#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 49 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: My wheels / Wheel restorations =)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:24 am 

So like many other people on here its safe to say I have somewhat of an addiction to classic Japanese wheels and have been collecting them for a while now, but in the last few weeks have finally managed to get around to restoring some of them.

Ill start with some photos of the wheels have currently own and some that have been sold.

My current collection consists of-

Techno Phantoms | 14x6.5 x4
Techno Phantoms | 14x7+-0 x2
SSR Star Formula's | 14x7.5-6 x2
SSR Super Star Racing 3 | 14x6.5x4 (2 gold barreled 2 normal)
SSR Casablanca 8s | 14x6.5 x2
SSR Mk2 | 13x7+-0 x2
SSR Jilba Racing | 14x7 x2
SSR Formula Mesh | 14x7+-0 x2
SSR Formula Mesh | 14x8-22 x2

Plus have a few more Pairs/Sets on the way.

I started just giving the wheels a hand polish with some Autosol but was never overwhelmed with the results so when a mate begged me to sell him a set of my SSR Star Formulas for his MKII Corona (Mx13) I decided it was a good chance to start learning how to restore my wheels. So I started researching and found a few tutorials on hand polishing alloy wheels, and some friends told me a trick of jacking the rear of a car up and bolting the wheels on, putting the car in gear to make them spin and doing it that way. But to me, hand sanding and polishing would just take too long with the amount of wheels I have, and well, jacking a car up, sitting on the floor in exhaust fumes just didnt sound all that appealing either. So I rigged this up-

Its a simple concept but works wonders! This is the before and afters of the SSR Star Formulas I done to sell to a mate- Specs on the wheels are 14x7+-0 and 14x7+4

Before-

Comparison-

After-

One thing doing this set taught me was to strip paint BEFORE you polish... In hind site its really obvious haha but well we learn from our mistakes right?

Annnywaysss... Next I stripped the centers right back-

Then it was time for paint! my mate wanted them black as he originally fell in love with the wheels when he saw another pair of mine on my Ta22 Celica which had black centers.

Unfortunately I cant find the progress photos of the painting stages, but the centers were etched, primed then painted gloss black.

They then had another quick polish to clean them up from the paint stripping, then new hardware was installed and delivered to their new home-

So that was my 1st attempt for restoring wheels, and while they did come up very nice, I wasnt 100% happy with them.

My next attempt was a set of SSR Jilba Racing Wheels- Specs were 14x7+-0 and 14x7 with a low positive offset. I never got around to measuring them.

Before- positive offset pair-

14x7+-0 Pair-

As these were in worse condition the begin with I attempted starting with a harsher sandpaper which I was hesitant about doing. But in the end it worked out better! I started with a 240 Grit on these and the result was a lot more even.

Cant find photos of the 14x7+-0's but they came out even better! Unfortunately I sold these about 6-7 weeks ago to have some extra spending money on my trip to Japan =( But on the upside I did buy another pair recently which are also 14x7 but appear to have a negative offset when compared to the 14x7+-0s I had! =)

I then moved onto a pair of 13x7+-0 SSR Mk2s- They were in pretty good condition the begin with but where machine finished not polished.

Before-

Comparison between before and after the wet sanding-

you can see there is a big difference between the two, but the real magic comes with the polishing-

Polished VS Wet Sanded-

and both polished-

Then was time for paint- As the mk2s aren't as intricate as the other wheels ive done, I just used a touch up spray gun to do the painting to save time. Results were just as good.

Then to finished them off all new hardware was installed-

I was pretty happy with the results from these, I think the bright red paint just really makes them pop!

From the last few photos you might be able to guess then next wheels Ive been working on...
I actually just finished polished the barrel today. Theyre 14x7+-0 and 14x8-22 SSR Formula Meshies.

As these where the 1st wheels Ive restored with a removable center I was unsure how I should go about polishing the lips. But after playing around with them for a few minuets I realized If I mounted the disk to the back of the wheels but facing forward I could get right in to the middle (where it would normally be covered by the disk) to polish them.

Before- These are the 14x8-22s next to the Jilbas I mentioned earlier- This pair was in pretty good shape.

The 14x7s unfortunately where not so pretty. They look better in the photos then they really where. They had rash over 80-90% of the lips.

before and after of the inner barrels-

Before and after of the 7s- Surprisingly the one on the right, was the better one out of the two to start with-

ALL DONE =)

You can kinda see what I meant about mounting the center on the inside of the wheel in this photo-

I again learnt a lot more while doing the meshies. I found that even starting with a grit as harsh as 80 Grit will be fine in the end, and will remove and scratches in them, which I needed to do on the 7s. I was previously only using 80 Grit on the edges to removing gutter rash.

And thats pretty much where I am at the moment. Im planning on trying my hand out at powder coating for the centers so have ordered a powder coating System but its coming from the US so will take a few weeks. So ive started stripping the centers back which is proving the be a pain in the ass. Ive used about 3 cans or aerosol paint stripper as well as soaked them in some gel/liquid type stripper but some paint refuses to come off haha
Which will be a problem when it comes time to powder coat them as it wont stick.

So If anyone has any DIY paint stripping ideas feel free to share =) I do have a shitty sand blaster I could use if I have to, or I might just bite the bullet and have them acid dipped.

I have also ordered some red rouge, aka jewelers rouge to take them one step further and give them that show room mirror finish, so will be interesting to see how big of a difference it makes.

And to finish ill post some photos of my newest additions to the collection which are all currently on boats from Japan haha

13x10 Unknown offset SSR Mk3- Only a single wheel but planning to restore and make it into a table =)

14x6.5+5 and 14x7-2 SSR Star Formula's- I needed another pair as after selling my mate a set I was left with only a single pair. So keeping the 7s and selling the 6.5s.

Then seeing as I had a pair of Star Formulas left over I was on the look out for another pair to make a set. Then a seller posted 2 pairs for sale separately, so I Bid on both and ended up winning both haha I then bid on another pair which I lost so in the end I still have a lonely pair left over haha

The 1st pair is 14x7-2

And the other pair was listed as 14x6 or 6.5" Im hoping theyre 6.5s, but hard to judge by the photos-

And finally, my latest purchase. A set of 14x6.5+5 and 14x7+-0 SSR Casablanca Meshies! Been chasing a set of these for a while, but have never managed to win any until now. They will need A LOT of work but will be worth it. Im currently in the process of replicating the stickers as when I reco them they will come off. Im also doing some for my SSR Super Star Racing 3s as they too have the stickers on the outer lip. Down the track I would also like to make new "spec" (for lack of a better word) stickers, the ones that are on the inner barrel with the sizing ect on them.

Anyways heres the Casablanca Meshies-

I hope you enjoyed my little write up, and hopefully I didnt post too many photos :lol:

Fell free to post any of your wheel restorations or just wheels or anything really =)

Post subject: Re: My wheels / Wheel restorations =)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:55 am 

Awesome work

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:34 am 

Wow what a collection!

I just lost the bidding on some Jilbas on ebay. Oh well.

Nice Corona! I hope mine looks that clean someday.

Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:55 am 

Matches wrote:
Wow what a collection!

I just lost the bidding on some Jilbas on ebay. Oh well.

Nice Corona! I hope mine looks that clean someday.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks man!

Where they red? If so I know the guy selling them, well kinda, I helped him out finding / buying them.

Yeah the Corona came up nice! Shame my mate sold it the day he registered it =(

Here's my lasted purchase-

Takechi project racing harts! New Old Stock! Not the best size but couldn't pass them up. Also swapped the red mk2s from above for a set of 14x7.5 and 14x7 mk2s! Need some work but will clean up nicely. Will work out offsets and get photos tomorrow, but at a guess id say they are 14x7+-0 and 14x7.5+6.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:02 pm 

So I ended up swapping the Pair of 13x7+-0 Mk2s for a set of 14x7 and 14x7.5+6 Mk2s! Still need to confirm offset on the 7s.

They arent pretty with some pitting on the 7s and one dent on one of the 7.5s, but should clean up fairly well.

Theseeee also arrived Yesterday! Which means others should follow shortly :P

They are actually in a lot better condition then I expected them to be in! Only some light rash and a few scratches on the lips, but nothing that wont sand out! So these should come up very nice once they're refinished!

Ive started working on the mk2s to get them done then sold, then will hopefully FINALLY get around to finishing the centers on the meshies! Then can get stuck into the Star Formulas! =)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:24 am 

Brilliant idea!

I've got a set of SSR MK1's that have been painted black and I want them mirror spec (think they'll be easier to sell) and this is the answer. Less likely to lose a finger on MK1's too.

Awesome collection too. Very envious.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:48 am 

Some truly stunning wheels there!
And great work too. I wish a thread like this could motivate me to also start refurbing some of the 20-odd sets of wheels I have in my lock-up... :roll:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:13 am 

02Anders wrote:
Some truly stunning wheels there!
And great work too. I wish a thread like this could motivate me to also start refurbing some of the 20-odd sets of wheels I have in my lock-up... :roll:

Yeah it gets a bit overwhelming when you have a build up of wheels that need doing haha!

Ive been a bit slack lately so still have the centres of the meshies to etch, prime, paint, clear, then re-assemble
then have the set of mk2s to do (sanded the 7s so just need polishing now) then will do the 7.5s and paint them all, now the Star Formulas have landed so have them, and they're just ones to be sold, haven't even started on any from my actual collection!
Plus I should have the 13x11 Mk3, plus 2 more pairs of Star Formulas here within the next 1-2 weeks!

I have the weekend off work this week so HOPING to get the mk2s done, meshies finished and make a start on the Formulas! Might be a little ambitious but see what happens haha
Need to clear some wheels so I can start bidding on some new ones! Told my self No more until I sell some so im itching to start bidding again! hahaha

EDIT- Forgot to ask.. whats in your collection? =)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:47 am 

steveXc wrote:

Mine is a small collection. SSR MK1, SSR MK3, TRD Tosco and Ashai Mag wheels.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:30 pm 

Excellent work! I'm loving everything about this - particularly your polishing rig..!

Really keen to see the Casablanca mesh' redone. I actually watched that set go through on Yahoo, and am so glad they've gone to someone who'll bring them back to their former glory. I would have been all over them if I hadn't snatched up a wide, odd 13" pair not too long before!
With the convex, anodized gold face; black windows, and hidden lug-holes.. its just one of the nicest mesh designs I have ever seen. Almost cartoony, and just so pretty.

Keep up the great work.. and there's never too many pics!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:31 am 

RdS wrote:
Excellent work! I'm loving everything about this - particularly your polishing rig..!

Really keen to see the Casablanca mesh' redone. I actually watched that set go through on Yahoo, and am so glad they've gone to someone who'll bring them back to their former glory. I would have been all over them if I hadn't snatched up a wide, odd 13" pair not too long before!
With the convex, anodized gold face; black windows, and hidden lug-holes.. its just one of the nicest mesh designs I have ever seen. Almost cartoony, and just so pretty.

Oh were they the 13x8 and 13x9 ones?? Maybe not, the ones im thinking of wont in that good of condition unless you cleaned them up? haha
And I agree 100%! I think I like them as they are unique! Cant wait til they arrive so I can get to work on them =)

RandyWanger wrote:
steveXc wrote:

Mine is a small collection. SSR MK1, SSR MK3, TRD Tosco and Ashai Mag wheels.

Oh nice, Still a solid collection! =)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:58 pm 

Not really wheels, or wheel restorations but these arrived yesterday!!

They're 1/6 Scale wheels made by Aoshima back in the 80's I believe. Managed to score two full up-opened sets! They even come with a wheel stand and tire iron!!!
The wheels include-

1- Riverside R104
2- Focus Racing Spoke
3- Hayashi Bomber
4- SSR Formula Mesh
5- Work Equip 03
6- Advan A3A
7- Southern Way Mesh
8- Impul Hoshino Pro Mesh

Plan is to make one set up to display and keep the others sealed away haha

Last edited by steveXc on Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:26 am 

Almost got the meshies finished today! Just have one more center to do then can re-assemble them. Unfortunately my air brush decided to break so have to use my touch up spray gun to paint them, so theyre not 100% perfect, but look good enough.

Also ended up selling the SSR MKIIs as is, as I had a build up off wheels needed reco'ing and not enough time haha
So Next on the list will be the SSR Star Formulas =)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:06 am 

steveXc wrote:
RdS wrote:

Oh were they the 13x8 and 13x9 ones?? Maybe not, the ones im thinking of wont in that good of condition unless you cleaned them up? haha
And I agree 100%! I think I like them as they are unique! Cant wait til they arrive so I can get to work on them =)
[/quote]

Yep, they're the ones. 13x9 was tidy as, and there it is as-is..! literally was just removed from the box beside it.. ha!
The 13x8 needed a bit of a clean up to match though.
Good enough for me, I just wanted them to stick around the place. I have nothing that could possibly run anything like that unfortunately..

Great work on the mesh too. Great original sizes, and love the gold..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:13 am 

RdS wrote:
Yep, they're the ones. 13x9 was tidy as, and there it is as-is..! literally was just removed from the box beside it.. ha!
The 13x8 needed a bit of a clean up to match though.
Good enough for me, I just wanted them to stick around the place. I have nothing that could possibly run anything like that unfortunately..

Great work on the mesh too. Great original sizes, and love the gold..

Oh nice! I think there is another 13x8 up atm! And yeah would make some cool tables!

And thanks mate =) I wish I waited to get a new airbrush to make the centres perfect but still look tidy.
Make a small start on the Star Formulas, but that I mean I removed all the old hardware and started stripping the old paint. Oh.. and ordered some more bolts, washers and nuts. The 80 nuts and washers on the meshies used up most of my supplies haha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:13 am 

how did you set up the wheel mount.

I see how the grinders/motor is mounted, but what is the wheel spinning on. Can you take more pictures of that wheel mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:22 am 

jdmeg21 wrote:
how did you set up the wheel mount.

I see how the grinders/motor is mounted, but what is the wheel spinning on. Can you take more pictures of that wheel mount.

Havnt got photos on me, but its a ke70 corolla front stut cut down and mounted on a 18mm thick piece of steel to distribute the weight across the work bench. (obviously Ive removed the shock, spring and the top half of the strut itself)

Ill get some photos when I get a chance =)

also this arrived today!

Was listed as a 13x10 but is actually a 14x11, havnt worked out the offset yet, but it will be very negative haha
Needs a good clean, polish and paint then will become a little table =)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:26 pm 

Won these last night.

Theyre 14x8-8 Impul Pro Mesh! Unfortunately they're the plastic centre cap type not the metal with split pin type (which are my fav style of mesh wheel) and they're missing the caps anyways.
They popped up last night with a very low Buy It now price so even though I told myself I wasn't buying anymore wheels until I sell the SSR meshies, I couldn't resist.
They do have a few nicks in the lips and have been horribly painted in black (I hate black mesh wheels!! Looks soooo tacky im my opinion! especially when its spray can quality hahaha)
But they're a good size and will clean up nice. Not too sure if ill keep them in my collection or clean them up and sell them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:53 pm 

^ I know how you feel about black mesh, and black faced wheels in general. Definitely hides the design.
Matte dark grey's and black's are the colour of choice for me on some wheels though (Watanabe's for example).

Gets a little obvious its not right on that Impul when you see the painted mounted flange though! lazy..

The single wide MKIII is great. You're definitely measuring that right though?? seems a little coincidental that its 1" extra in both dimensions.. as if you're measuring the overall dimensions..

Where are you going for the replacement original-style fasteners for the early SSR's btw?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:38 pm 

How did you go about removing the curb rash on the lip?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 49 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next