#
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 12   [ 231 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Bellet of the ball!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:07 pm 

I love this car. :mrgreen:

What are the final wheels going to be?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:35 pm 

Thanks John! It's not as perfect as I envisioned it in my head, but it's turning out pretty good!
john wrote:
What are the final wheels going to be?

This is a never ending game that I play mentally everyday. I have no clue!

Part of me really wants to rock some old school Topy steelies though!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:42 pm 

Tough to beat the old standby...

But I'd love to see someone try something out of the ordinary too... 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:04 pm 

I still can't make my mind up about a good set of wheels, but fortunately, I have enough work that needs to be done I can focus on not making a decision for a little while longer. So, instead of thinking about wheels, I finally got myself back down into the garage for some progress.

The epoxy had cured on my turn signal switch, so it was time to work on getting that installed.

All bolted in with the nice black cover over it.

Next I wanted to get all the glass in, so it was time to get the rear three quarter windows in.

What was holding me back on these was the rubber sealing. Originally, it used a seal glued to the glass itself, but since that was completely perished, I ended up removing that and using some seals like I used on the door. They fit really well and seal great.

Here's a picture of the seal.

Getting the window and seal in was a bit of a pain though, so I needed to take a break before I got to the other side. I figured I would get the front grille on instead. It may have to come back off in the future when I'm slotting the radiator and engine bits in, but for now, I'd rather have it on the car than in a box waiting for me to accidentally damage it. I masked it up and put some new paint on it.

While that was drying I decided to hang out with another one of my garage buddies.

All dried and bolted up!

Really helps make the front end look like a proper car again!

I also ordered a bit of rally nostalgia that I'm thinking of trying to slip into the interior somewhere.

We'll see if I can find room and make it look good though. Speaking of the interior, I got the main gauges in. I may need to pull them out again to get all the lights in the back figured out once I get the rest of the wiring squared away, but for now, they're off my floor and somewhere safe.

What a beautiful interior. Definitely one of the highlights of this car.

Running high on the motivation from getting the interior looking great, I decided to battle it out and get the second rear window in.

Continuing with my theme of trying to get the fragile bits out of boxes and onto the car, I installed the front turn signals as well.

Then, this last Saturday, instead of continuing work on the car, it was time to clean the garage. This was mainly for two reasons. The first being that I was beginning to spend more time looking for tools than actually using said tools, and the second will become clear in a bit. So, after a full day of cleaning on Saturday, I pushed the car out on Sunday for a wash.

Aside from the wheels and the ridiculous front ride height, it almost looks like a complete car!

I still need to clean up, mask off and paint the front headlight surrounds to complete the grille.

The interior looks fantastic out in the natural light!

The paint looks amazing in photographs, but in person that's not quite the case. It looks miles better than when I got the car, but there are lots of spots where my bodywork didn't make the panels as smooth as they need to be for such a reflective paint job as well as points where my paint work is just shoddy.

The reason the car was outside and the garage was thoroughly cleaned was to make room for a new addition to the garage! Ever since I've moved in, I've spent most of my time with two cars stuffed into this tiny garage. It was time to continue that!

It's a tight fit, but the Mazda Cosmo Sports fits right in!

That car will be getting my full attention once the Bellett gets a little closer to being completed.

Back to work on the Bellett next weekend! I'm excited because my father picked up a full seal kit for the engine, so I can't wait to get to work on that!

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:28 am 

Just read through you're whole thread.
Such a fab car and what an awesome project!! I envy you no end... :mrgreen:
I think it was actually an orange Bellett GTR that first got me properly interested in Jap classics.
Would love to own one myself some day, but finding a good one could prove to be an issue.
Good luck with the finishing touches on your Bellett... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:26 pm 

Thanks for the comments Anders! Finding one that needs a bit of work for a reasonable price can be a bit difficult, but finding an already restored and clean one is fairly simple over here. Then it's just a matter of getting it to your home country, which could be the most difficult part of the entire operation, haha.

There were two things that I really wanted to get accomplished this weekend: handle the center console and get the face on the car. I started with the center console. Here you can see what I was starting with.

The big problem was that radio and the massive hole below it. The radio was very poorly installed and was really only held in place by someone cutting the hole too small and then jamming the radio in. The massive hole below the radio served no purpose as near as I could tell. So, I had this idea of removing the radio and installing my Halda Speedpilot in that location.

Another problem that was bothering me was that the previous owner apparently had very bad aim with a hot cigarette lighter. The leather was just destroyed.

The first step was removing everything from the panel.

With everything removed, I slowly peeled off the original leather.

You can see here, to install the radio, someone just sliced the metal and bent it back a bit. So very sloppy.

Here you can see the mountain I have to climb to get rid of those two holes. It's always easier removing metal than adding it.

My solution came in the form of a piece of aluminum.

What I did was cut out those two holes by cutting along the very edge of the center console metal piece. This game me one massive hole. Then, I cut a piece of 2mm aluminum to the right size and shape and drilled holes in it so it would get sandwiched between the original metal piece and the center console. The downside is that there would be a slight step down as the new leather transitioned from the top piece to the sandwiched piece. Hopefully, the Speedpilot will hide that step down fairly well.

I needed to cut a hole in the aluminum piece for the Speedpilot, but first, I needed to check some dimensions and clean up the Speedpilot.

So I pulled the case off to let me take the outer trim ring off to get a new lick of paint on it. This gave me an amazing view of the mechanical masterpiece that the Halda Speedpilot is.

It's so beautiful in there and the mechanical wonder of it all is just breathtaking. I wonder if I was a watchmaker in a previous life (maybe a previous life where my hands were slightly more precise than a sledgehammer).

I cut out the hole and then, using the original leather as a template, cut out a new piece of leather for the front. I slathered some glue in place and then used any heavy thing I could get my hands on keep everything in place while the glue cured.

Once the glue dried it was time to put it all together!

It's not flawless, but it's miles better than what was there originally. I think the Speedpilot is slightly tilted, although I measured about 4 times to ensure it wouldn't be. Also, the leather is a bit lumpy around the clock and in the top corners, but other than that, I'm very pleased with how it turned out!

To install it into the car though, I needed to get the heather core and fan in first. This required complete dis-assembly because it was full of leaves.

I then of course got sidetracked when the Sagawa guy delivered my 23 dollar bumper!

My original rear bumper had quite a lot of rust spots on the top, destroying the chrome. So, I got on Yahoo Auctions and started searching through every auction listed and hit the jackpot when some guy mis-listed his bumper as a bumber. This meant that it didn't show up in any searches for a bumper. He also had a ridiculously low price of just 2,300 yen. I slapped a bid on and had no competition. Score!

And installed on the car!

Since I had the rear bumper on the car, it was time to accomplish my second goal: getting the face back together. I started with the front bumpers.

Getting it to that point was hugely time consuming though. The bumper brackets didn't align quite right, so I had to work some magic to make it so the bumpers sat at close to the same height. I also had a broken off bolt that was in one of the bumpers that had to be drilled and retapped. Then all the bolt holes on the body had to cleaned out with a tap cause they were full of gunk. They put up one hell of a fight for just 8 total bolts.

Then I had an idea. I was sitting nearly outside (because space is now incredibly limited in my garage) and I turned around saw my little Life sitting there. A few minutes and I managed to get a mockup of my idea.

To be fair, the idea was brewing ever since I got the Halda Speedpilot installed. The Bellett takes to rally mods like a fish takes to water so I was thinking if there was a better way to make it look a little more rally and a little less circuit racer. Fog lights were the answer of course! The little Honda Life wouldn't be going lightless though.

It may be a downgrade in size, but considering it's getting a set of Sev Marchals, I would call it more of a lateral move. Besides, the smaller lights match the car really well.

For mounting the big lights to the Bellett, I re-purposed some eye bolts I had laying around. I also mounted the fog light bar backwards to push the fog light brackets as far away from the body as possible.

Both lights mounted!

With the lights on, I was just two pieces away from completing the face. The headlight surrounds were all that stood between me and sleep. So, I masked them up, sprayed some paint and then put them under a heat lamp to cure the paint quicker.

Face complete!

Given that it was like 11 pm, getting quality pictures of the face was proving to be difficult. So, I ran down this morning before heading off to work and snapped a few more pictures.

The only part I'm concerned about is that the lights might stick out a bit too far. I swapped the mounting bar to give me as much room as possible, but it may not have been necessary. I think I'll swap it back this week and see if the lights still fit.

Overall though, I'm very pleased with the outcome!

Thanks everybody for reading!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:06 pm 

Looks positively fab with the face of your Bellett being all sorted!! 8)
This is just such a great project.
And those old Haldas are megacool.

For the record I actually think your Life looks better with the Marchals. Their size seems more appropriate to the tiny car. The swap of front spots would have improved your rear axle traction too... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm... once I'm ready to add another classic to my Hong Kong garage, I might ask you to keep an eye out for a tidy Bellett for me. :wink: I can't imagine that shipping a car from Japan to Hong Kong would be all that difficult.

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:15 am 

looking really good! Love what you did with the centre console, looks good! getting closer to being done!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:55 pm 

I was thinking the space between the fog lights looks a little bare, till I realized, "DUH! LICENSE PLATE!" yeah, I can be a little dumb sometimes. lookin' good, though!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:48 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys!

02Anders, I think the Marchals actually look better on the Life as well. Plus, the giant fogs fit the Bellett so beautifully! The Halda is just this amazingly engineered piece, I feel bad putting it in the car almost. I feel like the insides should be put on display for all to admire the craftsmanship.

Opelboy, I was actually thinking the same thing. That's one of the reason I thought the fogs sat out too far, but once I got the front plate holder on, it looked awesome!

Alrighty, I managed to get a little bit of work done last weekend, but I'm just now getting enough spare time to update this thread. I started off by getting to work on the heater box. After dismantling it all the way and cleaning off all the dirt, grime and leaves, it was time to hit the box itself with a lick of paint.

While I had my paint can out, I decided to hit the license plate holder with some paint too.

The license plate holder dried way faster due to those big flat surfaces being able to sit nicely in the sun. It really fills in the space between the fogs perfectly, almost like it was designed with the big fogs in mind.

The holder actually has two chrome pieces that run along the top and bottom, but I'm thinking of leaving them off for now because I like the non flash look of it. Also, since the fog light bar is still installed backwards, I had to bend the lower mounting tabs a bit and run longer bolts. Still, everything mounted up nice and solidly!

Now that my heater was dry, it was time to put it back together and pop it in the car! You can see a rough line around the Isuzu sticker where I didn't strip the paint well enough for fear of damaging the sticker. It looks not fantastic, but fortunately, it's hidden behind the center console.

Speaking of the center console...

I still need to recover the little plate that sits at the bottom of the bucket, but man does it look good to have all the interior mostly done!

I'll probably have to pull some of this back apart again as I figure out the wiring. The previous owner made a serious hash of it all and I need to trace wires down one by one to figure out what powers what. Also, you can still see blue on the side kick panels of the footwells, those will get covered up as well as soon as I refurbish/replace the pieces that go there.

The gas tank was taking up a massive amount of space, just sitting in the garage, so I pulled it out, sanded the paint back, sprayed some black on it and mounted it up! I put a line of silicone around the gap then bolted it down, so I shouldn't get any leaks through there either.

I had to take the rear lights out to get the tank in, but once the tank was in, I got to work putting everything back together!

Finally that hole on the side of the car is filled!

I ordered these little trim pieces a while ago off of Yahoo Auctions. They sit right on top of the door and seal off the gap between the door and window glass. They were new, and despite having to be cut to the right size, they were well worth the 50 bucks they cost!

While I was putting those on, the paint on another switch panel was drying. So, after it dried up, I bolted it in.

Then, a care package from my father arrived!

Woohoo! Thank you so much dad! I found a place here that was selling a head gasket for the G180SS engine and they wanted a staggering 450 bucks, just for the head gasket. Well, it turns out that the 72 Chevy Luv pickup essentially uses the same engine. So, my dad made a quick trip to Billy Jackson's, the local Auto Parts guy, and ordered up a full gasket set for less than 100 bucks!

So, the next logical step was to start engine teardown!

It didn't start well with the thermostat housing bolts shearing right off. These are going to have to be drilled out, tapped and helicoiled. I will say that I really like this picture because the dirty window makes my Honda Life look like some 40 year old poster, haha.

A quick pic of the other side of the engine so I remember where everything goes!

Rocker cover off.

Then I removed the whole camshaft housing (which is a separate piece from the actual cylinder head.

Cam housing with cam still installed.

The insides look really clean!

And that was as far as I made it! Hopefully I can get the head off of it this weekend, although that may be put on hold as I got a bit of work lined up for the Honda Life that I'd like to get done before it gets too cold out.

Thanks again everyone for the comments!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:42 am 

Arghh.... jealousy is such an awful thing!!
- but I just can't help myself... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:43 am 

boy, that engine's a little different, isn't it? I hadn't actually seen one of those before.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:08 pm 

Thanks for the comments guys! It is a wild engine for sure!

I spent all day Saturday working on my Honda Life, but Sunday was dumping rain like crazy, which meant it was a great time to stay in the garage and work on the Bellett. So, picking up where I left off, I wanted to get the cylinder head off. The head bolts were all massive 10mm hex bolts, so I pulled out my 10mm hex socket and got to cracking bolts loose. I made it through four bolts and on the 5th bolt, this happened.

Yup, sheared right in two.

So, I went to the hardware store, bought the strongest looking hex key I could find, bought a 6 point 1/2" drive 10 mm socket, sliced the hex key and got back to work!

Each bolt came loose like butter after that with no problems whatsoever.

With cylinder head off, it was time to take a look at what life inside the cylinders was like.

Carbon-y. And slightly not good.

All of the cylinder walls looked to be in good shape with honing marks still on them, which tells me this motor was apart at some point in time.

All the cylinders were great, except for one that is.

Ya, that looks like a bit of rust. I couldn't actually see it in the rather poorly lit corner I was doing work in, but the flash of the camera highlighted it bright as day. I gave it a bit of a wipe down with my finger to try and clean the surface and get an idea of how deep it really is.

It's not terrible, but it's not beautiful either. I could probably build the engine with it just like that and it would be fine for miles and miles, but it would eventually fail (and the stress of knowing it's in there would cause my heart to fail everytime I drove it). So, I think that the bottom end is going to need to come apart and the cylinders are all going to have to be honed out. Depending on how much it has to be honed, I may have to get some new pistons for it and since the bottom end is coming apart, I'll need to put some bearings in as well. Far more work and time and money than I was initially planning.

So, I took the oil pan off to take a look at the bottom end and see how it was. It all seemed rather clean and even the oil pan was nice and clean looking too.

With my new found information about the engine I was feeling a bit down and I was still tired from the work I did on the Life the day before, so I decided to call it a day and head upstairs to relax with our rabbit.

Yup, she's got this relaxing thing down!

Thanks again for all the comments guys!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:19 pm 

Hi Nakazato!

Just a post to say your work is awesome on all your cars! :D I'm a long-time lurker, and I figured my first post should be to congratulate you on all you've accompished with your rides! I love checking up on your threads - a 2010 Jalopnik link to your Minica thread is how I found this forum and I've been following your threads in earnest ever since. (Hoping to get a Kei for myself at some point, although probably something more modern and reliable as it would be harder to find parts here in Eastern Canada...)

Hoping the rust in that one cylinder isn't as bad as it looks...the cylinder looks ok, but the cylinder wall looks pretty rough in places...looking forward to your next updates! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:19 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Love this project and can't wait to see the pics of a motor going back in. Good luck and may the new year be great for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:01 am 

darkstrike wrote:
Hi Nakazato!

Just a post to say your work is awesome on all your cars! :D I'm a long-time lurker, and I figured my first post should be to congratulate you on all you've accompished with your rides! I love checking up on your threads - a 2010 Jalopnik link to your Minica thread is how I found this forum and I've been following your threads in earnest ever since. (Hoping to get a Kei for myself at some point, although probably something more modern and reliable as it would be harder to find parts here in Eastern Canada...)

Hoping the rust in that one cylinder isn't as bad as it looks...the cylinder looks ok, but the cylinder wall looks pretty rough in places...looking forward to your next updates! :)

Thanks for compliments! Being in Canada, you guys only have a 15 year import rule, which opens up a lot of really cool alternatives for kei cars! Personally, I'd totally go for a Honda Beat. I want one so bad, haha.

UtahSleeper wrote:
Love this project and can't wait to see the pics of a motor going back in. Good luck and may the new year be great for you.

You and me both, although it'll probably be a while!

I hope everyone had a great set of holidays! I flew home for the Christmas break, which is why there has been zero progress for the better part of a month. Here's some of the toys I was playing with while back home on vacation:

But like all good things, vacations come to an end. So, we flew back to Japan to get back into normal life. But, this time, we played it smart and gave ourselves six extra days of vacation after we got back. A sort of vacation from our vacation. That meant that I could get some work done in the garage though! So, I decided to tackle the engine. First up was getting the front cover off.

Weirdly, one of the bolts for the water pump is hidden behind the front cover. But, they smartly allotted just enough space to loosen the bolt and the part of the pump held down by that bit is slotted so it can slide out. I didn't realize this until after I had the front cover off though, haha.

So, next I pulled the water pump off.

This was followed by the oil pump and pickup.

And the oil filter housing and fuel pump.

Then it was time to pop the pistons out. I started with cylinder one, popped the con rod cap off and slid the piston out. To my shock, the top piston ring came out in two pieces!

Well, thank god I decided to take the pistons out! That could have been terrible.

The bearings don't look awful, but I think a new set will be going back in.

I then set about removing the remaining pistons. To my shock, the top piston ring on the number four piston came out in two pieces too! So, rust in cylinder three and broken piston rings in cylinders one and two. I think it's safe to say that the right decision was to take this motor apart, haha.

Ouch.

All the bearings are in pretty decent shape with no big scratches or signs of metal on metal wear.

With the pistons out, the crank was the next target.

You can see the bearings here are not terrible but not beautiful either.

Cylinder three from the bottom side.

The crank itself.

It's in pretty good condition and doesn't appear to need any work done to it.

The pushrod camshaft replacement shaft thingy out. I have no idea what it's actually called. It's the shaft that fills the place where the camshaft would be on the pushrod version of this engine and it also drives the fuel pump and oil pump.

Well, now I need something to hone the cylinders with and a whole set of bearings and rings for the engine. Since I don't have any of that, the engine's on pause for a short bit. So, instead I decided to pop my emblems in! I only had one Bellett emblem, but I picked up a second on Yahoo Auctions for 400 yen!

Looking good!

I was pretty tired there though, so I decided to call it a day.

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers
David

(Here's a little something I thought might be fun to do. Like everyone else, I have to have some music rocking in the background while I get my wrench on. Well, while I was ripping the engine apart, these are the tunes I had going in the background. Maybe this will help someone find some new music for their garage time!)

Today's Garage Soundtrack:
Prototype Raptor - Remixes
Link: http://prototyperaptor.bandcamp.com/album/remixes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:57 am 

Cool music David, I'll have to add some of those to my playlist!

Nice to see the Bellett get her name back on both sides! :D You're lucky you pulled the engine apart...if you'd left those broken rings in, it's hard to say what other mess you'd be cleaning up later 0_o.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:23 pm 

While this weekend was full of things not involved with working on the car, I did manage to carve away a few hours for the old Bellett. With the engine waiting on parts, the number of things that I can do to the car is quickly dwindling, but like all projects, there is always something to do!

I started by remaking the side kick panel covers. These covers sit in front of the door on the side and cover up the steel and holes and what not. They were originally made of fiberboard and painted black, but the years had taken their toll. So, I pulled out some coroplast and some leather to make new panels!

After a bit of work, I had them cut, covered and installed!

You can see that I also installed the parcel tray as well in this picture. I still need to make a piece that covers the firewall at the back, but other than that, it's looking pretty complete!

I also made a new piece that sits in the bottom of the center console.

It's nice to have it all covered and looking appropriate now!

In the middle of all this though, a package arrived!

Yup, original Bellett mirrors! Picked up used on Yahoo Auctions for 5,000 yen. The deal of the century!

I also measured out and installed the 1800GT badges.

For some reason, there's an extra hole on this side that I didn't put there. That's something I should have checked before paint and filled. Oops.

That was as much as I managed to accomplish. There's still a collection of things to knock out that don't involve the engine, but motivation for doing those is awfully low while the engine is in pieces. I really need to get the heart back in to give me the boost in motivation to button this thing up!

Thanks for reading guys!

Cheers,
David

Today's Garage Soundtrack:
Ben Prunty - Chromatic T-Rex
Link: http://benprunty.bandcamp.com/album/chromatic-t-rex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:37 am 

Great with another update David! :D
She sure is looking good. Keep at it - you're almost there...
Those original wing mirrors were a pretty awesome find.
But what do you plan to do with that extra hole in the rear wing?

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:15 am 

Looking good David!

It's amazing what one can do with a little time and not even that much money - those kick panel covers and that piece for the center console look factory! How much did the leather run you...?

That hole sure is a mystery....I have no idea what it could've been for, nothing would've been mounted there but the badge. I don't recall seeing it on any of the old pictures of the car before you stripped it down...are you going to leave it for now, or re-sand down and paint that spot after you've filled it in?

Any finalized thoughts on what wheels you're going to go for? With those awesome. big rally-style fogs, I was thinking the other day that some rally-style mudflaps would look pretty nifty! :P

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Vanhojen_ralliautojen_n%C3%A4yt%C3%B6sajo_Suomen_rallissa_2010_-_4.jpg

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 12   [ 231 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next