#
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:39 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: '78 Impala on gold mesh wheels- Thoughts? Help?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:08 pm 
JNC Fanatic

For some reason, this really just doesn't look right. I'm rather saddened, as the wheels weren't exactly cheap either (For what they were, they weren't bad, but overall they weren't the deal of the century either). The tires are clearly too small (245/55 R16s vs the stock 225/70 R15s), and that plus the raised stock ride height (rear springs are very weak and there's a set of 4 Datsun wheels in the trunk right now, in case anyone wants stock 6 spokes off an '81 280ZX) might be why it looks bad, but I don't think that's the only issue at play. Maybe a low offset in the front of this just doesn't look right, maybe it's too big of a car to pull this off.

Any thoughts? Anyone dare to PS the rears on (they aren't on right now because I need different lugnuts, and they're definitely summer tires, and I don't want to die)? Maybe lower it a little in the process (and give it a forward rake :lol:)?

I'm all sorts of confused. I'd been trying to unload this car for an eternity, but nobody seems to want it, and after the $2000 it's cost me in just parts to make it roadworthy (and incredibly slow) since I got it for free, I might as well hold onto it and use it.

Driver's side front has a slow leak, and the grille is missing because, quite frankly, the one on it was broken, I haven't been able to sucessfully repair it, and YOU find a '78 Impala grill. Actually, please do, I can't. Been trying very hard for awhile now. I will buy a good one if it's out there.

Thoughts? Does it look good to others and only I think it looks strange?

Also- any idea what size tires I'd need to make these 16x8s the same height as the stockers? Or very close? It seems most larger diameter 16s I find are truck tires.

Post subject: Re: '78 Impala on gold mesh wheels- Thoughts? Help?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 pm 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
Any thoughts? Anyone dare to PS the rears on (they aren't on right now because I need different lugnuts, and they're definitely summer tires, and I don't want to die)? Maybe lower it a little in the process (and give it a forward rake :lol:)?

Quote:
Also- any idea what size tires I'd need to make these 16x8s the same height as the stockers? Or very close? It seems most larger diameter 16s I find are truck tires.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Start plugging in tire sizes that are readily available until you find the right diameter. :tu:

Honestly, I'm not convinced they are WAY too small, just that the stance is all wrong. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:24 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Damn, that looks good. I'm not sure if I can really make it that low, spring selection for these cars blows (and you can't cut the rears unless you make new spring perches, but, damn that looks good. Thank you for reaffirming me these wheels were the right decision.

Yeah, I realize I can get a spring shop to make it lower too. I'm also concerned about bottoming out (smashed the trans pan and oil pan in my 300 more than I dare think about, and it wasn't that low).

I think I at least need to find a tire a tiny bit bigger so I can keep my speedo somewhat close, and for the sake of mileage (laugh now). I'm kind of making this my Celica replacement since I can't seem to find anything worthwhile for now (I did want that 2-door 510, but my buddy threw a fit about even going to look at a shell of a car, so I let it go), so I've been considering tossing some fender mirrors on this thing as well. :lol: The singular driver's side mirror is of course totally useless, and since it's not controlled from the interior, methinks maybe some Celica mirrors or something along those lines might work on it. I've got a T-56 and some swaybars and such awaiting it, as well as some patch panels, so it may happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:44 pm 
Administrator

I kinda dig that slammed look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:48 pm 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
Damn, that looks good.

Yeah it does. 8)

Quote:
I'm not sure if I can really make it that low, spring selection for these cars blows (and you can't cut the rears unless you make new spring perches, but, damn that looks good.

Air bags. 8)

Quote:
I'm also concerned about bottoming out (smashed the trans pan and oil pan in my 300 more than I dare think about, and it wasn't that low).

Skid plate. 8)

Quote:
I think I at least need to find a tire a tiny bit bigger so I can keep my speedo somewhat close, and for the sake of mileage (laugh now). I've got a T-56...

The T56 will fix the mileage issue. 8)

Always liked the sporty-roofed versions of this chassis. Glad to see you saved it. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:56 pm 
JNC Fanatic

I literally can't stop looking at that photoshop. Thank you, John. 8)

Skid plate- Done. Maybe I should shorten the pan and dry sump it? :lol:

I needed that photoshop, I'd been doubting myself. It almost ended up scrapped, it's a 60,000 mile, one owner car. Original owner died in 1994 and it sat in the inheritor's driveway from then until I got it in 2008. I just wanted to get it running and send it on it's way, but the only people who want it want to demo it, circle track it, or lift it and put 36s on it.

And I... can't bring myself to let that happen. I just can't. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:07 pm 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
I literally can't stop looking at that photoshop. Thank you, John. 8)

If you want to email me a really big version, there's a few other things I'd like to clean up on it. :P

Quote:
the only people who want it want to demo it, circle track it, or lift it and put 36s on it.

And I... can't bring myself to let that happen. I just can't. :lol:

Good on ya, mate. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:04 pm 
Mild Cam

I have a ton of Cutlass parts laying around, not much for the full-size cars. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a grille. Looks good so far! Are those Trans Am GTA wheels?

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:21 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Camshaft wrote:
I have a ton of Cutlass parts laying around, not much for the full-size cars. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a grille. Looks good so far! Are those Trans Am GTA wheels?

Thanks, any extra eyes are helpful. Yep, GTA wheels. I do need to get a second pair of rears, the offsets look goofy in person to see the front and rear. So if you see a pair of GTA front wheels around, let me know as well. :lol:

Latest discovery is it needs valve seals- BAD. And I know nothing about what SBC valve seals are good or bad, or if it doesn't matter, or if there's any difference between them. And I've seen umbrella seals, but I have no idea if they help at all either. I pulled the plugs one by one to see a lot of them were tan on one side and black on the other, and #3... well, it had a giant chunk of oily carbon built up on it and obviously didn't spark much anymore. :lol: This is 300 miles after I replaced the plugs. Rings probably aren't stellar either, but the valve stem seals are definitely the main culprit here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:38 pm 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
I've seen umbrella seals, but I have no idea if they help at all either...

They work fairly well, and are reasonably cheap. Did tons of them on early 80s Buicks/Pontiacs back in the late 80s early 90s. Generally stops about 70-80% of the smoking but doesn't eliminate it completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:44 pm 
Mild Cam

Stationwagonguy wrote:
Camshaft wrote:

Thanks, any extra eyes are helpful. Yep, GTA wheels. I do need to get a second pair of rears, the offsets look goofy in person to see the front and rear. So if you see a pair of GTA front wheels around, let me know as well. :lol:

Latest discovery is it needs valve seals- BAD. And I know nothing about what SBC valve seals are good or bad, or if it doesn't matter, or if there's any difference between them. And I've seen umbrella seals, but I have no idea if they help at all either. I pulled the plugs one by one to see a lot of them were tan on one side and black on the other, and #3... well, it had a giant chunk of oily carbon built up on it and obviously didn't spark much anymore. :lol: This is 300 miles after I replaced the plugs. Rings probably aren't stellar either, but the valve stem seals are definitely the main culprit here.

So wait, do you need two fronts, two rears, or a whole set? Sorry I am confused.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:44 pm 

I like it dude, looks tough as. Get a set of "fronts" on the rear, slammed and it would look awesome, especially resprayed white or black [looks very Buick GNX-ish to me]

Daily 78 Isuzu Gemini Sedan, stock G161z, Rodeo EFI, 500hp roller, 157rwkw. Fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:11 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Camshaft wrote:
So wait, do you need two fronts, two rears, or a whole set? Sorry I am confused.

Oops, I apologize, I made a mistake, haha. I need fronts. :tu:

It confused the hell out of me too until I owned a set, haha. The GTA wheels have two different offsets- the fronts aren't as wide as the rears, but to clear the upper control arms, they're designed to have more negative offset (they stick out towards the wheelwell farther) than the rears. So, to even it out, I need a second pair of front wheels to make the rears not look so goofy. I could pay $300+ a wheel to have a local shop cut up the rears and change the offsets, but just sourcing a pair of fronts seems easier and cheaper, IMO.

And good to know the umbrella seals are worthwhile. You use the same seals for intake and exhaust, yes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:14 pm 
JNC Fanatic

And DF made this PS using a newer picture without snow and with the rears mounted-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:22 am 
Mild Cam

Stationwagonguy wrote:
Camshaft wrote:

Oops, I apologize, I made a mistake, haha. I need fronts. :tu:

PM sent.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:12 pm 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
And good to know the umbrella seals are worthwhile. You use the same seals for intake and exhaust, yes?

Should be the same, yes. The "smoke-stopper kits" usually come with 16 rubber "hats" and some silicone. You just take off the rockers, clean the tops of the valve retainers, put a dab of silicone on the retainer, pop on the "hat", then re-install the rockers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:33 pm 

don't you know??? MESHIES MAKES EVERYTHING LOOK BETTER!!!!!!!! :P :twisted: :mrgreen: :tu:

current project: 82' s11 200sx (ka24e swap)
current daily: 89' integra RS 5-door

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:52 pm 
JNC Fanatic

I bought this yesterday. "Parts Car".

I think I secretly just want to strip it like a pig, set it on fire, and urinate on the ashes because I hate F-bodies so strongly. But I feel a tinge of guilt because it seems this one may actually be special. 350/5-speed/3.23 rear w/discs, T-tops, every option under the sun, 150 MPH speedo, and a lot of aftermarket stuff. Swaybars, frame ties, springs, and the engine had a significant amount of work done to it 15 years ago. Sadly, it's been sitting a long while. Motor is locked up, hoping to free it/get it running, and decide how to lodge it in the Impala. Still probably going T-56 instead of the T-5 in it, though.

Good eyes will notice the '84 Celica in the background, the car I can tie directly to my love of JNC. We spent 4 days trying to figure out why it didn't run to basically discover it was out of gas and the gauge was reading incorrectly. :lol: That car has been through hell and back, I will say that much. Rear ended twice, ran out of oil numerous times, etc. Definite testament to 22R reliability. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 pm 

82maxtx wrote:
don't you know??? MESHIES MAKES EVERYTHING LOOK BETTER!!!!!!!! :P :twisted: :mrgreen: :tu:

Nothing truer has ever been spoken...or in this case, written. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:44 pm 

Take tha 'maro and turn it into a 24 hours of Lemons car.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next