#
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:43 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Putting on a show in upper East TN/ Western NC
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:41 pm 

www.rollintotheroan.com

It's still early and I haven't gotten all the things planned out yet but it will happen and in the coming months. I put on a small show last year for a fund raiser. It went okay but I want to do better this year so we will be having this one up in the mountains on our place.

Wanna camp? Bring your stuff. Do it on our place or do it at the local state park which is one of the most visited parks in TN.

Want cool mountain roads? Plenty of them around and I hope to have a whole line of Nostalgic cars on one of them.

Got the local fire dept coming up to cook a big ole HOG on the fire! They do this several times per year for a fundraiser and will do it at our place for this show to help make money.

Gonna rent a stage from the local town for music. What kind? Not sure yet but tunes of some kind. Possibly bluegrass since this territory is where it all began for the country music singers way back in the old days.

Dry county so BYOB just don't get out of hand since there will be children there too.

If you need to do some work on the car while it's there I have a full service shop with a lift. A certified mechanic which is a friend of mine will probably come that day to help out if anyone needs him.

Wanna run a 1/4 mile? I will have this on one of the days clost to when Bristol is having their street fights so several of us can go down and watch or run. Might even have cone races in the parking lot if we are lucky.

Been in contact with a mobile dyno and depending on how much money they want I hope to have them there for a full day of dyno action.

Right now it looks like late May. As things shape up I will update. A local car club throws one of these mountain shows each year and gets over 500 vehicles. I don't expect anything like that since it's the first year but with much help I hope to get many people.

Here's a few websites:
This is our farm website. Actual address of the shop is 1030 Green Creek road in Bakersville, NC 28705. Only 6 miles from the TN line.
www.roanvalleytrees.com

Our property joins this mountain. Beautiful views and if I do this in June rhododendron may be in full bloom. That's when we get our visitors up there. The TN/NC state line is on top of the Roan.
http://www.bakersville.com/roan.html

Here's a link to the drag's schedule. Very fun event and hundreds of cars running. Times are from 19-10 secs and cars of all sorts.
http://www.bristoldragway.com/events/entire_season/

Here's the local state park. It's just a jump over the mountain on the TN side. Beautiful place.
http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/parks/RoanMtn/

Here's a listing for motels in the city I live in here in TN. Plan on meeting early and driving a convoy over the hills and through the woods to the farm. Did I say we need Supras?
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=f...ed=0CCcQtQMwAA

Here's a couple shots from where we will have the car show. Right next to 3 large fish ponds. It will not be this cold when we have the show I promise.

Posted here because I love old foreign cars! This site is growing at an amazing rate and I know there are some members close to me too. I learned how hard it is to get a show off and running last year so this time I am asking for help from members of some of the forums I belong to. If I get one from here it is better than none. So, think about it. It will be fun.

John Ayers

Last edited by Pooods on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:45 pm 

Here's a picture from the local cruise in in Elizabethton, TN. Hope to have a long line of classics driving downtown here on that same Saturday night to park together. We can get as many as 350 cars there on good nights.

John Ayers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:06 am 

We own a lot of land in Mountain City. Been in the family since the early 1800s. Know about Roan Valley and Shouns and all that. Still have a bit of family there now. I haven't been up there since 1984 and have been wanting to get back a lot lately. If you do this in June, then I have a shot at making this. If not, good luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:18 am 

sounds fun, what kind of show are you planning? japanese/ oldschool/ whetever?
i could round up a few old school VW/BMW/Mercs maybe even more Euros

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:28 am 

qdseeker wrote:
We own a lot of land in Mountain City. Been in the family since the early 1800s. Know about Roan Valley and Shouns and all that. Still have a bit of family there now. I haven't been up there since 1984 and have been wanting to get back a lot lately. If you do this in June, then I have a shot at making this. If not, good luck to you.

I may very well be in early June. This coming week I am going to talk with the cookers to verify a date. I will check with the mobile dyno people and see if they are even available or if I can afford them. Plus, I don't want to have it on the holiday weekend. Too much going on at that time anyway.

John Ayers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:32 am 

gambit4000s wrote:
sounds fun, what kind of show are you planning? japanese/ oldschool/ whetever?
i could round up a few old school VW/BMW/Mercs maybe even more Euros

This will a be come all show. But I hope to have a wide variety of vehicles there. That's what I hope will set this event apart from the others. Most shows in this area are American iron. I love all types of vehicles and am pleading with you to keep up with this thread so you can round them up. I've got a friend here in TN that has a group of friends with Porsche, BMW and Vettes and they hopefully will be there. They travel to road courses together and race during the summer. He says he will be there with some of those guys.

John Ayers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:51 pm 

TTT for some more info. in the first post.

John Ayers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:51 am 

TTT

Going to have a section just to park classic foreign cars in. Got to be some of you close to me. Give me a show of hands.

John Ayers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:06 am 

4 weeks to go!! I need a foreign car section. Right now it's all Supras and nothing else. Come on guys, it will be a good time.

My email: pooods@hotmail.com

John Ayers

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]