So you didn't notice the Hitachi logo on top of the float chamber??
Doh! I probably should have researched what the Hitachi logo looked like before i went posting, haha.
Well, I've been MIA for a little while, but I have a pretty good excuse this time. Insted of typing it all out, I'll just post up this picture here to do the explaining for me!
Yup, a business trip to Myanmar tends to slow down wrench time in the garage! Regardless, after I got back, I decided it was high time I got grease in my fingernails again. First up was getting the engine off the engine stand.
Then I cleaned up the flywheel and clutch and bolted those back on!
I didn’t actually have a clutch alignment tool, so I used a short 3/8 extension and 16mm socket to get the clutch plate as best aligned as I could. Then I figured I wanted to battle the transmission outside of the car rather than under it. A cool hour later I finally had this!
Of course, trying to slot an engine and transmission into the car by your lonesome is a tall order, so my lovely wife came down to help out! Not sure what I’m doing in this picture though…
Lifting the lump into the sky!
We scratched the paint on the front piece that runs right up top and that was largely due to me not paying proper attention. We also scratched the paint on the intake cover. The intake cover can be resprayed and the paint up front we scratched is covered up by the hood, so I’m not too upset about it. Especially considering it was the first time I’ve ever put an engine and transmission in at the same time.
My fantastical wife was pretty excited about it too, so she pulled out her phone to grab a picture too!
With the engine in though, it was just the beginning. I needed to get the transmission mount on, but before I could bolt down the engine and transmission, the whole engine has to slide forward so I can get the driveshaft in. After some crawling underneath the beast, I finally got it all bolted in!
Next up, I started bolting on some of the smaller bits, such as the fuel pipe.
I also bolted up the oil pipe that puts oil pressure onto the cam chain tensioner.
I also sprayed some new metallic red on the intake cover and bolted that back on.
Then I started running the brake lines, starting with the front brakes.
Finally the radiator got some new black paint and the overflow tank got some new white paint and both got bolted in.
I’m still missing a lot of things before I can give the engine a start. Most importantly, I need to run the fuel line from the gas tank to the fuel pump and I need a starter. Plus, my wiring is still a complete mess, so that has to get sorted first. Finally, I’m still in need of some new radiator and heater hoses, a new oil filter, some good spark plugs and a decent timing light.
There’s still a ton of work to do, but getting the motor in was huge! It didn’t go as smoothly as I had hoped, but it went smoother than I was expecting. Hopefully, I can get the old girl purring right along soon!
Today’s Garage Soundtrack:
Electro swing mix