#
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:48 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Swapping faces on SSRs??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:57 am 

So I may have run into a problem and I need some advice/insight.
I bought some 15x10 ssr barrels off the auctions a few weeks ago. They were listed as Formula Mesh barrels.
I just got a pair of 15x7 reverse mesh in (also listed as formula mesh on the auction but turned out they're reverse).
I pulled one of the faces off the reverse mesh and it seems to be just barely too big to fit in the 10j barrel.
If I were to try pushing it in, I'm sure I'll gouge the barrels. I'm going to try warming up the barrel of the 10j and keep the face cold to see if it'll slide.

Have any of you ever tried this before? any luck?

A few other things I could think may be causing the problem;
-Faces are a bit different between FM and RM.
-Difference between type A, B, and C.
-High offset faces different from low offset faces.
-Or the barrels aren't actually FM. I'll take a picture of the ID/Size tag and see if any of you recognize it. The on on the backside doesn't look like an ssr tag, but there's one where the tire sets that has the ssr name.

Post subject: Re: Swapping faces on SSRs??
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:06 pm 

"Reverse" style wheels generally have a one-size larger center section and are not interchangeable with the "standard" style wheels.

So, a 15-inch "reverse" style wheel will have a center section used in a 16-inch "standard" wheel which will not fit in barrels meant for a 15" "standard" wheels.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:40 pm 

Stevester wrote:
"Reverse" style wheels generally have a one-size larger center section and are not interchangeable with the "standard" style wheels.

So, a 15-inch "reverse" style wheel will have a center section used in a 16-inch "standard" wheel which will not fit in barrels meant for a 15" "standard" wheels.

I just finished reading something about that. I may just have to sell the two I just picked up to get two more.
Thanks for the info.

I'll still post a pic in a few of the 10j barrels to see if anyone recognises the tag.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:42 pm 

The type "A", "B" or "C" just refers to the offsets. The actual offsets they represent vary depending on the width of the wheels, but A is always the most negative and C the most positive variants of offset. Here's a handy little chart I made that represents this for most of the older SSR wheels.

Regarding the wheels, the centres should have a ~1mm clearance around the edge of the centre when mounted normally (as you've probably noticed) so you shouldn't have to force them at all. Reverse mesh centres are indeed larger than the Formula mesh centres. There shouldn't be any difference from two different wheels where one is a high offset for FWD applications and the other is low offset unless they differ in being Formula/Reverse.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:35 am 

ill-minded wrote:
The type "A", "B" or "C" just refers to the offsets. The actual offsets they represent vary depending on the width of the wheels, but A is always the most negative and C the most positive variants of offset. Here's a handy little chart I made that represents this for most of the older SSR wheels.

Regarding the wheels, the centres should have a ~1mm clearance around the edge of the centre when mounted normally (as you've probably noticed) so you shouldn't have to force them at all. Reverse mesh centres are indeed larger than the Formula mesh centres. There shouldn't be any difference from two different wheels where one is a high offset for FWD applications and the other is low offset unless they differ in being Formula/Reverse.

That's good to know, but what wheels and size is that for? My 14" Reverse mesh are 9j-16, and my XR4s are 9j-25. I'm not sure what type either of them are, but the numbers are a bit off from your chart. As well as the formula mesh I just took apart. The type A is a higher offset than the type C.

Also, there is a difference between type A and C that I just found out. I'll put pics up later, but
The faces are different sizes.
I have two wheels I checked against. Both are Formula Mesh
15x6.5 +10 type C. The face is 337mm in diameter
15x6.5 +17 type A. The face is 320mm in diameter

The reverse mesh I have, the faces are 343mm. I know we've discussed these are bigger, I just wanted to add the size for future reference.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:52 am 

My Formula Mesh are 14" 10J -41 Type A. The centers measure 305mm. I have a set of 14" MK2 11J rims that will be here in about a month. I'll measure them and post up the numbers when I get them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:10 pm 

gotzoom? wrote:
My Formula Mesh are 14" 10J -41 Type A. The centers measure 305mm. I have a set of 14" MK2 11J rims that will be here in about a month. I'll measure them and post up the numbers when I get them.

My 14x9 - 16 are type B. ~303mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:04 am 

The chart applies to pretty much all 80's and 90's 14" and 15" SSRs when they still used the A disk, B disk and C disk notation for offsets. The newer ones don't always follow this, hence the discrepancies between some of the wheels. The chart may be 1-2mm out from the actual offsets at times, but they generally hold true for the aforementioned wheels.

Regarding the difference in centre diameter, I think they may have also used different sized steps in the lips on later produced wheels, hence larger/smaller centres.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]