#
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: New with a TE72 from Ohio, 20v swap inside!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:38 am 

Thought I would check in with the new project, and the start of a build thread.

Car: 1981 Toyota Corolla
Engine: 4age 20v "blacktop"

Though now located in Ohio, this car started out life as a Cali resident, where it stayed for much of its life. The paint is original, and in good shape considering the age.

So far the car has Megan coils installed, and some Diamond wheels in 14x8+0. I also have a set of Longchamps for it, but no photos yet.

The 4age 20v swap is nearly complete, with just a small amount of wiring left to do, and installation of the radiator. Also trying to figure out what velocity stacks I want to run.

Interior is gutted, as the car will be seeing a lot of track time. This weekend it was time to tackle the seat bracket and placement. Threw together some old seat brack parts to get this thing in the proper place. Its a fixed bracket, as the slider wouldnt let the seat get low enough for my taste.

This is my friend nick doing some of the bracket welding

The bracket

And the final product

It was originally a blue Signal Auto seat, but the blue looked terrible in the car, so I had a custom cover made.

1995 Jaguar VDP the DD

Post subject: Re: New with a TE72 from Ohio, 20v swap inside!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:57 pm 

Stacks are stupid expensive for that engine. The throttles have a 50mm opening, and not many stacks are available in that size. Then you have the flange to worry about... If you want to buy something pre-made, T3 (Techno Toy Tuning) has them in a variety of colors and SP Tec also has a nice set, but you'll need to get them from Japan. You can lose the FWD mount that sticks out from the middle of the timing belt cover. A few bolts hold it in and it serves no other purpose. You'll probably also want to investigate what rearend gearing is installed as well. That is a rev happy engine, so it will come alive with a higher rearend gear ratio, such as a 4.77. AE111 stock ecu?

Good luck on getting it running.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:48 pm 

gotzoom - thanks for the info! do the T3 stacks work on the 50mm? It was my understanding they were for the 48mm silvertops, or am i missing some option on their website? Yeah I thought about removing that front motor mount, just havent got around to it yet haha. not sure on the rear end gearing, but i do want to switch to a GTS rear end for the disk brakes since this car is probably going to see quite a bit of track time. its currently the AE111 stock ECU, from what i understand theyre pretty solid and as good as an OBDI setup can be. Is it true that it has a fairly agressive knock sensor? I dont mind running a blend with some richer gas to get it to its best tune.

1995 Jaguar VDP the DD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:04 am 

thesilverfox wrote:
do the T3 stacks work on the 50mm? It was my understanding they were for the 48mm silvertops, or am i missing some option on their website?

I believe they are initially made as 48mm. If you need 50mm, you have to special order them and Gabe will bore the inner diameter to 50mm and have them anodized. The bottom line is you need to call or email to order blacktop stacks. I looked at a set and they seemed to have elliptical bellmouths, so I think they are pretty good stacks. The SP Tec stacks are elliptical.

Quote:
its currently the AE111 stock ECU, from what i understand theyre pretty solid and as good as an OBDI setup can be. Is it true that it has a fairly agressive knock sensor? I dont mind running a blend with some richer gas to get it to its best tune.

The stock setup does have a knock sensor. It's designed to run on 92 octane, so you probably don't want to run lower octane fuel. With the stock ecu, I doubt there is much to be gained by running higher octane (unless you're pinging with 92.) There are some common problems with 20V swaps, so check that you're not getting rev cut at 5000rpm and make sure your idle is around 800rpm. If you have either of those symptoms, you'll probably want to post on club4ag and ask for help. Those problems can be difficult to troubleshoot. Worst case, Megasquirt 8)

If you switch to an AE86 rearend, you'll want to look for a 4.77 ring & pinion for it. Stock gearing is 4.3. That r&p is pretty spendy if you buy it new, but you may be able to find a front diff carrier from a 4wd toaster van to get a gear set cheaper.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:46 am 

Sounds good! I'll give Gabe a call next week once I'm back in town. I have a pick and pull nearby, so I'll look for one of those rear ends. Megasquirt is in the plans, that or Hondata conversion. Good friend of mine runs a honda specific shop and says he's always wanted to try that out.

1995 Jaguar VDP the DD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:41 pm 

Thought I would do an update, its been a long winter. Got everything cleaned up and working properly. New brakes, new bushings, basically rebuilt everything that moved.

Longchamp wheels!
Untitled by drifterpenguin, on Flickr

got some Longchamp wheels, loaded up with racing slicks

Installed some racing harnesses

Created a little carbon divider for the cabin from an old hood.

Installed some T3 tuning trumpets, make a huge difference in performance!

Also bought a new DD, love this thing!
01 by drifterpenguin, on Flickr

1995 Jaguar VDP the DD

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:18 pm 

nice ride men!!

4age powa!! :twisted:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]