#
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Targa High Country, Australia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:29 pm 

Targa Tasmania is a renowned tarmac rally event that happens along some sensational roads in (funnily enough) Tasmania. This year, the organisers have included the High Country in Victoria in a brand new event- Targa High Country.

I went up on Saturday for a look. Friday was a street stage through the country town of Mansfield, where they closed it off for the event. After that, all cars were parked in the main street so anyone could have a wander, chat to the driver and take a pic or twenty.

Saturday was gorgeous weather (we have had some seriously crappy weather the past 3 weeks that has cancelled many an event). I went to one of the spectator areas that saw the entrants drive past twice- once each way.

As you can imagine, EVO's, Porsche's and Subie's were plentiful. But, we have a large contingent of classics that also get out and give it a red hot go.....

Andy's mustang has a very sexy note, so hearing it at full noise across the top of the mountains was awesome.....

THis Andrew ended up 4th in his class

In Australian motorsport, Jim Richards is a legend. He has won more titles in various categories than most would dream about, not to mention winner of Targa Tasmania 8 times....
He also drove the GT-R in our Nationals championship (Australian Touring Car Champtionship) to victory multiple times
He's currently driving in a classic touring car series in a Falcon Sprint and is building an AMC Javelin to run next year- not bad for a bloke pushing 60. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:39 pm 

This Alfa was probably the 4th or 5th car through the stage (slower cars left first, fastest/leading cars leave last). Just out of photos to the left is a sharp-ish right hander that seemed to get the better of him. We hear the screech of tyres, the blokes camped right on the fence cheer, and oops..

He picked the best spot to crash (if there is one), right in front of the spectator area...
He could blame this- it was slithering back and forth across the track for a bit....

Owen and wife Chris are good friends of mine who were meant to compete in their Citroen Xsara. Owen broke it, and parts hadn't made it in from o/seas in time, so they took Chris' turbo MX-5. She also has a N/A one nicknamed zoomie- this one is called evil zoomie :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:58 pm 

The other way

Jason Lea is normally competing at Historic Sandown (see another thread under events) in either his Sports 2000 or his 280Z. But, he was down as DEMO class thisyear, maybe showing them what can be done when an FJ is planted in to a 120y. He had it screaming and both times past me was full noise overtaking another car.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:04 pm 

i think i forgot this earlier

Of the 2 lambo's competing, Kevin Weeks was the only one shooting flames like this-

So, Jason white (in the white Lambo) was deemed the winner- he used to compete in a GT-R before his budget grew. 2nd was Kevin Weeks (black lambo above) followed by Jim Richards in his Porsche 3rd. But, a timing error saw the two lambo's swap spots and Weeks declared the winner.

Classic Outright went to a Perana

The RX-7 #607 was first JNC in 10th, with the Rx-3 in 11th.

There were over 220 entries in all categories, so whilst the showroom class was full of Evo's, there were still plenty of other cars to look at.

Targa 2011 kicks off in Tasmania with Targa Wrest point in January...... think I will have to have a work trip around then........ :wink:

Post subject: Targa High Country
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:49 am 

Excellent shots Kaz!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:21 am 

Thanks DJ! had ficusin issues- i started putting sunscreen on, then the cars came through so with sunscreen all over my hands (and i had only done one arm) i then put it all over the camera :oops:
result = slimy dial and buttons and burnt left arm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:35 pm 
Administrator

That orangey RX-3 is mean!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:08 am 

There wasn't that many there on the Saturday and most were too busy watching and admiring the move! There was a bloke who took nearly as many pics as me, he was one of the corporate dudes that got taken on the shuttle bus etc. Maybe asking the organisers to put the word out might get you in contact with him? Can't for the life of me remember his name (was a half fancy name- not a mike or barry or trev kind of name)- just that he had a 100-400mm lens......
I noticed that had you been actually competing for class, you would have been low 40's in a field of 90- not bad my friend........ :wink:

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:30 am 

awesome pics! Thanks foe sharing! Love that 120y! :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:58 am 

wow i forgot i sponsored Jeff's Starion! 8)

1988 Mitsubishi Starion GSR-VR widebody

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]