#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:44 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: New guy with an old car
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:07 pm 

How's it going everyone?

I've always been a fan of classics, I own a 72 Cougar and a 58 Cadillac back home. I'm currently stationed in Okinawa Japan. I've been working on a project that recently turned a*s up, but, now I'm getting another. Today I just made arrangements to pick up a 73' Corona Mark II. I could be a year or two off since my japanese reading comprehension is in the negatives.
Any way, the story behind getting this beauty isn't all that exciting really. I was on my way home and decided to stop by one of the salvage yards to see if they had anything worth picking up. I walked around for a bit, didn't see anything i wanted and headed back to my car. On the way out, I noticed a chrome mirror and a round headlight peaking out between another car and a stack of tires. Chrome always attracted me, so i had to go check it out. To my surprise, there sat this bad mamma jamma :mrgreen:

~I can't post pictures yet, so my exciting introduction just turned much less exciting :cry: ~

From what i've noticed, it's hard enough finding an 80's model car in okinawa that's not on it's last leg with fighting cancer, much less an early 70's model. I spent a few minutes looking over the car before going and talking to a buddy of mine. I needed someone to help me translate so I could possibly get it. About 20 more minutes lookin over it together, arrangements were made.

Overall, the body is pretty solid. There's a little rust under almost every piece of trim, but not too bad. The trunk lid is about the worst of it. On the inside, there are two rust holes in the frame of the lid, and one hole on the skin, nothing big. Surprisingly, it runs...rough, but it runs. It looks like all the interior is there, except for the crash pad/dash cap.

Anyhoosier, I've joined JNC to find as much useful info as possible about this car. I grew up around american hot rods and muscle cars, I don't know much about japanese classics.
I look forward to my time here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:48 am 

lets try the pictures again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:22 am 

loving the wheel fitment, and extra horns! Looks like a nice find, what are your plans for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:03 pm 

haha, thanks.
First plan of action is to see if we can get her running right. I just sold my s14 so this is hopefully cut out to be a daily.
Then the body will be restored, and i'll go from there.
So far, some ideas are stirring... 1j / 3s, 6 foot star shaped exhaust pipe... lol. I'm not sure where i want to go with it yet, but i plan to have fun with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:26 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Oh so dope! Give it a good home. I'd be floored at seeing an authentic RHD bosozoku style car in the US.
Welcome. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:01 am 

Nice car man, Glad to see a fellow service member that likes old cars over here. I have an RX20 and am currently parting an mx20 corona mark ii. I am at Yokota in Tokyo. Keep us informed on the car. Post in the Toyota Section, and if you need any help finding mechanical parts let me know, I have spent the better part of a year trying to find information and parts for my car so I may be able to help.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]