#
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:38 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 13 of 15   [ 286 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Bellet of the ball!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:24 am 

Your on the home stretch it looks like! Keep at it and she will be moving under her own power in no time. Good job on the Hakosuka thermostat find as well. $50 is quite steep for a thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:47 pm 

So close David! :D

Will the Bellet be shipped back to the States when you are done with her as well to join the little Minica, or will you be enjoying it in Japan for awhile first? :)

(Did you ever sell your Life yet...?)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:08 am 

Location: Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney
It's a little difficult to tell from the photo but the ignition switch you're holding looks fairly similar to a 240/260Z switch and I know that you can still get those (OEM even)
Could they be a generic part perhaps?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:50 pm 

Happy belated Birthday and love the cakes David! Especially the one that applies to this thread! :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:37 pm 

Thanks for the comments everybody!

LoRollins, she's so close to moving under her own power, it's driving me crazy! I forgot to upload a pic of the Hakosuka thermostat in the Bellett housing, but I did actually take a photo before I filled the whole thing with coolant. As you can see, it's pretty much a perfect fit.

Tj75gc, the ignition switch is definitely similar to an S30 switch, but those switches tend to sell for about 60 dollars here, which is a bit pricey for my blood. The switch I picked up only cost me about 12 dollars, so I wasn't risking a whole lot. I put some pictures down below of how it worked out!

Darkstrike, thank you for the birthday wishes! The Bellett is indeed going back to the States when she gets mobile. I'm not even going to register it here first. Once in the states, everything will get a solid once over, then we plan on loading up with a ton of spare parts and tools and then going for a cross country road trip in the old girl!
As for the Life, well, she never sold. So, I put her back into daily driver duty and she just continues to plug away, refusing to give up. I respect a car as resilient as that one, so I'll probably send her back to the States at the same time as the Bellett and give her a proper restore there.

As Darkstrike mentioned, I had a birthday this past weekend! I had zero plans and told my wife not to do anything too crazy for me, but, unbeknownst to me, she was working quietly behind the scenes to get one of my good friends in Tokyo to come down to visit. Normally, that would be awesome enough, but he brought a buddy of his and they both rode their Harleys down! To make it all even crazier, it was pouring rain that day!

That’s my buddy’s bike in the foreground and his buddy that rode down with him in the background. My buddy’s bike is a 2008 Harley Davidson VRod, lightly breathed on to make a mind boggling 120 horsepower to the wheel!

The other bike is a 2004 Harley Davidson VRod.

It has also been tuned with the addition of a turbocharger!

He was told that this kit should bump power up to 180 hp, and I believe it, that turbo is massive for a motorcycle!

I naturally had to take a seat on the bike to see how it fit. Being 6 foot 4 inches tall means that the bike fits me just about perfectly.

My lovely wife on the other hand, well, she’s a bit smaller than I am.

After hanging out and catching up, we all went out to dinner at our favorite Izakaya. There they shut all the lights off and brought out my birthday cake!

Awesome indeed!

All in all it was a pretty awesome birthday! Good friends, good food, good times and the perfect wife!

Despite all the birthday madness, I did manage to steal a little bit of time to get some actual work done on the car. One of my main goals was to completely button up the engine bay (with the exception of the brake master cylinder). The first order of business was the throttle linkage. I broke the little ball joints on the likage when I took it apart and couldn’t find any spares on the internet anywhere. So, I dug around the parts cars at Classic Car Nagoya until I found two little ball joint sets. I quickly bought them up and got to work modifying the linkage to fit.

For the above linkage, I had to shorten the rod between the two joints and drill out the lever on the lower linkage to fit the new joint type. For the joint from the linkage to the carbs, it was a pretty simple bolt on affair.

Aside from some carb tuning and the brake master cylinder, this area of the car is done!

I wanted to get my ignition switch in and mounted as well, but I needed a bracket that would allow me to mount it rotated 90 degrees. Well, a quick trip to the hardware store and I picked up one of those little metal feet for a table. A few cuts and holes later and I had a nice, strong little bracket holding the switch in place.

The factory plug even plugs right into the switch with no problem. The whole thing works perfectly!

My old brake light switch was broken as well, so I bought a new generic one and popped that in while I was under the dash.

Finally, it was time to drop the hood back on!

I also jacked the old girl up and put her on stands so I can start on the brakes.

That was as much as I managed to get done this last weekend, but she’s so close I can almost count the things that need to be done on one hand!

New U-Joints
Rebuild brake system (master, wheel cylinders and calipers)
Hook up clutch linkage
Install gear shift lever
Change trans and diff oil
Tune carbs

Soon! Very soon!

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

Today's garage soundtrack:
Hans Zimmer - Dark Knight Rises OST
http://youtu.be/nsMSABOrEN0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:11 am 

Glad to hear your little Life is still kicking around as well! :)

As for the Bellet, the time is getting closer and closer....I imagine a road trip across the States would be hella fun when that time comes!!! A fitting 'start' to it's post-restoration adventures! You're lucky you've got CCN, super luck finding those joint sets so quickly, and also great that that ignition plugged right in as well. I assume now you'll have one key for the ignition, one key for the doors and possibly a separate one for the trunk...? Or are you going to get some of the keys / locks changed so they match at some point...?

Nice bikes, those Harleys...the mirrors on that '08 Vrod look a bit useless though, very small and a cool, but odd shape....aftermarket I presume?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:09 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Can a water-cooled otaku tell me please about jiggle valves? Being air-cooled usually, they're a bit new to me... Supposed to stop bubbling before they open, and need to be installed at the top of the thermostat? Any implications on mounting one horizontally? I cannot imagine so... Neko.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:59 pm 

darkstrike wrote:
Glad to hear your little Life is still kicking around as well! :)

As for the Bellet, the time is getting closer and closer....I imagine a road trip across the States would be hella fun when that time comes!!! A fitting 'start' to it's post-restoration adventures! You're lucky you've got CCN, super luck finding those joint sets so quickly, and also great that that ignition plugged right in as well. I assume now you'll have one key for the ignition, one key for the doors and possibly a separate one for the trunk...? Or are you going to get some of the keys / locks changed so they match at some point...?

Nice bikes, those Harleys...the mirrors on that '08 Vrod look a bit useless though, very small and a cool, but odd shape....aftermarket I presume?

The Life is indeed still around. I started collecting a few parts here and there for a bit of refresh I got planned, so hopefully I can get an update going on that pretty soon!
I got pretty lucky with the ball joint sets. They're actually from the carbs off a 1600GT Bellett. They were just different enough to need a bit of work to fit, but they seem to work pretty well.
For the ignition switch, since I just changed the electrical portion on the back, the key cylinder stayed the same so I can continue to use my original keys (which, admittedly are pretty worn). That means one key for the ignition and another key for the locks (door, trunk, fuel lid).
The mirrors on that 08 VRod are pretty useless, but they're infinitely better than the single, pencil thin mirror on the 04 VRod. Truthfully, it doesn't matter too much, the bikes are so loud, it'd be impossible to not watch out for them, haha.
I'm super looking forward to the road trip! The plan is Texas to Arkansas to New York to Pennsylvania to Kansas City and finally back into Texas. I think when it comes closer to the time, I'll post up our planned route here on JNC and if anyone is close by, we'll take a short detour to go say hi!

Kuroneko wrote:
Can a water-cooled otaku tell me please about jiggle valves? Being air-cooled usually, they're a bit new to me... Supposed to stop bubbling before they open, and need to be installed at the top of the thermostat? Any implications on mounting one horizontally? I cannot imagine so... Neko.

Neko, to the best of my knowledge, the jiggle valve is there simply to let trapped air out of the closed system of the engine. Usually you place it straight up (since air travels to the highest point) like you're thinking, but when it's horizontal, I have no idea if it makes a difference what orientation you place it in, haha.

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am 

Definitely stop by Philly if you're going through PA! I'd love to see this beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:27 am 

New York is only a few states and provinces away from me up here in Nova Scotia, we even have a ferry service from Bar Harbour, Maine! It wouldn't be THAT long of a detour! >_> <_< >_> Ha! :P

Pretty cool that you can use your original keys at least, they may be worn, but it would add a nice bit of originality to the experience of driving the Bellett! :) Random question...have you ever thought of putting a hidden kill switch in your cars? I know quite a few people do it on older / rarer / etc. cars in case people go to try and steal them (not that I think that is going to happen, just curious as it seems like a solid safety precaution!)

Yeah...figured those mirrors weren't great. I actually didn't even notice the single 'pencil' mirror on the other bike...probably because it was so small, haha!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:10 am 

David, awesome updates! Keep the pics coming!

Bart

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:55 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

This thread is just so full of awesomeness!!! :lol:
I just took the time to read through the whole thing. What a great write-up.
And such a cool little Bellett too. Almost back on the road too - keep up the good work David... :tu:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:42 pm 

Thanks everyone so much for the comments!

gtxtom, Philly just so happens to be right on the way to Boston and Albany, so we'll definitely stop by!

darkstrike, Nova Scotia is practically right next door, haha. In regards to kill switches, my father had a kill switch on the battery for his Austin Healey and it actually ended up causing some pretty strange problems. The contacts in the switch went bad after a few years and it ended up being more trouble than its worth. If I lived in a populated area I might think about it, but here in Japan crime is minimal and in Texas where my parents live, the population is 1,300 people, so no real crime to speak of there too.

Impulsive and 02Anders, thank you guys for taking the time to read the build thread!

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get any work done on the car because my garage has been tied up creating demonstration tools for my work. I'll finish that up this weekend though, so next weekend I can get out there and if the gods smile upon me, maybe get the old girl mobile.

However, just because I haven't been able to get any work done, doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about the old girl. As has been a prevalent question in this thread for the last year or so, I kept asking myself what to do about wheels. Part of me wanted to just grab some steelies and call it a day. Another part of me wanted to go the tried and true route of Watanabes. But the loudest part of me wanted something unique. So, I got on the internet to look for inspiration. Naturally I ended up looking at classic rally cars and stumbled across these photos:

Ya, I want a Lancia Fuliva something fierce. However, those wheels look stunning. So, I started searching through Yahoo Auctions and found a set of wheels that I really liked that were similar, but not identical to the Fulvia's. I waited the auction out and got them for a steal at the last minute. They arrived last night and I must say, I'm super pleased with how they look and fit!

Once I get some tires on them (which should arrive soon) and can get the old girl outside, I think they'll look fantastic!

Unfortunately, that'll all have to wait until the weekend after this coming weekend as I'm hammered busy with work stuff until the 10th. Soon though!

Thanks again for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:59 pm 

As always, thanks for the continued posting and inspiration! :D

I love classic and some modern JDMs (especially keis!) as much as any of us, but I have a HUGE penchant for classic Italian iron as well. LOVE the Fulvia, and those rims match the Bellett very, very nicely! Sort-of a Subaru paint scheme with the gold rims / blue paint, but those rim designs are so much different than the well-known Subie designs that it has it;s own unique look for sure! Cant' wait to see her sitting on rubber and out in the sunlight! :)

Didn't figure you'd ever go the kill switch route...was curious more than anything! :) Sorry to hear the one you experimented with caused issues on your dad's beautiful Healey...I assume he's since removed the switch completely?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:10 pm 

That looks awesome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:40 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Very cool choice of wheels! 8)
Similar to the Campagnolo's on the Fulvia, but at the same time they somehow manage to have a more Japanese touch to them. The gold colour is a great contrast to the dark blue bodywork too. Will look great with some oldschool high-profile rubber wrapped around them... :tu:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:33 am 

Man, it's going to look trick! I am so jealous you will have this car in the States!!

Bart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:53 pm 

came across a pic of your twin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:10 am 

Great choice of wheels 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:18 am 

those wheels will set it of nicely!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 13 of 15   [ 286 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next