Holy back from the dead batman! My job has been sending me on so many business trips, I can't keep 'em straight anymore. I'm going to Burma twice within the next month, so prep for that has been through the roof! I have managed to get down and steal a few days to work on the engine though.
Darkstrike, I don't think the rust pit will cause too much of a problem, although worst case scenario is it chews through the rings and I lose compression completely on that cylinder. Hopefully, by the time that happens I'll have the car back in the states and I can do a full on proper rebuild, making sure that everything is measured out to perfection with oversized pistons. As far as being bored out a little too far, I think the worst that will happen is it will just burn a bit of oil, like as if the motor already had 100,000 miles on it or something.
Mrfibbles, thanks for the heads up on the Gemini pistons! In the states, the Chevy Luv came with the same engine only lower comp pistons, so I might hunt around and see if I can find some "performance" high comp Luv pistons. Worst case scenario, I'll just rebuild it with the Chevy Luv pistons, that engine is only about 10 to 15 hp down on the Bellett engine anyways.
Alright, picking up from where i left off, the gears came back off so this plate could go on. I hit it with a lick of paint first though.
While the paint was drying, I pulled out my brand new water pump and got it ready.
I printed out an old picture to help me remember where everything went and in what orientation. May not seem like much, but this one picture helped immensely!
Everything back in place!
Next up, I wanted to get the broken off thermostat housing bolts out of the head. The first one came out pretty easy using some heat and a pair of vice grips.
The second one required a drill and a tap, but it all ended up alright! Next up, I was cleaning the head so I could get it ready to pop back on! (Note: I did not use that steel wire brush on the ground to clean the head. That would have not been pretty, haha.)
Before the head can go back on though, the front cover plate has to go on.
Next up was cleaning the cam carrier and popping in a new rubber seal.
Then I installed the cam carrier to the head on the bench.
But, I got the order wrong again, haha. The head bolts can't be fit through the head with the cam carrier in place. So, it had to come off again once I had the head sitting on the block. But, before I dropped the head on, I ran a tap through all the head bolt holes. This helps clean out all the gunk and grease that's down there, ensuring that all the head bolts torque to the same spec.
You can see some of the gunk the tap pulled out here.
New head gasket in place.
Cylinder head fully installed with cam carrier back in place!
While I had easy access to everything, I went ahead and decided to adjust the valve clearances. The intake was set to 0.1 mm and the exhaust to 0.15 mm.
And that was all the hard scary bits, now came the fun part of bolting on the smaller pieces to the engine. First up was the fuel pump.
Then the distributor came apart to get cleaned...
... and re-installed.
The two covers went back on the front of the engine with new gaskets. It's starting to look like a motor again!
Next was a new rear main seal.
Then the oil pan went on. I didn't repaint it because I plan on hitting it with POR-15 in the future (at the same time that I POR-15 the entire underside of the car).
The valve cover plate thing went on next.
Then the oil pressure sensor and transmission mounts.
Next up was the oil filter mount, which required a new gasket to be hand cut. Not simple, but turned out alright.
And installed! It's amazing how quickly the side of the engine gets cluttered up.
Next, the exhaust and intake manifold went on along with the thermostat housing.
Then I installed the motor mounts (the left side one doubles as the alternator mount), the alternator and the water pump pulley.
Finally, I gave the fan a bit of a sanding and hit it with some silver paint!
It's just about ready to drop in! I just need to clean the transmission and mount up and borrow an engine lift!
More to come next weekend hopefully!
Today's Garage Soundtrack:
Cake - Fashion Nugget
(this link might not work, it's "blocked in my country" apparently)