#
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:27 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Empire Gold license plates return to NY
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:53 pm 
Administrator

For anyone who spent a lot of time in NYC as a kid, those blue-on-yellow license plates bring back a rush of nostalgia, like Checker Marathon cabs.

NY is bringing back "Empire Gold". For Californians, this is akin to the CA blue plates.

Unfortunately, the fact that that this is just a ploy to squeeze $25 bucks out of every car in the state ruins all the nostalgia.

http://www.1010wins.com/SOUND-OFF--NY-U ... es/5644201

The old plates didn't have the blue bars across the top and bottom or the state outline, but the color really brings back memories. Cruising around in my cousin's Dodge Aspen, you couldn't have asked for a shittier car, but I can smell the vinyl now. NYC was in not much better condition than the car back then too. Those were the days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:58 pm 
Administrator

Old NY plates:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:01 pm 

I wish we could go back to the green on white plates I grew up with:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:20 pm 
Administrator

Those are awesome. I heard WA was going to fully flat plates. Has that happened yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:39 pm 

ben wrote:
Those are awesome. I heard WA was going to fully flat plates. Has that happened yet?

I honestly don't know, and my google-fu is failing me right now. I do know that Washington is switching to 7 character license plates. The original plan was A1AA111 arrangement of characters, but too many people, including the State Patrol said that would be too difficult to remember, so we're going to AAA1111 arrangement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:55 am 
Administrator

Lincoln Stax wrote:
ben wrote:
I do know that Washington is switching to 7 character license plates.

At last. Now I can get a "PRELUDE" vanity plate. Just gotta move up to WA =D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:58 am 

I always thought I should get a personalized license plate with POETIC on it. That way, when someone questions my writing, I can prove I have poetic license.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:24 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I thought Washington already went 7 letters and printed flat plates, there are a few plates here in Oregon that way already, but I do sure wish they would go 7 letters for at least vanity plates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:47 am 

...I halfway want to get a Golden State/Rising Sun fake type plate made up for my car with the actual number, start sticking registration stickers on it and be secure that no law enforcement would notice or care :lol:

not that it would be original for my car at all, but blue plates are nasty, and all other CA plates, including the current, are just boring... But at least clean and unobtrusive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:47 am 
JNC Fanatic

Michigan had different color combo plates every year for ages, unlike a lot of you folks that kept the same plate style for a decade or so. However, around 1983, we switched to blue with white lettering. Which I always liked. They stopped giving them out around 2003ish, but you could still continue to get tags for existing ones up until very recently, when they nixed the whole thing. The replacement is white, blue lettering, with a big blue rectangle at the top. And it sucks. There's a handful of custom plate designs, mostly school symbols and lame things like "I love children", but in 1996 there was a 100th anniversary of the automobile plate that was kind of cool, and if someone had gotten one you can still get tags for it and transfer it from car to car (we can do that in MI, I get the impression you can't in Cali. In Michigan you can't transfer a plate between owners even).

^The beloved blue/white plate

^What the current replacement is... eh.

These two are optional at extra cost plates- the orange/blue one of the bridge isn't made anymore, but you can still register them (my 300 has one still)

This is the one-year 100th anniversary of the automobile in the US one (that was a pretty big event when it happened)

And a few of my favorite older plates-

The '76 plates lasted until 1979, and the 1979s lasted until 1983. Amazingly, up until VERY recently (last 2 years or so), government vehicles were still running around with the '76 style plate. And not vehicles that old, they were putting them on new cop cars, school busses, work vans, etc. Kinda weird, never understood how that worked. Gov't plates don't expire, I guess, so they just kept moving them from vehicle to vehicle.

We also used these tabs for a few years in the late '50s/early '60s-

A lot of them seem to have serial #s of some sort stamped in them as well, probably an attempt to keep people from stealing them off cars and using them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:17 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

With Oregon they don't issue new plates every time you register, the plates can transfer from vehicle to vehicle with the right paperwork, but can also be transferred from owner to owner. You only get new plates if you lose 1 (we have to have both front and back plates :| ), buy a new car, or buy a used car off a lot where they pull plates (usually cause they are bought at auction from out of state). So you could say you can see just about any plate under the sun for Oregon out and about still lol. I just wish they would get with the times and follow Cali with the smog laws and get with the program with the 25 year rule, because, they still require anything from 1975 on up to go through DEQ (Smog for you cali guys) and it is a pain to have to pay up the yin yang for my 76 when it should be exempt from all that like Washington and California have done already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:11 pm 

bajasoobnut wrote:
I just wish they would get with the times and follow Cali with the smog laws and get with the program with the 25 year rule, because, they still require anything from 1975 on up to go through DEQ (Smog for you cali guys) and it is a pain to have to pay up the yin yang for my 76 when it should be exempt from all that like Washington and California have done already.

I thought Cali still had the smog check for anything 76+?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:41 pm 
Administrator

datsunfreak wrote:
bajasoobnut wrote:
I just wish they would get with the times and follow Cali with the smog laws and get with the program with the 25 year rule, because, they still require anything from 1975 on up to go through DEQ (Smog for you cali guys) and it is a pain to have to pay up the yin yang for my 76 when it should be exempt from all that like Washington and California have done already.

we do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:25 pm 

two decades ago when I was stationed in New Jersey these were the scariest things you could see on the Garden State Parkway:

these were (are???) also like black Cali tags in that they lingered on into the 1990s after NJ had also converted to a blue plate in 1979. in joy-zee they were most likely to be seen on huuuuuuuge vintage Mopars driven by tiny blue-haired women with jet age styled, coke bottle lensed glasses or shrunken little men with equally thick glasses and check-patterned wool mini-fedoras that had been the height of fashion in 1967.

these tags were often accompanied by faded bumper stickers praising Hoffa (the senior, vanished one) or denouncing Reagan or encouraging a fellow motorist to join the driver for family league night at a particular bowling alley in Bayonne so "together we can beat my wife!".

such vintage plates were most likely to be seen in the toolies or pine barrens rather than urban areas but sightings were not impossible in the decaying, pink and gold formica infested, plastic flamingo guarded 1950s housing tracts of Secaucas or East Orange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:28 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

burabuda wrote:
datsunfreak wrote:
bajasoobnut wrote:

we do

They went back? I thought they went to a revolving 25 year setup. But of course this is Cali we are talking about lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:17 am 
JNC Fanatic

Cali froze the exemption to just 1975 and older now. :td:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:21 pm 
Administrator

Does anyone know if NY has a loophole that allows you to run old plates? In CA you can run blue plates as long as you have them, but NY seems like they make you turn them in. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:54 pm 
Administrator

Stationwagonguy wrote:
Cali froze the exemption to just 1975 and older now. :td:

well if it weren't for SEMA lobbyists the cacafornia legislature would have made it 45 years or older smog exemption, so we have to somehow be thankful we ended up with a compromise ... realize this is more about partisan politics than emissions concerns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:08 pm 

bajasoobnut wrote:
I thought Washington already went 7 letters and printed flat plates, there are a few plates here in Oregon that way already, but I do sure wish they would go 7 letters for at least vanity plates

Talked to the fine folks at the DMV today and we did indeed go 100% flat already. It's just been a trickle down to get rid of all the old ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:38 am 
Administrator

Oh no... does WA let you keep the old ones indefinitely as long as you own the car?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next