#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: GOD12A from Sydney, Australia, checking in.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 pm 

Hi to all :)

My names Mark from Sydney, Australia. I've been lurking here long enough and thought I'd finally post up some pics/info of my RX3!
I owned her for 13yrs with 7 of those being spent rebuilding her. Yes it took a while but I started the project as an apprentice toolmaker (highest level of fitter/machinist), started my own metal polishing business for a few of those years and was short of funds for most of it!

I'll throw up a few finished pics as they're the easiest for me to find, but I have pics of the entire build spread across a few areas of my PC.
I built the car from scratch, so I made the coilovers, brake kits, crossmembers, fuel rail fittings, manifold spacer etc etc etc The only work I didn't perform myself was the paint and electrical, but the rest of the build is all me :)

She was built to be a streetable track car, where she performed very well and opened many eyes.

MODS: Why? "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached"
No pics till I figure out what I'm doing wrong :(

In the mean time, here's a list of mods performed (sorry for spelling errors, it was written years ago and I CBF reading it again to check for spelling!!):

Make/model: Mazda RX3 1974 sedan (ser2, 12a model), front end is complete Jap spec only ser3 and original (all steel, no fibreglass).

Colour/Body: Similar to the original "Earth Green". Bare metal effort from ground up with German Glasurit 2-pac layered on by GAS250 over the outside and engine bay. After paint strip we found the car has never been in an accident and the only 2 panels that had any amount of rust (bootlid and rear door) were both replaced with, luckily enough, original earth green RX3 items!!

Engine: 12A, rebuilt with new everything new except housings, end plates, rotors and eccentric shaft. Modified 3 window race bearings, modded eccentric shaft, modded stationary gears. The rotors are balanced over 30 times more accurate than factory. Angle cut bridgeport, Haltech E6K fuel and ignition computer, Bosch high pressure fuel pump, carter pre pump into 2L alloy surge tank. 4x 13BT 550cc cleaned and flowed injectors. 2" gilmer drive. Mazda JC 20B 110amp alternator. SARD fuel regulator. K&N air filter modified to suit injection. 50mm bellmouths inside airfilter for better flow. Injection Perfection 2x50mm throttle body. Intake manifold is a KYOKUTO japanese short weber carby manifold thats very rare in Oz. A custom CNC machined bakelite intake manifold insulation plate has been made to stop the heat transfer from the motor to the manifold. Custom short spacers for the Injection Perfection throttle body were also CNC machined by me. Ser6 RX7 ignition coils sit ontop of a custom carbon fibre bracket above the motor utilising custom MAGNECOR MV85 ignition lead (same cable they use in V8 supercars). Modified FC RX7 alloy water pump to run with 12a. Radiator and oil cooler are PWR aluminium items, both are baffled twin pass items. Thermo fan is an Italian SPAL 16" slimline painted gunmetal grey to match the grille colour. All hoses are stainless braided (5000psi burst pressure) with SPEEDFLOW anodized aluminium fittings. Motor has been moved further back and lower for better weight distribution and now has nolthane engine mounts to reduce the torque twist.

Exhaust: Completely hand made. Twin 2" mandrel bent primaries head into a pair of ROTAFLO 2" resonators thru an 8" long, smooth as hell collector into a 3" x 12" long stainless straight thru muffler, mandrel bent over the diff into another 18" long stainless straight thru muffler. The mufflers were made to my specs and are not off the shelf. The front half of the primaries are ceramic coated to keep radiant heat off the intake manifold and drivers footwell and also houses an O2 sensor bung for more accurate tuning.

Driveline: 4 puck ceramic button clutch with sprung centre, heavy duty billet pressure plate, RX7 FC gearbox modified to move shifter forwards a tad, indestructible gearbox crossmember with "BMW nolathane engine mounts" as gearbox mounts, 3" tailshaft, modified 32 spline Toyota Hilux LSD diff with 4.56:1 ratio. The super light flywheel and pressure plate have been balanced twice, seperately and as an assembly.

Wheels/brakes: Charcoal grey Simmons FR17 3 piece wheels, front brakes are 295mm Audi directionally vented rotors with ser5 RX7 4 piston alloy calipers on a custom brackets. RX4 brake booster and Nissan patrol 1" bore master cylinder. Rear brakes are Ford Falcon rotors with R31 Nissan Skyline calipers. Hawk HP+ ferrocarbon (semi race) pads on the front with Bendix HD on the rear.

Suspension: Front struts are Toyota FWD Celica Koni externally adjustable shocks (harder valving and much shorter than RX3 insert) with adjustable height platforms and King 250lb progressive rate springs on shortened RX3 strut legs. Front also has 24mm Whiteline swaybar, "Techno Toy Tuning" roll centre adjusters and camber only spherical bearing strut tops. Currently set to -2deg camber and 4deg caster. Rear is reset standard rate leaf springs and shortened Koni adjustable shocks. New urethane bushes throughout.

Interior: Stock as a rock with all the hard to find original parts!! EXCEPT, MOMO steering wheel, CD player, 6x9s on parcel shelf and RECARO front seats from a Proton Satria GTI. Autometer Carbon Fibre series gauges (oil pressure and water temp) sit in the old spare centre dash compartment in a carbon fibre plate.

Detail work: WELL!! :) EVERYTHING that could be polished or chromed has been!! inside and out!! (door moulds, twin post aerial, rechromed bumpers.... etc etc). I love a good looking engine bay so lots of cash was spent in there. Everything is either chromed, polished, painted or stainless steel braided.... right down to the clutch fork chroming, polished and chromed clutch master/slave cylinders and brake master and booster. I polished and detailed the throttle bodies, bellhousing and even crank angle sensor.... All plastic bottles in engine bay have been replaced with brand new items (all are now nil stock worldwide), all unused holes and tags in engine bay have been removed/welded and filed flat, old bundy cord brake lines and fittings have been thrown away and replaced with custom stainless steel items so I could polish them. There are lots of little bits many won't recognize, like the billet stainless fuel rail adapter fittings, billet alloy air filter spacers, billet cro-moly alternator bracket, single MILSPEC firewall plug for entire engine harness.

Hope this helped anyone, it sure racked my brain for a few hours!!

If anyone would like to chat about mazda stuff, feel free to PM me and we can chat further.

Mark :)

Post subject: Re: GOD12A from Sydney, Australia, checking in.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:15 pm 

I'll do it my way then :roll: 8)

PDF of magazine article (900k download)

Hope you like!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:10 pm 

Mate, that is a stunning build! It must be a joy to drive. i may need to come and see you to get some chroming done as I work on my build. Whats the name of your joint and where is it located? I assume the interior is as fresh as the exterior?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:25 am 

Looks great mate, LOVE the first pic :tu:

2 x N360 restoration projects

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:31 pm 

Heya guys :)

KIWIBEAVIS, I don't chrome plate, only polish (aluminium/stainless/titanium etc), sorry!
I'm located in Western Sydney, but have done work for clients all over Australia and NZ.
The RX3 interior is factory except from some Recaro seats, MOMO wheel and carbon series Autometer gauges; just neat and tidy :)

BENNYD, thanks, so do I!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:59 pm 

hello and welcome mark!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]