#
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: Moonlight AT Civic Si Resto
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 pm 

So this will be heading my way next week..

Bit of work to do.. ! Wanted an AT Si for a long time now; shame it's green but there will be some repair work to do, get it road legal then look at repainting and all that jazz. Manual too :D

Post subject: Re: Moonlight AT Civic Si Resto
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:11 pm 

Looks like a lot of fun ahead. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:56 pm 

Shame about that horrid color, but such an awesome little car!
Way back in '95 I bought a beautifully maintained 1-owner '87 Civic 1,5i GT (Euro-spec) in red. Loved that little pocket-rocket to bits... :P
Best of luck with your rebuild and keep us posted!

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:07 pm 

Yes don't worry about that colour. The long term plan is to restore it to the factory white as I prefer this over any other colour on AT :D

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 10:02 pm 

Good choice! :tu:
While I owned my red 1.5i GT a really good mate had an identicle one just in white, and yes they do indeed look good like that... 8)

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:28 am 

Finally after transport company being a bit useless it's here to join devil EF in the graveyard.

From my darkness quick checking it all looks pretty good. Wouldn't start but suspect petrol issue; maybe filter or not enough gas as the previous owner had only a little bit in there. Anyway, will do better inspection on the weekend :D

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:11 pm 

Incoming pic dump, they actually appear to be backwards compared to when I took them but no problem !

Inside view of right side tail light section, this area has been repaired before. Not hugely bad. 

What's the deal with the interior visor thing for the sunroof, anyone know?

I think there could be an issue with injectors.. either that or something is leaking onto the manifold and staining it.. any ideas?

Carpet is not so bad once I removed it, salvageable for sure.

Wish they kept it white.. damn

This is under the inside of left side back window, a common place to have some rust.Luckily it seems like it's only surface so I will scuff it all off, rust proof and paint over. Hasn't broken through and still feels fairly solid. 

Si wheel :D

Must have crashed into a tow ball or something haha.. will remove and straighten at some stage.

Actually I have 3 of the 4 mats, not sure if I will use them though.

The rear reverse lights had their own wiring, not sure why. Perhaps the original wiring was damaged. 

Interesting shift boot made of tape haha. Also somewhere along the line the shifter has been cut.. so will find a replacement. 

ECU.. was quite went in this area.

^_^ I hope it's the right one LOL no idea; suspect it is. 

The gold.

Some previous repair, pretty solid.

Same as above.

Random unplugged stuff, any idea what they are ?

Not sure if this is a good sign..

Sadly one of the lights has a chip :(

Little bit of surface rust around filler cap, common area.

Not sure about this part, will need to scuff it away and see what's underneath.. suspect will fail WOF (road legal test for those not in NZ) on that though. 

Sunroof that works, seems to be no rust around it and seals look pretty ok.

Another common place to fail as this is where water drains, around here. Has been repaired solidly. 

Windscreen surround has had some repair work, feels pretty solid as well. 

And there it sits.. next to the daily.

I think even though I do not like the paint when they did it there were some previous rust repairs done so in a way whoever did that has done me a favour.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:36 am 

I can see the crack in the manyfold on the photo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:17 pm 

Just under that white part ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:04 pm 

Had a nice productive day today, put the brake back on the EF and managed to do some work on the AT.

Couple more photos of the front radiator support which often gets badly rusted out, looks pretty good. Could do with a bit of a scuff up and some anti rust to get rid of the surface rust but looks solid otherwise.

Hard to see, lot of left over oil gunk, could use a good pressure wash !

Score, Monroe shocks, look like reasonable condition on both sides. Can't see any visible leaking. Did not check rear yet.

Smallest brakes in history haha.

What is this plug that goes into the gearbox? The previous owner has some kill switch hooked up which seems like it disables the fuel pump or main relay perhaps but one of the wires looks like it goes back into this plug?

But the big thing today.. got some petrol in it threw a battery in and after some spluttering and initial misfiring she's alive! Took a while before I forgot I had removed the ECU hahaha after that was back in, she's alive. Runs well and gets to temperature without overheating, didn't check the fans coming on though but seems to be ok other than that check. Stoked!
Instragram video - http://instagram.com/p/p0DaoQGbOA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:03 pm 

Did a little more on the car today, weather looked decent so I thought I'd try and find the wiper motor and attach that.. ended up doing a bit more than just that though haha.

A strange idea, these relays are meant to just sit inside these rubber covers by the look of it but of course they don't and just fall out, any idea how to keep them in or maybe I'm missing something that holds them in ?

On the driver side (or passenger side for LHD guys) it looks like potenially there was a crash or it could be as a result of the bump at the front pushing the lot back. Either way the fender needs to be straightened up a bit and repainted etc. Same with the side of the door.

Another problem.. due to the rust on the edge it's eaten away the mount that the bolt goes through and it just pulled off ! So.. maybe need to find a new fender or just yolo it and put all the rest on and hope for the best..

What I originally planned on doing, fitted this wiper motor which got rid of a plug hanging around :D

You can see the whole side doesn't quite line up. The bumper is a bit bent up and compared to the other side the gap below the headlight is alot more.

These wheels came as part of the deal, redundant as I have Mugen CF-48 hopefully arriving next week from somewhere down the line. Guess they don't look too bad?

Seeing this actually looking like a car again is quite nice.. I do have quite a list of things that need to be done though..

Repair rust spot under rear left window.
Go over the door hinges with a bit of rust convertor and primer them.
Sand down passenger side pillar repair and paint over with some primer.
Have driver side hinge area repaired.
Fit windscreen.
Reconstruct windscreen seal tracks.
Check why driver side door does not seem to shut as well as passenger side.
Bleed brakes.
Go over underside front crossmember with rust convertor and spray black.
Clean muck out of engine bay, old oil etc
Find new passenger side headlight.
Get a battery.
Test radiator fan working, suspect maybe not?
Find an intact intake pipe and box.
Fix rust on back hatch or get a replacement.
Clean up rust around gas tank filler.
Fit new shifter.
Wire up rear high stop.
Wire up rear windscreen wiper or remove wiper all together.
Clean carpet and re-install.
Find interior parts for around shifter area (rubber boot etc).

Also I had a spare EF9 front lip so held that up for size.. nooppe not a chance to fit that! AT is way square and alot thinner than EF.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:10 pm 

Guess I won't need those other wheels now :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:03 pm 

Certainly the undisputed coolest wheel you can possible treat a 80's Honda to... 8)

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:34 am 

02Anders wrote:
Certainly the undisputed coolest wheel you can possible treat a 80's Honda to... 8)

They're not bad but I saw a photo of one on Watanabes.. wooo man that looked good !

First of the new bits arrived, Cheddas Auto short shifter, and of course we will add a Blackworks Racing shift knob (Available from Moonlight Racing!) on top.

Also, I'm feeling two-tone quite a bit at the moment, funnily enough my friend Nigel just happened to do an artist impression..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:08 pm 

Today, decided weather was OK enough to have a fiddle and a poke. Initially was going to look at bleeding brakes today but turns out the rear left side pad is missing some kind of bracket so the pad is not secure inside, made it difficult when pulling off the drums (which will be getting replaced as well). I will get some new pistons as well for the rear brakes as apparently they are prone to leaking, so worth doing that easy job.

I did change the plugs though, these are the old ones.. seen better days:

Also bonus when took rear wheels off:

For those internationals, Jamex is a low spring brand in NZ/Aus. Although it could do with a few coils lopped off I think haha. Bonus, pads looked in good condition.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:15 am 

Did a little on the AT.. wasn't originally planning on it but didn't have much on today anyway; nothing too spectacular..

Fitted up the NGK leads, blue !

Strangely, the coil lead seems to be incorrect.. oh well I will reuse the one that was on there (Top Gun brand, bottom one)

Also went to fit up the new brake cylinders for the drums in the back, couldn't get the stupid nuts off; seems like they were spinning around freely without being properly attached to the old cylinder.. some more work required on that one. Vice grips involved perhaps. By that time it had started to rain so I packed it in. More parts incoming soon !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:45 pm 

Few more bits have arrived..

New left headlight as my other one had a chip in it which I suspect would cause it to fail WOF and I also didn't like the look of that with a chip

Front and rear Cusco strut bars

Few more bits expected in the next day or so for the rear brakes then.. hopefully can finally get onto getting the car stopping and going under it's own steam.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:44 pm 

Woop so my brake drums and locking pins/springs arrived today.. with any luck I can fit them this weekend.. we'll see how we go !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:43 pm 

Had some good things and some average things this weekend..

New headlight arrived, no more chip in it !

New front lip from some old Volvo.. not bad.

Custom !

There were some broken brackets and bits on the new light so transferred from the old light. Good thing about old cars they are easy to work on.

Didn't notice this before but this is broken T_T Need to get a new one.

Deciding whether to use OEM or make something up.. I thin OEM will be better for now.

The not so good thing is the right side drum is still seized, not sure why so gonna have another look with some folks that actually know how drums work during the week all things going to plan. Left side no problem works as it should.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]