. Car to be coated with anti-rust primer soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:57 pm 

mmmm i feel its getting close now :tu: :tu: :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:30 pm 

The car has come a loong way from what it used to be. great work!

1971 celica....rusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:35 pm 

Is it coated with some kind of rust preventive acid? I think it is because it looks darker than metal and i heavent seen flash rust on the pictures.Will it be striped completely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:37 am 

unfortunately it wouldnt be stripped off all as the painters opinion is that the existing paint can be used as a primer

anyways,

Morning and afternoon job

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:09 pm 

coming on now :tu: :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:46 pm 

Is that coat of primer to be used as your prep for basecoat or is it mostly there to prevent rusting? Just concerned about the low spots in the metal that havent been addressed yet......figuring they will be.

www.g1teg.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:54 pm 

going good... nice nice... good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:34 am 

yeah i hope the painter is doing the right thing then. he would have much knowledge compared to me in that matter

today mr yeoh of glass mechanic came to kampar (my town) to help me polish the glass of my front windscreen. as you all would know (refer to the picture of my car in first page), the glass is pretty opaque and not clear. see how mr yeoh, helps to clean the glass and makes its close to perfection. if you guys need his help, feel free to call mr yeoh at glass mechanics (malaysia) 03-78737873. his shop is in ss2. his expertise in glass is definitely top notch. i would recommend anyone with a glass problem to look for him!

picture sorting from after to before

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:35 pm 

WOW glass is looking good :tu: :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:19 am 

thx colink, ur a hell of a supporter

paint stripping job resume. more stripping work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:53 pm 

That is what I call a good restoration and a good stripping procces 8) .Is the car going to be a shocar or will it be a wekend cruser?Are you getting the interior reupholstered also?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 17   [ 332 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next