#
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Four years in the making only to end like this...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:42 pm 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/ne ... jures-two/

long story short, my mate Shaun spent four years and over $20,000 putting his V8 Skyline coupe together (it was one of the very first Nissan VH41DE conversions attempted worldwide, and the only HR31) - he's very meticulous when it comes to researching and building stuff. Monday was meant to be its maiden voyage around Taupo racetrack, but instead not 20km from Taupo the tow van got its death sway on and ended up flipping multiple times, as well as the car trailer... with Shaun's car strapped to it :shock:

Words cannot express how absolutely gutting this is, but fortunately no one was killed and no other vehicles were involved - Shaun's dad and his friend Reuben were injured but are on track to making a full recovery.

however the power of the internets continues to amaze... as soon as news of the accident spread, GP Forums rallied together, money is being raised, and my contacts in Japan are currently looking for a new shell to import and transplant all the running gear into. Hopefully the GTS-8 will be back better and stronger than before.

I stopped in at Shaun's dad's on the way to Taupo on Sunday evening, the night before the accident. The guys were in the process of prepping the paintwork for the final time. I regret not taking any photos of my own in the dusk light, it looked simply stunning :(

A couple of arty shots I took on film last month as it was nearing completion. Was saving these for a future post on my blog, but I guess now is as fitting a time as any:

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:03 pm 
Administrator

That's a cryin' shame. At least all parties are healthy. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:55 am 

yeah its good they are both OK, and will make recovery to build another!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:24 am 

I heard about this, Shaun has been helping myself & Adam put a VH45de in Adams 300ZX. Damn Shame about this I never got a chance to see the car or go for a ride :( I heard it went hard.
Look forward to what he can put together in the future 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:46 am 

everyone at the track says the most dangerous drive is to and from the track... that sucks man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 am 

e-at_me wrote:
everyone at the track says the most dangerous drive is to and from the track... that sucks man!

yeh, I've heard the saying before. Even worse, he wasn't even driving the car to the track - it was being trailered :shock:

anyway, the good news is that Shaun now has a new HR31 GTS-X on its way from Japan thanks to the kindness/donations from forum denizens and various other people who volunteered time and services.

The new one is exceptionally tidy so will serve as a decent starting point for GTS-8 Mk II :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:22 pm 

sorry to hear that.. looked like an amazing build tho very impressive.. hopefully this one will go smoothly and not take as long.. i remember when i lived in okinawa there were quite a few of that body style around.. glad to hear one's ont he way tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:29 pm 

It's a shame about the car, but it's fortunate no one was seriously injured. Good luck on the new one and keep us posted.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]