#
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:17 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Greetings from Estonia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:18 pm 

Hello, I am an 18-year-old student from Estonia. I love reading posts on how people have restored/ are restoring classic Japanese cars to their former glory and would love to own one myself, which is the reason why I joined this forum. I was hoping to get some help on choosing a car for myself because I don't really know much about cars. Sadly there are very few nostalgic Japanese cars available in Estonia, so it is really difficult to restore one once you've actually managed to find one.
So I could find a Toyota Corolla, not sure which it is, but I'm thinking it's a KE20 Coupe. Tomorrow morning I can get a closer look at this and will post some pictures. The car itself is in quite a bad shape - lots of rust, a missing driver side window, the seats are torn a little, the engine does start though, but doesn't run for too long ( the owner thinks that the problem lies in the starter ), mirrors are missing, driver side door is a little bent, the engine bay is basically full of rust. The price the owner is asking right now is 500€ ( 630USD ), but considering the fact that it is just standing in his backyard, rusting ( his whole backyard is full of old GAZ-s, VAZ-s, etc. ) then I think that I could get it for 200€ ( around 250 USD )
As I don't have too much money to spend on a project like this, I am hoping to restore it for less than 3000€ ( 3777USD ) in total. Now, I know it is a very difficult task, but is it impossible?

Any help and advice is welcome :D

Post subject: Re: Greetings from Estonia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:29 am 

That Corolla's a great choice - lots of stuff you'll need is readily available. I'd say make a cash offer and cross your fingers! Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Greetings from Estonia
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:07 am 

Thanks for the positive feedback :)
Attachment:
7631596816_5d64d2d07f_c.jpg
7631596816_5d64d2d07f_c.jpg [ 105.91 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

That's the car, wasn't able to take more pictures, because the seller resides at another city and I had to hurry back home, but that's how it looks like from the outside. I am hoping to show it to a mechanic friend of mine so I'll know just how bad of a shape it is in, hopefully not too bad :D But there is still a problem with spare parts, because they are difficult/ impossible to come by in Estonia, which means I'd have to order them from Japan ( costs too much to send them to Estonia ). However, the owner said that he had bought the car from a finnish guy, who has restored two of those Corollas already and said he could have some spares for it lying around. That means I could ask for his number or smth and see if I could get some help from him

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]