#
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Recaro help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:26 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Okay, bought these out of a mid eighties Izuzu I Mark Turbo at one of the local yards. 25$ a piece out the door, so condition was over looked. Onto the pics

Okay, as you can see, condition is not great to say it nicely. Any help in locating parts would be great. This is the passenger's seat, which is in much better condition than the driver's side. Of course, since they are recaros, I could use this one as the driver's...

I need to find at least the lower bolsters for this seat and both the lower and upper bolsters for the other. Fabric is not a big deal as I plan to recover any seats I had bought. There is a place in England that offers parts, but they are way expensive without shipping. Anybody have any stateside sources for these?

I have thought about building the bolsters myself. A local foam shop gave me some decent prices on foam to carve the bolsters myself. All told, from the shop, the foam would run me around 60$ or so for enough to do both seats.

If I can find the proper bolsters for say 120$ for the 6, that would be simpler and less time consuming. Options for seat brackets would help as well.

Thanks guys

Sorry, have tried to scale down the images a couple times now. Don't know why it is not letting me.

Post subject: Re: Recaro help
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:19 am 

Found this on google for new bolsters. Wedge Engineering can make you brackets and sliders if you supply them with a few measurements.

http://www.jjcustominterior.com/Foam.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:34 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Yeah, that looks good. I am also looking at getting some bolsters out of the BMW recaros if I can find any decent ones in the junk yards. Most of the time I find the BMW ones the leather is toasted. Gonna make a junkyard run today at lunch and see what I can find.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:45 am 

Those look a lot like the recaro KRX or KRXT.

The recaro rails were what we used back in the 80s to fit these seats and the pricing was reasonable enough that we used recaro rails to fit other name brand seats to cars.

In some cars such as the 240-280z, you were required to swap either the seats or the rails to the opposite side.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:47 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

well,the plastic cover on the side tells me they are the recaro 'L' series. I did grab some bolsters out of a mid 80s BMW today at the JY, so I should be good to go. For rails, I figure I will just make some as they don't look that complicated. Thanks for the help, if my bolsters don't work out, I may still look up your guy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:27 am 

I Can't offer too much help re getting parts in the US, or cheap; but if you (or anyone else who bumps into this thread in the future) is curious:
Thats a Recaro LX-B.
LX for the backrest with the pointy sides (not the step, as in LS); and B for the base style (the larger side bolsters, but no thigh support (C) or the higher again sides (D)). The mesh headrest is an option.
The bolsters are available genuine/new from Capitalseating in the UK, as is that black Fabric (Recaro AVUS).

I had my LX-C's redone a couple years ago..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:42 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Yeah, but the bolsters are 57$ US before shipping. I am gonna try to make them myself. Three of the bolsters are in good enough shape to use them as guides for the new ones. The wife doesn't think it should be hard to make new covers. Foam will run me about 50$ for all I need, so I am gonna try that method first. If I can't make the bolsters well enough, I am gonna have to go the capitalseating route.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:09 pm 
Administrator

had a similar pair once but got rid of them due to being stiff as a board
maybe you can soften them up unless you're into firm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:34 am 
JNC Enthusiast

These are acutally quite soft as far as sport seats go. Plan on a few upgrades foam-wise when rebuilding them as well. I also have a few extra of the lumbar ballons out of MkII supra and AE86 GTS seats that I may try to fit in there as well. I will take and post pics when the foam shaping starts(hopefully this weekend)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]