#
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: A 1969 Honda N600 G in France
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:16 pm 

Hey everyone,

This is what was looking like my 600 sedan 3 years ago when I bought it.

Funny how it is very similar to Affen's one : G-type (shifter console, front disk brakes, pseudo-wood dash board, chrome trims, tachometer...), 2-tone which unlike Affen I will probably keep.

I spent a lot of time in collecting some missing parts, in gathering knowledge about this 2-cyl air cooled engine, rebuilding my house, raising my 3 children, spending some time at work etc, etc.
But at the moment, most of the accessories are ready to be back on the car, as well as the engine and transmission. And I have saved enough money to prepare the body and have it painted by a paint shop. Hope to have a drivable N600 by the end of the summer.

Along with my 1975 Autobianchi A112

Post subject: Re: A 1969 Honda N600 G in France
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:16 pm 

Congratulations on your car!!
It really looks good and that blue color is very nice. :tu:
I have a N600 also but mine is white, and i am also rebuilding it .
Here in Portugal, most of the Hondas N600 had the shifter console and the "wood" dashboard but they were not "G"type and did not have the chrome trims on the side panels. :?
Yours is the very first French N600 that i see. :shock:
How hard is it to find parts for these cars in France?
I have a very good contact for most of the parts on these cars a few km away from my place.
I will be following your work on this beauty!!! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:47 pm 

Thank you Joaoh

I've already painted the engine bay with a blue made for me by a local paint shop. I wanted him to match the original Metalic Nassau Blue but the result is not as good as I expected. I'd really like to match as close as possible the original Nassau Blue.
I'll keep the black roof, which is not the original paint, but which is part of this car's history.

Parts are quite difficult to source of course, but with the help of internet, I've managed to create a network of sellers and enthusiasts able to provide parts for our tiny 600s. Most of us must know Miles Chappell, Ray Cave, O'Connors, Tim Mings, Sherwood Garage, CMSNL. I have added to this well known international list some french and belgian 600 lovers and that's it : I'm quite sure I have enough parts to rebuilt at least 2 sedans :lol: . Do you want to join this list Joaoh ? Welcome !

But my wish is to be able to buy directly in Japan. They could provide most of the parts we need : have a look to the Autospot.net site. You will be amazed by what they sell :shock: . But the don't want to sell abroad. :cry: If any reader know how to import japanese parts in Europe or in the US, please tell us how you managed to.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:28 pm 

Nice car! :)
From the pictures it seems to be very complete and in good condition.

How is the body when it comes to rust?

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:11 pm 

Thank you Affen,

The body is in overall quite good condition. I'll have to have the 2 door sills formed and weld by a shop, as well as the rear lower corners. The owner of the shop advised me to locate non rusted parts on a junked body in order not to form the parts and only weld them. To his opinion, this would save money.

By the way : if anybody here is intending to junk a sedan body, let me know and we'll see if you can help me !

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:25 pm 

When I got my 600, it came with a big carb which was running fine. But what are the differences with the smaller type of carb pictured bellow please ? Is one of them more powerfull, more recent ? Were they sold on different markets ? Was one designed for the sedan and the other for the coupé ? Are they easily interchangeable ? Which one is the easiest to rebuild ? Etc...

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:31 pm 

[quote="pierren600"]When I got my 600, it came with a big carb which was running fine. But what are the differences with the smaller type of carb pictured bellow please ? Is one of them more powerfull, more recent ? Were they sold on different markets ? Was one designed for the sedan and the other for the coupé ? Are they easily interchangeable ? Which one is the easiest to rebuild ? Etc...

Thank you

Has far has i know, there are some differences on performance, the bigger carb gives you 6 more hp.
Some cars that ended up in Portugal, but were originally imported to other markets, had these bigger carbs.
I read some things about this issue but cant remember where, i believe it said that the bigger carb gave more power and the smaller one gave more tork.
What I know for a fact is that the smaller carb is easier to find parts for and to rebuild.
Has for the bigger one it has a rubber diaphragm that tends to get cracks when the rubber is older. This was a weak point and one of the reasons that Honda turned to using the smaller type. This diaphragm is now very hard to find, the man I get my parts from had some he also had complete carbs but I don´t know if he has any left.
Its a good thing that you have one of each,to answer your question ;yes, they are easily and completely interchangeable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:05 am 

Hey great purchase on the car, I will be Lyon in August, haha, maybe I can see the car in real flesh! But I've seen a similar car while in Saigon, Vietnam, it was painted White!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:34 am 

The bigger carburetor, is quite rare to find, is a diaphragm carburetor.
It is easier to reconstruct than that of piston (which is the smallest).
The diaphragm carburetors are commonly used in the N360, these carbs are known to often broke down, and cause the car to spend less gasoline.
If you need anymore help just ask.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:50 pm 

The bigger carb does not yield 6 horsepower on its own. The bigger Keihn carb came on the 1969 Hawaiian cars and also some early US cars. The larger keihn carb was usually associated with the 45 hp engine. The cylinder heads are different on the 45hp and 36 hp engines. The smaller carb you have was the most common USA type carb. The 45hp Style carbs are somewhat rare and it is difficult to find a proper operating one at that. The smaller USA carb you can get a rebuild kit for. The larger Keihn (I think 40mm) carb you cannot get a rebuild kit for.

The larger Keihn carb was a general an early market carb. Check the cars that you pulled the carbs from. Study their cylinder heads and see if they appear different. The one with the larger Keihn should look different on the sides and should appear to have a type of an "ear" on either side of the head.

I have ridden in a 45 hp Z600 and to be honest I didnt feel the extra 6 hp. But it was still a blast either way!

Congrats on your cars! take good care of those tail lights and back up lighs! They are very very rare!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:42 pm 

Some news ...

There is still a lot of body work to be done, but I fell optimistic.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:09 am 

Nice! I will be looking forward to see more of that body work! Mine needs a lot too and with this I can take some ideas :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:15 am 

This is a parts car that I have dismantled. If anyone is interested by any sheet of metal left, let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:33 am 

Hi Pierren600 I am very interested in some parts if you can tell me the condition or make a photo of what I need, Door hinges zones, front part of the car, wheels and rear trunk area...maybe we can make a deal :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:08 pm 

Hey vynx. I will be glad to help you. But could you please make a more accurate description of what you need ?

Front end is no more available. I removed it to weld it on my project car.
The upper part of the door hinges zones (R&L) are ok, as you can see on my pic.
What part of the trunk do you need ?
What wheels are you talking about ? Front or rear ?

What I suggest is that you should take pics of your car and border with "paint" or a similar software the zones you need.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:31 am 

Hi pierren, right now is impossible because I am in Ucrania working (with some french guys from Toulusse :) ) a soon as I arrive to Spain I will make the photos, the upper part of the hinges could be ok for me cause all that zone is rotten. I will be back on 10 of august I think, if is not too much trouble for you to have the shell until then I can send the photos by then.
Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:00 pm 

hello from France Pierrot... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:49 pm 

After 2 months spent in a paint shop, my n600 is now looking like this :

It is far from being perfect. But I'm really satisfied. No more rust for years and a very nice color. May be to shiny, because it is a modern paint. But I like it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 am 

Very nice!
It can never be too shiny :wink:

Paint is a major milestone.
I wish I had come that far in my project

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:57 am 

You can see a light at the end of the cave now with the paint done :tu: congrats, really is looking nice!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next