Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]

Brock Lesnar or Randy Couture?
Lesnar 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
Couture 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: Any MMA fans here?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:37 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Big UFC fight this Saturday.... I like Couture a lot but I think he is losing on Saturday... Lesnar is a beast and he is getting better with every fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:41 pm 
Administrator

Don't have cable :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:57 pm 

I think Couture is the far better fighter. If he can submit Brock, I will be impressed. I voted Lesner just based on SHEER brute strength. I am into martial arts myself and I am a big proponent of the fact that a small person can beat a larger person if they are skilled enough. I also took physics though and it doesn't look good for Couture.

I really want Couture to pull it off though. I would hate for some big physical guy to come into the UFC and dominate based on his size.

I wonder what type of politics there will be after the fight too. Couture is STILL technically the champion. But then you have Mir and Noguiera fighting later. The next heavyweight fight will HAVE to be between the two winners in order to have a legitimate champion.

1977 Toyota Celica GT liftback

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:20 am 

Mixed
Martial
Arts

It encompasses a mixture of many martial arts. It includes standup striking, wrestling, and ground fighting as well. If you have see UFC or Pride, then that's what it is. Back in the days when it was more primitive, it was called "cagefighting." Now it is better regulated and the fighters are protected very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:37 am 
JNC Enthusiast

ben wrote:

I normally go to a Sports Bar to watch 'em... usually at Nationals in Torrance. If you're in town and you're interested let me know, Ben!

slowmo wrote:
I think Couture is the far better fighter. If he can submit Brock, I will be impressed. I voted Lesner just based on SHEER brute strength. I am into martial arts myself and I am a big proponent of the fact that a small person can beat a larger person if they are skilled enough. I also took physics though and it doesn't look good for Couture.

I really want Couture to pull it off though. I would hate for some big physical guy to come into the UFC and dominate based on his size.

I wonder what type of politics there will be after the fight too. Couture is STILL technically the champion. But then you have Mir and Noguiera fighting later. The next heavyweight fight will HAVE to be between the two winners in order to have a legitimate champion.

What art do you practice? I'm a Judoka... but I haven't practiced in a few months. Want to start again this winter. In Judo they always stress the fact that size and strength doesn't always matter so I agree with you in that sense. It was even proven when Brock fought Mir...

But I still think Brock is going to win this fight!

From my understanding the fight between Mir and Noguiera will determine who fights the winner of the Brock vs. Couture battle in which both titles will be absorbed into one championship title. The heavyweight action has been almost non-existent lately (due to contract issues with the "reigning champion" Couture) hopefully this kick starts that weight class as there is a lot of talent out there and IMO I think the weight class was being held back due to Couture's Hollywood movie-making...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:39 am 

I did taekwondo for years as my primary style. I studied traditional taekwondo, olympic-style taekwondo, some hapkido (throws, joint manipulation, bone breaks, etc.), and just enough grappling to survive on the mat if all else failed.

I have been out for years--a wife, three kids, and a career are not very conducive to regular practice.

The only thing I am worried about is that Brock's chin has never been tested and the fact that we haven't seen Brock on his back too much so we don't know how he will react if he is in that position. I just think with his sheer size and explosiveness it will be hard to keep him down even if/when Couture takes him down. After all, Couture is BARELY a heavyweight. Skill and technique balances out size to an extent, but there are weight classes for a reason.

I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:47 pm 
Administrator

zetozeto99 wrote:
ben wrote:

I normally go to a Sports Bar to watch 'em... usually at Nationals in Torrance. If you're in town and you're interested let me know, Ben!

Agh, don't have time. But thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:40 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Lesnar brought it! We have a new heavyweight champion!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]