#
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:12 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: A.M.E.C. Economy Run III - Fonda, NY 8-23-09
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:15 am 

Hello JNC enthusiasts, the Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club would like to invite you to participate in Economy Run III.

For those of you who haven't modified your cars for speed, here is an event that will reward those of us who've restored our Japanese economy cars and left them stock. Here's an event that will showcase the main design intent of our cars in the first place.....economy! My B210 logged 61.5 mpg last October and I am aiming for 70 this summer with additional aero and mechanical mods. C'mon out and join us this August 23rd.

What: Fuel mileage contest through the southern Adirondacks of NY. The route will be on really scenic and challenging roads [mild grades] and will run approx. 94 miles in distance. Your “economic” driving ability will be tested. Cars will be filled with fuel by an AMEC official and be sent off at one minute intervals. There will be a time limit to complete the run. Any street legal vehicle is allowed to participate, [including motorcycles]. This event will run rain or shine.

Where: The starting spot will be at the [ethanol free] Fairway Oil gas station on Route 5 in Fonda, NY. Take NY Thruway Exit 28. After the toll booth, turn left onto Riverside Drive. Then turn right onto South Bridge Street and go over the bridge. On the other side of the bridge is a traffic light. You can see Fairway Oil and Gas on your left. Turn left onto Route 5 and enter the station.

When: Sunday, August 23rd, 2009. Arrival time will be 8:00-8:30am, first car off at 9:00am. They have gas and diesel and have a large enough parking lot that we won’t be in the way.

Cost: $10 per vehicle plus $8 per car for lunch at the awards picnic by the lake. [see "Awards" below]

Awards include:

1. Best overall mpg for gas cars [1st, 2nd, and 3rd places]

2. Best overall mpg for diesel and hybrid cars [1st, 2nd, and 3rd places]

3. Best Historic car ['79 and earlier - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places].

Note: If we get more than one motorcycle we will add a class for them.

Finish: will be at the Citgo located at 746 NY-30, in Northville. They are less than a mile from Northampton Beach Campground and their lot is plenty big. It will be on your right as you're heading on Route 30 south in Northville.

Awards and Lunch: This event will conclude about noon, and we will be having our A.M.E.C. summer picnic immediately following the event. All Economy run participants are invited to join us for awards and a picnic lunch at Northampton Beach Campground located on Housmann Street, in Mayfield, [it's actually closer to Northville] NY. Their website is HERE. Scroll to the bottom of the page to find the map links. The picnic pavilion and beach are right on the shore of beautiful Sacandaga lake. Hamburgers, hot dogs, and soda will be served. This park is only about a mile from the Citgo station where the event concluded.

To register for this event: Please contact Mike Kamm at (518) 674-0520 or via email: mikek [at ]icerace [ dot] com. Or just simply reply to this thread with your name, year/model car. The vehicle count will be limited so please sign up before this event is full.

Registered driver's list as of 7-1-09

1. Mike Kamm - 1977 Datsun B210 - Averill Park, NY
2. Tom Moeller - 1994 Mazda Miata - Saratoga, NY
3. Dave Burnham - 1991 Eco Diesel Jetta - Delanson, NY
4. Ben Jones - 1991 Honda CRX - Hanover, NH
5. Dick Vedder - 2000 Ford ZX2 S/R - Johnstown, NY
6. Martin Deschenes - 2000 VW Jetta TDI - Quebec City, QC
7. Ron Kienhuis - 1972 Citroën SM - Long Island, NY
8. Vlad Saakyan - 2003 Suzuki Svs650 - 518 forums
9. Bill Clark - 1957 Metropolitan Hartop - Endicott, NY
10. Bruce Turk- 1958 Saab 93B - Walden, NY
11. Ernie Yue - 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc
12. Dan & Richard Dobbins - 1964 Studebaker GT Hawk - Long Island, NY
13. Matt Herring - 2009 Toyota Prius - Boston, MA
14. Robert Smalls - 2000 Honda Insight - Buffalo, NY
15. Peter Ramotowski - 2000 VW Golf TDI - Albany, NY

There is a link to last year's event thread located HERE.

Last edited by blownb310 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:32 am 

Yesterday we had a distinguished guest sign up. Ben Jones of Ecomodder will be bringing his highly modified [for fuel mileage] 1991 Honda CRX from Hanover, NH. Ben said he will have some "wicked aeromods" on his CRX for this event. Keep in mind that he's regularly logging over 61 mpg before the planned areo mods. So it will be really exciting to see what Ben's CRX can do at our event. He's got a great website showcasing his CRX mods here: http://www.crxmpg.com/. He swapped in a D15Z1 engine from a Civic VX, which has both vtec-e and lean burn. This, combined with a tall geared HX transaxle, allows his CRX to make some fantastic mpg numbers.

I'll be shooting for 70 mpg at this event with my Datsun B210. Going all out, with a full belly pan, 155/80R13 tires, all synthetic lubricants, lowered suspension, final drive changed from 3.70's to 3.54's, even Moon disc wheel covers for less drag. So we're both going in with similar mpg numbers [low 60's] before our aero mods. Should be interesting.

P.S. I sourced these rare NGK plugs on ebay also. They are the factory issue Datsun 210 "MPG" model spark plugs for special 1979 fuel economy models. Hey, what the heck right? :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm 
Administrator

Sounds like a fun event.

Also, those plugs are wild! :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:10 pm 

Thanks Ben,

I know that many here are only interested in performance [I am too] but I also enjoy the little economy cars for what they were originally designer for. Let's face it, most of us spend out energies in trying to make fast cars out of cars that didn't start out fast at all. I've been doing that for 25 years.

But in this case I've gone in the ultimate economy direction with my B210 and am really enjoying the technical side of the build as well as the challenge.

I'm hoping I'm not alone.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:47 am 

This event is popular and is starting to fill up. I've updated the driver's roster on the the first post.

I's sure like to see some Japanese classics to come and join my B210 in this fun tour through the mountains. There are so many good cars for this, the early Corollas, Datsun 1200's, Civics, etc.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:58 pm 

Hope you hit the 70's!! Post pics of the event and share the joy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:43 pm 

Capital15 wrote:
Hope you hit the 70's!! Post pics of the event and share the joy!
I'll be giving it my best try for sure.

I am preparing my B210 for next weekend's Economy Run event. I took a look at my front brakes this afternoon. I raised the car up, made a chalk mark on the tires, and gave the wheels a "spin test" [by hand] and counted only 3 revolutions on each front wheel. So I decided to take them apart and clean them.

I lubed the slides and found an NOS hardware kit in my basement. I took advantage of the kit's extra parts to add a second spring between the pads to help them release more completely. Normally there is only a single spring on only one of the pins. I pumped up the brake pedal and gave it another spin test afterwards. This time the wheels spun 6 2/3rds revolutions afterwards. Must have helped reduce drag a little. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:44 pm 

Yesterday I mounted the "economy" wheel/tire package [155/80R13's @ 50 psi] today. Next, I installed my home made chin spoiler [cut from a scrap Ford Contour front bumper cover] and blended in the edges with tape. Afterwards I put it up on blocks [yes I know cement blocks aren't safe - don't try this at home] to gain access to the entire undercarriage for belley pan fabricating/fitting. I then began to fabricate the forward belly pan section.

This is now fitted under the car and I completed the main portion of the belly pan today. Lot's of time and energy went into it, but the result is quite nice. The header collector hangs down lower than anything else under the car. I knew this going in, so I had to decide whether to work around it and allow the exhaust system to be exposed, or lower the entire belly pan and close it in completely. I measured the height of the bottom of the chin spoiler to the floor and it was the same as the height of the header. So I decided to enclose the exhaust system in and have a perfectly flat belly pan front to back.

I used aluminum tubing to space the pan to clear the header and pipe. I did not drill any holes in the car at all. I pressed plastic anchor bushings into pre-existing holes in the bottom of the frame rails. I used thin aluminum sheets [cut from food catering trays] as a heat sheild under the exhaust system. Not pretty but it should work fine and you won't be able to see it when this the side skirts are installed.

Tomorrow I will fabricate the side skirts to close it all up. The rear of the pan slipped nicely under the rear valance panel. Again, there were no holes drilled in the car at all for this project. That's why it took a bit more time to do. I had to get creative to preserve the integrity of the car. I will try to get some finished pics tomorrow, but a black pan will be very hard to photograph. The bottom of the car is now completely smooth and flat for lower aerodynamic drag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:49 pm 

Here's the finalized driver's list by class:

Gas class

1. Mike Kamm - 1977 Datsun B210 - Averill Park, NY
2. Tom Moeller - 1994 Mazda Miata - Saratoga, NY
3. Ben Jones - 1991 Honda CRX - Hanover, NH
4. Richard Vedder - 2000 Ford ZX2 S/R - Johnstown, NY
5. Eric Hoefer - 2008 Honda Fit - Guilderland, NY
6. Ryan Kramer - 1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged - Albany NY
7. Chang Ho Kim - 89 Honda CRX - Maynard, MA
8. Darin Cosgrove - 1998 Pontiac Firefly - Ontario, Canada
9. Jeff Morgan - 1992 240sx - Rotterdam, NY
10. Tom Compoli - 1981 VW Rabbit - Schenectady, NY

Diesel and Hybrids

1. Dave Burnham -1991 Eco Diesel Jetta - Delanson, NY
2. Martin Deschenes - 2000 VW Jetta TDI - Quebec City, QC
3. Peter Ramotowski - 2000 VW Golf TDI - Albany, NY
4. Dan Mandle - 2004 Golf TDI [Vegetable Oil] - Potsdam, NY
5. Matt Herring - 2009 Toyota Prius - Boston, MA
6. Robert Smalls - 2000 Honda Insight - Buffalo, NY
7. Hobbit - 2004 Toyota Prius - Boston, MA

Historic class

1. Bill Clark - 1957 Metropolitan Hartop - Endicott, NY
2. Ron Kienhuis - 1972 Citroën SM - Long Island, NY
3. Bruce Turk- 1958 Saab 93B - Walden, NY
4. Dan & Richard Dobbins - 1964 Studebaker GT Hawk - Long Island, NY
5. Jonathan Bartlett - 1969 Saab Sonett V-4 - Sterling, MA
6. Carl Germain - 1950 Studebaker Champion Business Coupe

Motorcycles/Scooters

1. Vlad Saakyan - 2003 Suzuki Svs650 - Schenectady, NY
2. Ernie Yue - 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250cc
3. Sachs 50cc Madass scooter

Note: I am purposely not running in the Historic class where the B210 belongs. I have decided I want to compete at the highest level and take on the new high tech hybrids and direct injected diesels too. Can an old pushrod equipped and carbureted antique take on the big dogs with electric motors, fuel injection, and lean burn systems? We'll soon find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:46 am 

very cool belly pan...

I like this idea a lot.
too bad it's in new york.

:tu:

http://www.myspace.com/abandonaugust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:42 pm 

Thanks. I did some more work today and finished the side panels and kick ups behind the wheels.

After this pic was taken I continued to work on the car. I realized that there is a need for providing an exit for the radiator and exhaust heat. Remember, by closing off the bottom of the car, I've also closed off the normal escape point of the underhood cooling air [between the frame rails along both sides of the engine]. This cooling air from the radiator must be able to flow through or it will back up and the engine will overheat], not to mention the adding unwanted aero drag. So I cut some large slots into the rear of the belly pan to [hopefully] solve this issue. I'm sure the floor temp of the car will be raised as well. Between that, and having the windows up tight [for lower aero drag] it will be a good thing I am bringing a cooler with cold towels in it to wear as my "air conditioning".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:51 pm 

Economy Run III was a huge success, and new records were set in all classes. Last year's event average for all vehicles was 49.56 mpg. I thought that was pretty good. This year's average? How about 64.12 mpg!

For those wondering what my '77 Datsun B210 was able to muster after the flurry of activity in my garage all month, how about a solid 77.04 mpg! Not to shabby for a carbureted car. In fact it almost doubled the mpg for any other carbureted car in attendance. There's more left in it too. I'm not done yet. ;)

Here are the official results:

Gas class

1. Chang Ho Kim - 1989 Honda CRX HF - Maynard, MA 118.1 mpg
2. Darin Cosgrove - 1998 Pontiac Firefly - Ontario, Canada 106.12 mpg
3. Ben Jones - 1991 Honda CRX - Hanover, NH 82.54 mpg
4. Mike Kamm - 1977 Datsun B210 - Averill Park, NY 77.04 mpg
5. Will Meredith - 1998 Honda Civic EX - Binghamton NY 64.62 mpg
6. Richard Vedder - 2000 Ford ZX2 S/R - Johnstown, NY 59.09 mpg
7. Eric Hoefer - 2008 Honda Fit - Guilderland, NY 47.27 mpg
8. Robert Smalls - 1996 AWD Subaru Legacy - Buffalo, NY 46.64 mpg

Diesels and Hybrids

1. Martin Deschenes - 2000 VW Jetta TDI - Quebec City, QC 90.43 mpg
2. Matt Herring - 2009 Toyota Prius - Boston, MA 75.91 mpg
3. Hobbit - 2004 Toyota Prius - Boston, MA 74.28 mpg
4. Dan Mandle - 2004 Golf TDI [Vegetable Oil] - Potsdam, NY 63.41mpg
5. Dave Burnham - 1991 Jetta Diesel - Delanson, NY 61.18 mpg

Historic class

1. Bill Clark - 1957 Metropolitan Hartop - Endicott, NY 44.64 mpg
2. Jonathan Bartlett - 1969 Saab Sonett V-4 - Sterling, MA 44.26mpg
3. Jonathan Schaller - 1968 Saab 96 - Hamilton, NY 37.96 mpg
4. Ron Kienhuis - 1972 Citroën SM - Long Island, NY 32.20 mpg
5. Carl Germain - 1950 Studebaker Champion Business Coupe 27.37mpg

Motorcycles/Scooters

1. Vlad Saakyan - 2003 Suzuki Svs650 - Niskayuna, NY 62.28 mpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:52 pm 
Administrator

77 mpg! How much do you estimate w/o the aero mods?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:56 am 

ben wrote:
77 mpg! How much do you estimate w/o the aero mods?
Hello Ben,

It's impossible to say for sure because I didn't test everything separately, but I'd have to estimate that the aero mods were probably worth between 5 to 8 mpg. They would have helped more if the speeds were higher. But most of our speeds were between 40 and 45 mph.

Mike

P.S. I hope that someday more people on these forums will have an interest in this type of competition. After all, economy is what most of our cars were designed for in the first place. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:50 am 
Administrator

Even taking the most conservative guess that's still pretty amazing! I wonder what a Honda N600 would do.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:04 am 

dude, this is awesome, I've been doing little bits to try and increase my mileage, (with my L24E btw) and have managed a best of 39 mpg, on original UNPULLED injectors, in 100+ degree heat! I wish there was something like this in texas. it's unpopular cause' of our heat probly....

did you use premium gas for the run? what's the rules on that?

a+ on the results! that's crazy! and your aero mods look cool enough to rock all the time imo!

current project: 82' s11 200sx (ka24e swap)
current daily: 89' integra RS 5-door

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:19 pm 

82maxtx wrote:
dude, this is awesome, I've been doing little bits to try and increase my mileage, (with my L24E btw) and have managed a best of 39 mpg, on original UNPULLED injectors, in 100+ degree heat!
Hey thanks for the kudos 82maxtx. I remember doing pre-delivery inspections and working on the 810 Maximas when they came out in '84. They were solid cars. Wow 39 mpg is awesome for those! The 100 degree heat is actually good for fuel mileage. The hotter it is out the better. I run a 195 theormostsat in my B210 on purpose for better fuel atomization and efficiency. Most people run a cold air intake, not me! I modified my air cleaner snorkel behind the radiator to draw hot air.
82maxtx wrote:
I wish there was something like this in texas. it's unpopular cause' of our heat probably....
Fuel Economy events are rare in our country. Last year's $4 a gallon prices spurred our club to bring the event back. The last time A.M.E.C. held an economy run was in 1954! It is not difficult at all to put together an economy run event. Just pick out a good course with very few traffic lights and steep hills, and decide what fuel station[s] you will start and end from. Piece of cake. And people love these events. I filled up the 25 spots six weeks before the event date and then had a waiting list!
82maxtx wrote:
Did you use premium gas for the run? what's the rules on that?
Any fuel is acceptable at our events. I used a mixture of 93 octane premium and 100 octane aviation fuel. Why the Av-gas? I have a high compression cylinder head on the A14, the aforementioned hot thermostat, the timing is advanced 6 degrees, and the hot air intake I mentioned. All of this leads to detonation on even premium fuel. A couple gallons of Av-gas fixes all of that. Racing gas would be just as good, but it costs more and the lead would degrade my wide band oxygen sensor.

Mike

Post subject: Summary of changes for 2009
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:34 pm 

Last year I logged 61.5 mpg at this event. Here is a list of the further changes I've made for this year's event:

Mechanical mods:

Switched to energy saving 0W-20 engine oil [designed for hybrid cars], run 1 quart low on purpose.
Narrower 155/80R13 tires @ 60 psi.
Ignition timing advanced 6 degrees
Rejetted carburetor for the hot 85 deg. temps to run at 15.0 to 15.5 to 1 A/F ratio
Disconnected the alternator and ran off of a deep cycle marine battery to decrease load on the engine.
Added springs between my front brake pads to reduce drag.
Switched to synthetic gear oil for transmission and differential.
Switched from the standard 3.70 differential gearing to taller 3.54's.
Swapped out the heavy three groove crank hub for a lighter factory single groove unit.

Aerodynamic mods:

Full belly pan fabricated to smooth airflow under the car made from choroplast [think plastic cardboard].
Rear wheel skirts
Moon disc wheel covers
Home made plastic lower front chin spoiler [cut from an junk Ford Contour front bumper cover].
Plexi glass covers for the recessed headlamps and to block off 3/4 of the front grill.
Removed wipers and side view mirrors.

Result: 77.04 mpg. A new record!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:05 am 

118 MPG!!!!! :shock: That's just bananas!!!! Congrats on a successful event...and on your 77 MPG!!! :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:17 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Me not mechanically skilled.
Me not know engineering.
Me not so good with math.

But me find this interesting!
:lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next