#
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 3gODB - 1985 3rd Gen UK Civic with JDM influence @ her heart
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:27 am 

Hope you guys don't mind if I shamelessly copy my built thread over from 3GOC.co.uk .

I have other projects in my fleet on JNC but with trying to start a business this last year things have been slow. But I have found time to build a little daily driver to fly the flag for our conpany Future Racing Developments Ltd.

So here goes......

I'm one half of Future Racing Developments Ltd. and working with Tom who is a second generation petrol head and complete Honda nut and its rubbing off on me lol.

Now I'm 34, worked for Mitsubishi dealers 18 years, finished up as a Master Technician and my family had alot of early Honda's as I was growin' up. My Sis had a 1g Civic then a 2g CRX, my Mom had a 1g Prelude and my Dad had a 2g Civic 1500s and then a 3g Civic GT ;) So I guess they are in my blood too.

I loved the 3g as a kid and now with our business getting well known for maintaining and tuning Honda's in the area my choice for a comuting companion was pretty much made for me. It had to be Retro and it had to be Honda.

My girlfriend Livy treated me to a Lil' 3g DX from eBay, an unfinished project for someone with alot of welding already done but still not quite complete. But for £100 ($200) a steal over here, I became the very proud owner of some "Sexy Back" 3g goodness.

(PIC)

Now all intensions were keep it standard and cheap to run so what I save I could spend on my son, my girlfriend, house and other cars. BUT no way was Tom gonna let that happen, not that I took much persuading. I'm a total sucker for digging about on Japanese sites for info and parts for cars and talkin' to Tom about the JDM Si's he said he was sure we could get a D16 to be more economical than the EV2 1300 and more powerful than a B-Series swap with very little work.

Now my mind had been tickin' over since I had seen a 1g Teg on eBay go for £50 complete :blink: and pretty soon we found a hoard of doner parts. Everything but the gearbox which we soon tracked down.

So build list is lookin' like this so far:

1g Teg Brown Top and gearbox transplant
1g Teg lower arms, roll bar and brakes up front
1g Teg rear end including brakes and axle
1g Teg new handbrake cables
Japspeed D-series tubular manifold
Bike carbs on custom intake mount
FACET Red Top fuel pump and fuel regulator
14" Teg rims in powdercoat black with fronts wrapped in Toyo R888's
UK GT rear center panel for the Si look ;)
Rear arch repair panels

(PIC)

(PIC)

With a little help from our friends LOL, as we're snowed under trying to get a EK K20 Turbo Project and restoration of a 88 Starion finished for next month :blink: . The 3g has already made a start with our good friend Henry removing the engine with a little guidance for me and Tom it's out and the bay will be cleaned up for my girfriend Livy to paint before the ZC is droped in.

'85 Honda Civic Gold DX with Brown Top
'79 Mitsubishi Celeste GSR
'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Last edited by drive-by on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:29 am 

Exterior wise, I wanna stay pretty sleeper and retro for now. I've got 1g teg steelies which I'm having re-powdercoated black and wrapping in Toyo 888's . I'd like an Si/GT front lip and maybe some rubbing strips. Gonna colour code the bumpers too. I've swapped over the rear center panel from my GT but probs have to swap that back when that resto gets into full swing.

Been a crazy last week but managed to fit some 3g goodness in there.

We've been tidying up the engine bay ready to drop in the brown top and with the talents of my gorgeous girlfriend Livy on hand its' really starting to take shape.

A good clean up by myself and Henry was the first step with plenty of G101 and then Panel Wipe to remove any dirt and grime.

Then after some grinding of the dubious welding repairs by the previous owners it was time for prime and paint courtesy of Livy from Paint My Ride.

Now for the "GOLD I love GOLD!"

888's arrive today so should have the 1g Teg rims wrapped for the weekend, and today it's time to tear into the back arches :twisted:

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:30 am 

Waiting for my girlfriend to have time to laquer it first, then dropping the engine in at latest early next week. Yeah it's the original colour, well suposed to be but we'll see how close the match is when it's done. Gonna be respraying the whole car anyway so a shade either way isn't the end of the world.

Already got the carbs and the inlet manifold is being manufactured as we speak by a company we deal with when making custom inlets ;)

The sump on the ZC is porous so that will have to be changed, may swap on the one from the second Brown Top I just bought yesterday which is a genuine ZC1-1

I'll keep adding more pics as things are done but its all a bit crazy at work trying to get cars finished. Keep you posted when I can.

Oh and ordered the new rad today too, when it comes it should be the same as the auto and DL shuttle which if the place I got it from have done their homework will be the full size rad like on the JDM Si :D but fingers crossed.

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:31 am 

Things are still moving in the right direction 8-)

Got a call yesterday morning from Livy, "get your car ready ot be laquered, we're on our way over!"

Half an hour later LIvy and Mick from Paint My Ride arrrived at FRD the workshop floor had been swept and mopped and the car was about to be given a protecting coat of laquer under the hood :P

Mick and Livy went to work and the end result...

...3 coats deep in rich 2K laquer sealing that gold in.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

and my smile stayed for the rest of the day when my 1g Teg wheels came back from C & S tyres with the fronts wrapped in some pRoNographic TOYO hardcore 888 goodness :twisted:

Have to save up now for the rears to match, especially as we found one of the original Teg tyres was one of those french racing tyres, a Remaldi LMAO which could make the rear step out a little further than I'd like LOL.

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:31 am 

We've been very busy trying to get cars ready for the show last weekend and I had to stop working on my 3g to try and get more done on the Turbo EK we're building for a customer.

I did get a few bits done earlier in the week though.

The front end needed tidying up before starting to rebuild her and drop the motor in so after a good masking off of the painted areas...

... this was the end result after Henry and I had dropped the subframe for painting and fitted the Teg ARB and front brakes with the knuckles and shocks.

Next day Henry and I cleaned up the flywheel and connected the gearbox to the engine before dropping the brown top into place...

.... with not alot of bother.

If you've read alot about these swaps you'll have heard different ways of making the mounts work. We used the Teg drivers mount both parts bolted staright on. The rear mount had the Teg rubber but the DX gearbox mount bracket which only needed one extra hole drilling to make it fit. Finally the passenger front mount, we used the original DX block mounting but the bush section, which is often cut or the cambelt cover modified, was actuallly found we could leave intact with minor modification with a large hammer. Not Ideal but far stronger than removing material or leaving a hole in the cover.

So the Brown Top is in and a new week is upon us. I'll do more with any spare time I get and I still have pics to post of the ne carbs and the manifold we have had made for them which arrived last week 8-)

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:37 am 

So here's an update on the Brown Top fitted and the carbs on their new manifold.

And here are pics of the mounting brackets I mentioned earlier.

The rear with the extra hole drilled to fit the Teg rubber mount.

And the original DX mount on the Brown Top block with some minor modification to the bracket.

Next thing to sort is the original sump which is pretty coroded :(

So some welding to sort there, the yellow paint is where ever there are holes after wire wheeling.

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:40 am 

Hey peeps, and big Hi to Henry who has been so much help with my little 3rd gen :D

Well it's been a busy time and so not alot new to reports but all coming together bit by bit.

Under the bonnet its been mostly cleaning, painting and re-installing the original parts.

A few finishing touches have arrived too....

....My Genuine Honda Alpine head unit from Japan which I've opened up and fitted cassette adaptor which will let me hook up my Walkman phone to make it a little more up to date and user friendly.

and for the exterior my local Honda dealer tracked me down a brand new Genuine Honda GT front lip :D

Had hoped to be alot further on but still waiting for a fan cowling which is on back order from Honda.

More later ;)

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:40 am 

Been busy so things moving forward just steadily but getting the boxes ticked one by one.

This week I have completed the engine wiring bar the Rev Limiter which I will puchase later this month.

And also I've serviced then installed the Teg drive shafts which meant the gearbox oil could finally go in.

As for anything of note, well I had found when I installed the gear selector assembly from the Teg that the stabiliser shaft for the selector contacted the underbody just back from the subframe so while it was back off the car I thought it would be worth while to carry out the short shifter modification with the help of the Kakabox project thread from RPR.

I removed the slector assembly and first modified the stabiliser with some persuasion in the vise to straighten the second bend in the bar until it gives enough clearance from the body.
You can see the piece of pipe I used to extend the shifter just above where the arrow shows the bend that I removed.

Then after stripping down the selector the gear lever was cut.

The 15mm internal bar was measured and inserted then welded in place. I didn't have any 15mm to hand so I used 17mm and cut a slit down the lenght with a grinder then shut the gap in the vice to get a snug fit. You can see the longitudinal weld in the pic.

A good clean up to smooth things off with the grinder and a flapper wheel in the drill and then I gave it all a lick of smoothrite to slow down the rust more than anything, before re-assembling the whole selector and re-installing it to the car.

Now the left to right throw isn't really altered much but the 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th is now just the width of the gear knob itself. ;)

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:41 am 

A week to go and boy am I sweatin' it tryin' hard to get 3gFRD on stand in time but I'm not slacking in fact there have been some big changes ;)

Last week I started on the fuel supply and removed the original fuel filter to make room for the new fuel pump. Tom kindly donated his Facet Red Top to the cause and after being anal enough to spend over an hour deciding how I was going to fit the pump safely and with minimal noise and vibration, I came up with a cradle type bracket to keep the pump out of harms way but at the same time insulate it from the body so it doesn't sound like I have a hornets nest in the back seat.

Next job was the carbs fuel feed and accellerator cable routing/fitting. The piping for the feed and the regulator are held to the bulkhead in easy reach with another bracket atached to the 8mm bolt securing the heater through the bulhead. Low pressure braided hose completed this.
The accellerator cable fitment took longer to think about than the fuel pump :lol: but it was worth it to make room for a future(no pun intended) air box and CAI. Also I didn't want to spoil the look of that lovely brown top rocker cover with a dirty great cable chafing that and the bonnet.
Tom and I came up with a pulley system to make the cable route neatly around the back of the carbs and with some more bracket fabrication and a little paint it fits spot on. An added bonus is the accelerator travel mactches the carb mechanism perfectly and with some extra tension on the carb springs pedal feel is good ;)

Vacuum system and breathers attached and with the rocker cover I got second hand from Japan its looking quite tidy under the hood now :D

I guess that means its time for a test run.................... ;)

V V V scroll down V V V

V V V keep going V V V

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

v v v down there v v v

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3J7soCcBxQ 8-)

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:45 am 

In the last two weeks she's been to the other end of the country and attended JTS at Silerstone Race Circuit in the UK and last week I dropped her off at Paint My Ride in Darlington. After a morning stripping her down to the bare essentials she's now in prep for a full shoot in the original gold :)

More later hope JNC like her.

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:29 pm 
Administrator

Awesome project! Can't go wrong with a $200 car. Got any pics of it sitting on the steelies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:07 pm 

Lovin' it! DOHC ZC on bike carbs is a cool choice, will be interesting to see how she performs :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:19 am 

ben wrote:
Awesome project! Can't go wrong with a $200 car. Got any pics of it sitting on the steelies?

Here's a couple Merce from the 3GOC took at JTS (Japanese Tuning Show) at Silverstone. Mine wasn't looking her best after a drive through the rain and I had only just put her back together after fitting two rear arch repair panels.

Snoozin wrote:
Lovin' it! DOHC ZC on bike carbs is a cool choice, will be interesting to see how she performs

Well so far we have found with me and my girlfriend in the 3g it will still out accellerate my friend Henry's stripped out EK Vti from 50-100 in fifth gear lol. Handling and altitude still needs to be addressed but she goes well I think considering she's still on the standard pee shooter.

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:42 am 

Cool car 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:16 am 

Very nice :tu:

g1 tegs didn't come w/ steelies, only aloys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:56 am 

colink wrote:
Cool car

Thanks man

colhogen wrote:
Very nice

g1 tegs didn't come w/ steelies, only aloys.

Thanks for the props, UK Tegs did have 14 inch steelies with trims on certain models and they are the same size and design as the steel rims that were available on the base model Japanese E-AT Si Civic.
The rims, shocks,rear springs, front and rear brakes, front ARB, engine and shift linkage all came from 1 UK 86 Teg 5 door EX that was broken and parted out buy a guy and his brother who both owned Gen 1 Tegs.
I don't think we ever got the 3 door Teg in the UK so can't be certain why the US Tegs only came with alloys but interesting info none the less. Thanks

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:43 pm 

The boys at G1teg.org would enjoy this, you should post it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:32 am 

colhogen wrote:
The boys at G1teg.org would enjoy this, you should post it up.

Yeah I wondered if I should, Gaz one of the guys I got most of the parts from is "UKteg" on their boards. Top bloke and no worries with the parts I got from him. At 3GOC we are planning to attend JAE later this summer and it would be really cool if the 1g Tegs and any other old skool Honda's came. I'm sure CRXuk and 4GUK are going so should get some good pics for the JNC boards.

Quick update as I've lots to get on with today :?

These pics were taken the day before JTS at Silverstone as I rushed to replace the rear arches with repair panels in time for an M.O.T.( UK test for road worthyness of a vehicle).

Well althought thanks have to be made for the 2 previous owners making the effort to repair little Chun-Li she still needed some ne tin in the back arches as the repairs made before were decidedly less than perfect.

With two new patern panels from Cleveland panels, a few tools and a deep breath. I made a start and with a little direction from a friend who used to have a restoration business I cut out the old and began stitching in the new. You can see to the right where I measured the distance to the flaring point as to keep the lines in the right place and so the bumper would still mate up.

Alittle work was also needed recontsructing the OSR corner but htis was relatively simple and not so nerve racking.

Both outters were welded in place first and then if you look closely you can see where the stitching of the inner wing has penetrated.

After that and a little patching of the lower corner inner wing on the off side, a coating of zinc primer and then a good thick smear of seem sealer to keep the H2O out and finally a top coat of 3M stone chip to protect the iner arch and new lip edge.

As I said earlier she's gone for filler and paint to Paint My Ride and in the loving hands of my wonderful girlfriend Livy and her boss Mick to give Chun a lick of the original YR-60M Gold to bring her back to her fomer glory.

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:37 pm 

Interesting project.....pleased to see she's staying gold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:22 pm 

hongkongphooey wrote:
Interesting project.....pleased to see she's staying gold.

Thanks man, yeah it would be a crime to change it. I had toyed with maybe the group A coulours or the group A graphics ghosted in a transparrent black over the gold but somehow I just think it would look too modern if a change her appearance too much.

'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next