#
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:32 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What DSLR Camera should i buy ?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:00 pm 

Ok so Ive been doing a lot of research lately looking for a DSLR camera around th 500$- 800$ price range. I had it narrowed down to two :
Nikon D5000

Pentax K-r

The Nikon got discontinued in the past couple moths so im really ready to get the Pentax but would like some opinions.

Im mostly gonna be using it to take pictures of my kids, cars, anything interesting, I really want to get into it. My girlfriend is an Art major, so im kinda looking for something to do to keep up with her ! lol

Let me know what you think

Ps
I have no experience using a camera except on my iphone haha

Pentax is so sexy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:51 pm 

If you are down to those two, take the Nikon. Nikon and Canon are the only two brands I personally would buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:48 pm 

Are you at all open to pre-owned? for that budget you could probably get into a clean used Nikon D200 or D300?

I'd take a used "professional" camera over a new "consumer" camera any way. and usually do. :P

I carry a D200 and a D300. And now that there are plenty of used D700s on the market, I may replace the D200 soon... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:25 pm 

I would agree with the Nikon and Canon statement (though I personally prefer Nikon :)

The reason isn't personal though, it's the fact that those two have the most support. Not only can you buy their lens, the main lens manufactures (Sigma/Tokina/etc) make them for those brands as well. So you end up with much more lens options. Anyone I know who bought other brands and became really avid photographers either switched to Nikon or Canon and/or wish they had bought one of those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:53 pm 

KC30 wrote:
I would agree with the Nikon and Canon statement (though I personally prefer Nikon :)

The reason isn't personal though, it's the fact that those two have the most support. Not only can you buy their lens, the main lens manufactures (Sigma/Tokina/etc) make them for those brands as well. So you end up with much more lens options. Anyone I know who bought other brands and became really avid photographers either switched to Nikon or Canon and/or wish they had bought one of those.

Plus at this point in time you can pick up a Canon Rebel XSI for about $500-600 now. I recently got a Canon Rebel T2i, could have gotten just a XSI, but I wanted to take video as well.

77 Colt Galant Wagon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:44 am 

datsunfreak wrote:
Are you at all open to pre-owned? for that budget you could probably get into a clean used Nikon D200 or D300?

I'd take a used "professional" camera over a new "consumer" camera any way. and usually do. :P

I carry a D200 and a D300. And now that there are plenty of used D700s on the market, I may replace the D200 soon... :P

I am just was kinda weary about buying a used camera because i don't know much about them, so i wouldn't be able to tell if certain things would be wrong with it. I'm not sure if a professional camera would be to much for me, would a beginner like me be able to pick and use ?
That being said do you have a ballparck price and time frame when you would want to sell? pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:48 am 

KC30 wrote:

Yea that was one of the pluses for the nikon, the lens support!

And i just found the Nikon D5000 back at bestbuy on sale for $599!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:52 am 

Im going to Los Angeles this weekend for the Art in the streets show and i might have to make a decision by then... Ill let you guys know what i get !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:03 am 

I'd be going the Nikon or Canon route as well.

I know one of the top rally photographers here in Australia and asked him what he thought was the best brand. His answer was Nikon even though he uses Canons. He said the reason why was because the software and technology was better than any other brand. The reason he didn't swap to Nikon was because he started of with Canon and it would cost too much to swap and that the lenses were interchangable between the Canons which I think is also true with the Nikons.

I think you can't go wrong between the Nikon or Canon.

I'm thinking of getting my first DSLR and have my eye on either the D5000 or the D3100 which I think is the replacement for the D5000
http://www.nikon.com.au/pagearticle.php ... a59169119a

Nath

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:47 am 

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting my first DSLR and have my eye on either the D5000 or the D3100 which I think is the replacement for the D5000

No it isn't. The D5100 is the replacement for the D5000.

http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem.php ... f4320ceaf9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:09 pm 

I just got a Canon rebel T3. I like it s far. Ato does good but I want to learn how to manually adjust everything myself. We went on a small weekend trip. And I still need to load some of the pictures to photobucket. Ill post some of them on here when I get them all to photobucket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:03 pm 

Nath76LA wrote:
Quote:

No it isn't. The D5100 is the replacement for the D5000.

http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem.php ... f4320ceaf9

^^ THAT IS SICK!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:34 pm 

i posted pics in the "your own photography?" thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:29 pm 

I'll check them out ! :) I settled on the Nikon D5000! Will be buying tomorrow, only two in my area, so hopefully they still have them !! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:23 pm 

Nath76LA wrote:
and it would cost too much to swap and that the lenses were interchangable between the Canons which I think is also true with the Nikons.

On most of the Nikons you can even use the old manual focus lenses from the 70s. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:29 am 

datsunfreak wrote:
On most of the Nikons you can even use the old manual focus lenses from the 70s. :P

Nostalgic lenses!!!

I love my Canon 50D, but I agree that you can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:23 pm 

Nikon and Canon are the best, I personally use Canon for two reasons, 1 the company I work for supplies them,(I shoot with a T1i, very good quality!) and 2, Canon is very simple to understand and use. I've heard the quality between Nikon and Canon are very comparable, however Nikon is usually more expensive. I"m trying to get a hold of a Canon T2i here soon for my own personal uses, and will probably upgrade from the kit lens. Some of the best advice I've received recently, is no matter what platform you go with, I'ts mostly about the lens quality! Whatever you go with, a lens upgrade is probably a must! for what you want to do I'd suggest a telephoto lens with somewhere between an 18-200 mm Range (The telephoto end is good for portraits.) Good luck! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:12 pm 

D90.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:26 am 

in the 'good ol days' my choice was Minolta, but switched to Canon and haven't looked back.

I have a 5Dmk11 with a few lenses and a PowerShot for easier transportation. Cannot complain with either at all.

Post subject: Re: What DSLR Camera should i buy ?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:59 pm 

So I bought the Nikon D5000 and love it !! The vari angle live view is sick! Also bought crumpler strap and Lowe pro bag ! Next on my list is a wide lens and zoom lens all I have is the 18mm - 55mm, really need some uv filters too

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next