#
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:48 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: Retro style CD head units?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:51 am 

Hope this is the right place to post this.

My 25 year old premium cassette player in my AE82 just isn't doing it anymore. Radio stations around here don't play anything good (I mean, its like they never heard of J-pop, lol). I even tried to "burn" a few cassettes for the player, but it broke :(

So I need a good head unit. Simple enough, but I would like one that keeps the classic look that I'm going for. Does anybody make anything like that?

I've been searching but can't find anything.

Post subject: Re: Retro style CD head units?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:46 am 

I just sold my Nakamichi MB-75 that I picked up about 10 years ago specifically because it had a classic, non-flashy look to it. The fact that it's a bad ass CD changer was a definite plus, but the whole Nakamichi line looks like it came out of the 80's.

Most of their stuff is pretty costly, and I've heard that the quality may have gone down in recent years so I can't recommend them due to unfamiliarity at this point.

I've often thought about pulling a stock radio out of the early Datsun 300z; it's a double DIN unit with analog sliders for the equalizer. Straight up boat anchor of 80's audio technology.

Here's the Nak I had:

JohnAE82 wrote:
Hope this is the right place to post this.

My 25 year old premium cassette player in my AE82 just isn't doing it anymore. Radio stations around here don't play anything good (I mean, its like they never heard of J-pop, lol). I even tried to "burn" a few cassettes for the player, but it broke :(

So I need a good head unit. Simple enough, but I would like one that keeps the classic look that I'm going for. Does anybody make anything like that?

I've been searching but can't find anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:52 am 

Why don't you just keep the old radio in and put a new one in the glovebox or something to keep it hidden. That's what I'm doin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:55 pm 

liquid51 wrote:
Why don't you just keep the old radio in and put a new one in the glovebox or something to keep it hidden. That's what I'm doin.

Doh! I didn't think of that! That's definitely what I'll do, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:10 pm 

Unless you're really dead set on a CD player, there are kits that will let you wire in a MP3 player to the stock head unit.

The one's I've seen have been for newer radios with an AUX in option, but there's got to be a way to wire something into the stock harness that will let you plug your MP3 player into a line jack or something.

I read a writeup someone did where they used an eBay special MP3 player amplifier and wired to their stereo.

I'm thinking about this option as well since it would retain the original radio, won't take up the glove box with another radio, and even though I resisted at first, my old ass is starting to come around to these new fangled MP3 gizmos!

--Joe

JohnAE82 wrote:
liquid51 wrote:

Doh! I didn't think of that! That's definitely what I'll do, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:58 pm 

the best option if you want to keep the stock head unit in you car is to buy a fm tuner unit that they use to hook up tv audio to the cars stock unit via the fm radio....

they look like this....
http://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/brows ... lator.html

and hear are other options i found...
http://indashpc.org/new/docs/Car%20Comp ... 0final.htm

and if your looking to replace the head unit for a low key stockish looking unit you can look in to clarion. their units are low price and simple and sound grate .... FYI nissan used clarion since like the mid 70's (wrong you say the optional tape player that came with my 77 810 is a clerion unit)

this are new clarion units... ( i like since it blacks out and you cant see the unit much at night)
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products/2 ... index.html
but they have simpler units on ebay.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:20 am 

Those are some great options. I was actually going to get a head unit with a USB for my MP3 player, I had no idea it was possible to wire in a MP3 player with stock radio. The FM tuner is a neat idea also. Then again, I like the option to be able to play CD’s, so we’ll see.

Thanks alot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:58 am 

Why don´t you try a retrosound unit? check this out http://www.retrosoundusa.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:52 am 

i've been eyeing up some of the vintage Lonesome Carboy Pioneer stuff on yahoo auctions lately (tape and amplifier decks) mainly because it all fits into my RX-7 without having to chop up the stereo surround AND it looks top notch, period era, etc etc. So I decided to investigate the possibility of somehow adding an aux input, and found a couple of theories being thrown around the interwebs whereby modding the tape deck pre-amp within the headunit would allow for the L and R channels of a standard RCA cable to be soldered directly on.

are there any electronics nutters on here who might be able to confirm the viability of doing such a thing? It all sounds rather complex, but the end result could well be worth it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:06 am 

Orion wrote:
i've been eyeing up some of the vintage Lonesome Carboy Pioneer stuff on yahoo auctions lately (tape and amplifier decks) mainly because it all fits into my RX-7 without having to chop up the stereo surround AND it looks top notch, period era, etc etc. So I decided to investigate the possibility of somehow adding an aux input, and found a couple of theories being thrown around the interwebs whereby modding the tape deck pre-amp within the headunit would allow for the L and R channels of a standard RCA cable to be soldered directly on.

are there any electronics nutters on here who might be able to confirm the viability of doing such a thing? It all sounds rather complex, but the end result could well be worth it :)

It can be done but I don't find it worth it to do on a stock head unit unless the unit it self has the option for a aux/cf changer option built in.... You best bet and fastest way to do a aux option in a stock head unit would be to buy a fm tuner to hard wire into your car that goes between you antenna and head unit and sbd all you would hce to do is get a 3.5 female to male rca adapter or 3.5 male to rca cable (3.5 male looks to messy since cable would be dangling) to plug in any mp3/cd player and just set the station when you want to hear the mp3/cd unit .....

Ps... If planing to do don't buy the wireless fm transmitter if you care about audio quality.....

Post subject: Re: Retro style CD head units?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:37 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

olskoolae71 wrote:
I just sold my Nakamichi MB-75 that I picked up about 10 years ago specifically because it had a classic, non-flashy look to it. The fact that it's a bad ass CD changer was a definite plus, but the whole Nakamichi line looks like it came out of the 80's.

Here's the Nak I had:

I had the same deck back in the day. Only diff mine was a pull out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:04 pm 

Pull out? Lmao.... I remember ppl walking around with their units in their hands lmao ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:11 am 

If not your style, look here for old school headunit: http://oldmobil.stopka.com.pl/oldmobil/ ... eradia.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:28 pm 

Yayoi wrote:

If not your style, look here for old school headunit: http://oldmobil.stopka.com.pl/oldmobil/ ... eradia.htm

that thing look bad ass :twisted: :tu: .... but more suited for like a 60's car. .. :tu: :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:58 am 

Too pricey for me, but I'd love a McIntosh for the dash in my Z...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:28 pm 

Orion wrote:

Defo the route I'd go, quite a few companies around the world now that will take your vintage unit and fit up to date internals or MP3 compatable parts.

'85 Honda Civic Gold DX with Brown Top
'79 Mitsubishi Celeste GSR
'78 Mitsubishi Sigma GE
'74 Datsun Laurel

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]