#
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:01 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 6   [ 114 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Add some Life to your spice
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:33 am 

I was just checking out Auto-Spot. I was unable to determine if they sell internationally and if they even carry parts for the N600. Maybe that car was never JDM material. They seem to have lots of parts for racing. Adjustable can sprockets Duel coil waste spark systems. New roller cranks. What is your talk on the international sales and ordering parts since I know no Japanese?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:54 pm 

Darkstrike, I actually worked pretty quickly on the air cleaner because it was cold and I don't do well in the cold. I think I spent a total of maybe two and a half hours. It's pretty amazing how a little bit of paint will completely change the way something looks! The lid still has a few rust pin holes in it here and there, but the darker blue causes those holes to really disappear.

As for power, I can't really tell if it's added any in the top range, but I can tell it's thrown my carb tune out of whack when below 4,000 rpm. When it's particularly cold (ie. every morning), it's a pain to get it to start and I've been getting pops and bangs until the engine is fully warmed up. I believe, the problem is two fold really, first the increased flow is causing a bit of a problem and second, the last time i fiddled with the carbs, it was mid-summer and hot as all get out.

I won the brake auction! Hopefully they'll fit... Since the brakes are from a Mira turbo, there's a chance that they won't even kind of fit and I'll just be out some money. But, to have a good set of trustworthy discs to pull this thing to stop was worth the risk. If they do work though, I'll have to get some new 12 inch wheels, which is a decision that could take months, haha. I'll just have to grab some chepo steelies while I search for the perfect set.

8803, Auto Spot does indeed have some cool stuff! I believe he participates in quite a lot of 360cc racing, which is something I would love to do! Unfortunately, he doesn't carry parts for the N600, but that's because the N60 was never offered here. The kei regulations at the time limited engine displacement to 360cc, so the 600 would have to have been registered as a full size car, which would have more than doubled the amount of yearly tax!

It never dawned on me, but the Auto Spot guy doesn't have an order form or do international orders, unfortunately. Everything is done via e-mail, in Japanese. What we usually do is send him an email with a list of what we want, he replies with a total including shipping to us, then we wire him the money. The parts usually show up within a day too. If you guys want to order something from him though, we can totally help you out. Just let us know what you want, we'll order it and have it shipped to us. Then we'll figure out the international shipping to you and send the package on its way.

Another good website for Life parts is Neolife: http://neolife.cart.fc2.com/
Now, he does have an order form on his website, but I don't believe he ships internationally. He has a bit at the bottom of the page talking about shipping, and his primary method is doing COD. For international shipping, I think one would have to mail him first.

Updates soon as parts roll in!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:57 am 

Seems like you've only just got the drum brakes working properly!
Best wishes for the upgrade experiment. Did you find any other (Japanese) info to support the idea? I still haven't tried the basic Mira brakes I bought on my Z properly, & aside from the Z's styled steel wheels would probably favor the Subaru Rex bits for the more common 4x100 stud pattern.
Could be a headache but it's nice to be able to upgrade things, & there's nothing to stop you re-selling them if they don't fit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:42 am 

Been offline for a while but great to come back and see the Life breathing healthily again, kudos to you David :tu:

As for Autospot, I have a list as long as my arm of stuff I will eventually pick up from there for my N360, thanks to you David. Cams, bore up kit, exhaust etc.

Cheers
Benny

2 x N360 restoration projects

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:29 am 

Kind of you folks that you'd help people with getting things from Auto Spot...I may be in that boat eventually! As for Neolife....bookmarked!

Haha, you sound like me lately...I've got to put a new air filter and new (read: brighter) headlight bulbs in my daily driver '09 Accent (yes, I know, such an amazing ride...) and it was -15 to -20C here including windchill the last few weeks up until a few days ago, now it's warmer, but constant rain. I don't do well in deep cold or rain either, lol. The cleaner definitely looks great for the amount of time you put in, I can't even see any rusty-looking spots in any of the pics you posted! Will be interesting to see if a tune-up later seems to give it a bit more pep. Hopefully you can sort out your hard-starting problems on the cold mornings...as much as you love the car, I could see that getting annoying quickly when you're trying to get to work...is your garage heated at all?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:34 pm 

Welcome back Benny! Whenever you're ready, shoot me an email!

79cord, a 4x100 bolt pattern would have definitely been preferred, but I didn't really want to mess with the rear of the car, so I stuck with the original bolt pattern. The car's running pretty well for the time being though, so I probably won't be ripping the brakes off it just yet!

Darkstrike, that's a level of cold I don't even want to think about! We're hovering around and above 0 C and that's too cold for me! I think I've sorted my hard starting problems in the mornings too. It just takes the right amount of pumps (two seems to be doing the trick). It fired up this morning on the second revolution!

So, I've been collecting parts like a madman! First to arrive was my brakes!

As you can see, they came with just about everything I needed! The only thing that really needs work is the backing plate that holds the caliper. I have to drill new holes in it to bolt it to the Life hub. I had a spare axle laying around, so I slotted it into the rotor and it fit like OEM!

Next up, I figured that while I had the car up on blocks doing the brakes, I'd do a little something extra to give me some peace of mind. So, I pulled the trigger on this Mitsubishi Minica radiator and fan! The reason I went with this particular radiator is that it was only 1,000 yen. Ya, I know people who spend more than that on a single beer. I figured that even if it all goes wrong and I can't even slightly make it work, I'm not out a whole lot.

The fins are infinitely smaller and there are so many more of them. I can thrash on the engine all day long and it'll never get hot with this thing in there.

Finally, I needed a set of wheels to match the new bigger rotors. So, I cruised Yahoo Auctions and finally found a set of 12 x 4.5 inchers with the right bolt pattern. I actually kind of liked the design too. So, I snatched those up for less than 10,000 yen shipped!

The biggest problem I run into when working on my cars isn't rust, which is what most people think. It's actually me going "Where the hell is my 10 mm!" for about 25 minutes. I decided it was high time to organize. So, I pulled all my tools out and spread them across the floor.

For the amount of work I do, that's a surprisingly small amount of tools. After some re-purposing of stuff found around the garage, I got everything organized beautifully!

The wood is actually a rabbit thing, but it worked nicely for holding all my wrenches. The screwdrivers are held up by slotting through nuts zip tied to the wood. I organized all my sockets using some cardboard that was floating around (the extra socket is actually a duplicate 19 mm which I found after I made cutouts). Not a bad job for doing it for free.

But, everything got put on a bit of a hold this weekend as I finally picked up that second project I was trying to get. Check it out here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23808

Thanks for the comments guys!

Cheers,
David

Today's Garage Soundtrack:
Jim Guthrie - Swords and Sworcery OST
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCcWWcL_Sg4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:07 pm 

Great to see you picked up your new ride! Looking forward to the build thread for that one! You could always keep the Life and Skyline BOTH for DD duties and switch between them? ;)

0 C isn't too bad, but still pretty chilly if you're out in it for awhile! Glad you've started your hard starting problems though, the Life sounds like it's almost at 100% problem-free now! *knocks on wood* :)

How new is that Minica rad? From an older model Minica (same age as the Life), or something much newer? It looks newer. Either way, it looks like you got a bigtime score for the equivalent of $10 CDN!!! You should have no overheating problems with that one....is the rad that is in the car now the original from the factory? I quite like the new rims too! Quite sporty without being overstated. Think you'll keep them silver or are you going to paint them?

It seems like used car parts are insanely cheap in Japan....wish it were the same here. I would LOVE to see shops like Up Garage, etc. where you could walk in and buy quality used parts for nice prices....same goes for the auctions around here, most car parts are still seemingly quite expensive in North America in comparison.

The garage looks great - actually, my absolute first thought on seeing the tool pile was the same as yours: very surprised at how low your tool count is too in relation to the amount of work you've done! Clearly an excellent case of "make the best with what you've got!" Wish I had a tool set / garage ( / *cough skills) half that good, so you'll just have to deal with my continued vicarious living of your automotive endeavors :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:11 am 

Daihatsu have much thicker wheel studs than the Honda Life & Z H/t so you may still have some work to do for the rear brakes, whether its drilling for the bigger studs or special rear wheel nuts...
Big vented brakes definitely look good though!

Nice modern radiator! Original certainly is small, hope the new one isn't too big. (Long looking filler neck!)

Not bad wheels. Very '80's, though that's probably better than some of the soft blobby '90's efforts. Not an easy stud pattern to shop for.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:13 am 

Just a heads up that if you get crafty enough, you can actually get certain 10" wheels over Mira brakes depending on how by-the-book you are about modifying the calipers and the backing plate. :) I know this for a fact with L70 calipers at least, but I'm led to believe that later L200 and L500 Miras are also capable. L70 calipers also fit over the L200 vented discs, even though they originally came on solid discs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:40 pm 

awesome mate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:14 pm 

You are doing a great job on this car. I like it more and more. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:37 am 

Are you selling your little Life David? The latest pics of it on your Photobucket sure seem that way! :(

On to bigger and better things?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:31 pm 

Holy cow have I been busy lately!

Darkstrike was very quick on the draw to catch the pictures in my Photobucket, but he did hit the nail on the head. I have decided to let the little Life go on to another owner. The reasons for this are many, but I think at the top of the list is, I want a car I can fit in, haha. I'm 6 foot 4 (or 194 cm) and the little Life is just a bit too small for me.

Also, the Life consumes quite a lot of my free time. Daily driving a car from the 1960s has its price and that is generally pulling me away from the bigger and better projects sitting in the garage. So, after a bit of a talk with my lovely wife, we decided to let the Life go so I can focus on the nearly complete Bellett and get started on the beautiful Cosmo.

Here's the actual ad on YAJ:
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... n134668480

Here's a Youtube video we took of the car driving (click the picture or the link to watch the video):

http://youtu.be/bEH1RKBtUfI

Here's a few pictures that we took for the ad:

I am going to be sad to see it go, but we had a lot of good times together and hopefully the next owner will drive her and show her off like she deserves!

Thanks everyone for all the support and comments throughout the build! Of course, if the car doesn't sell I may just end up keeping, who knows!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:42 pm 

No worries about being busy, life comes first....no pun intended, haha! I had a feeling what was happening when I saw those pics go up (nice to see the Minica has a Texas reg. now though, btw - congrats!) I keep an eye on your Photobucket from time to time as you've got some interesting pics, and your forum threads are some of my favorites to follow online...hope that's not too creepy, haha! :P

Sorry to see the little scamp go, but I can understand your reasoning...with your being tall, I can understand why you'd want something comfortable for DD use. I hope you get the price you asked for it! Hell, I'd consider importing it here to Canada, but I don't have the funds, sadly!

What ride is going to take up the DD role for ya? Fixing up the Skyline or is that gone now too?

Also...random thought....you fit better in the Minica than the Life??? I thought the Minica was even smaller, haha!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 6   [ 114 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6