#
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 6   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Wolffy's '72 Z600 Ressurection ~ tons of Pics
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:05 pm 

Since the engine has been hard to crank over lately I decided to take out the starter again an do a more thorough cleaning. It seems some of the brushes were stuck and the solenoid contacts were quite worn. On the left I also have the FR brake caliper that was sticking last time the car drove.

I also picked up more paint and primer to finish the seat parts I sandblasted

The caliper body will need blasting too so I need to do both sides so out the driver side came.

Starter cleaned up, resurfaced contacts and brushes, lubed bearings. Added some gold paint to make it pop! plus new hardware to replace the corroded stuff I wish gold cadmium plating was legal in this damn state,

With the newly refreshed starter back in the engine turned faster but still wouldnt fire, something is still quite wrong. Removed the valve cover and checked cam timing, Its off by at leaks two teeth. FARK, Its probably bent a valve again.....time to tear down again, I need to make a better timing chain tensioner solution.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:57 pm 

Hey all, in case you were wondering, this project is not dead!

Really keen on doing some body work finally, and before it get cold outside. Armed with more aggressive blasting media ive been sandblasting all the front panels that will fit in the blasting cabinet, Far easier and effective than sanding or caustic stripping. lately I stripped the Cowl, and front apron, LF fender and almost done with the RF. I doubt the Hood will fit so that is a manual sand job after I weld the inner supports to make it a bit more rigid.

After im done I need to seal them up with primer and begin a skim filler coat but the front panels aside from the LFF are pretty straight.

Also getting around to a sad part that has been waiting patiently on the shelf for the last 5! years, The rear hatch. It seems they all crack in half between the hinge points, maybe its binding or the torsion bars break it. Ive begun repairs with a good cleaning and cleaning the glass sealing surface, the rear window has been glued in a few times it seems.

Glass had these weird little rusty clips supporting the glass with a piece of vacuum hose in between. WTF is this? get it away!

Bad cracks

Ground out the small cracks on the inside bottom edge and the big cracks up top.

Set up with clamps and wax paper covered sticks to secure it

Using a quality Wurth Plastic repair epoxy "Fix-all" after good experiences with the stuff, cures real quick and sands nice too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:03 am 

I always attributed a major factor in the cracking along the top of the rear hatches to differing expansion rates between the plastic & steel hinge frame, so thought slotting on the frame monting holes might be a good idea, and perhaps spacer rings in the holes so the fastening screws couldn't squash the plastic too far.
Those screws can be had to undo once rust gets involved!
Great to see more of the project. Must do mine too. Though the idea of carbon fiber reinforced f/glass is awfully tempting too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:17 pm 

Had a get together with friends and knocked out a bunch of sanding prep but still plenty to do.

Discovered if I drill out the spot welds for the door window frames I might be able to fit them in to the sandblaster at work, Much better than sanding the paint off.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:18 pm 

Sanding cars :evil:

I hate that job

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:05 am 

You are doing a great job !

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 6   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6