#
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: omori mechanical gauge (dumb?) question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:46 am 

Hi all,

My car came with a couple Omori older (& now discontinued) 60mm mechanical gauges for oil temp & water temp and I am looking to move them without tearing up my whole interior...

Looking at the back of either gauge, I've unscrewed the thumb screw that secures the protective curled wire over the stiff (brass? copper?) "sending" wire..

But I can't seem to pull the stiff sending wire out of the gauge... is it not supposed to come out?
If it doesn't come out then what's the point of this thumb screw? What role does it serve?

Does that mean I have to chase the "sending" wire all the way to the engine, unhook it there, pull it out of the engine harness in order to move the gauge to its new location?

Thanks,
I feel like I'm doing something wrong here...

-e

Post subject: Re: omori mechanical gauge (dumb?) question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:26 pm 

Don't know about that brand, but the sending wire in similar gauges is attached permanently to the gauge body. Even gauges with hollow capillary senders have to be moved from the sensor side. Loosening them from the gauge can mess with calibration.

Is it routed through the actual harness? I would separate those anyway, ran in their own conduit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:44 am 

Ok, thanks Aaron...

So the thumb screw in the pic was only used when the gauge was manufactured then, right?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:23 am 

I think the thumb screw is just en extra safety so the tube doesnt break right there. My old autometer mechanical water gauge was on piece too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:58 am 

That's a capillary tube thermometer; similar to the old Smiths used in Brit cars. The thumb screw keeps the protective sheath over the capillary tube. It prevents vibration fatigue and most kinks that would crush the tube..

Remove the bulb sender from the block and take the whole thing out as a unit. Be careful that you don't crimp the tube.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]