#
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:20 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: 1996 Daihatsu Midget II
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:48 am 

We've just acquired this Midget II from Oregon. The owner couldn't get it registered after buying (and driving it) from Mississippi, so he sold it to us.

The good news: It's in great cosmetic shape, has a clutch pedal and air conditioning.

The bad news: It only runs for a few minutes, then dies. Sometimes it'll restart, but only if you hold the throttle wide open while cranking. Other times, that doesn't work. Fortunately, it's easy to push.

The other bad news: Until I figure out how to remove the seat, engine access isn't great.

Updates soon, I hope.

Last edited by Censport on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 1996 Daihatsu Midget II
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:54 pm 

Back at work this morning, and doing a bit of troubleshooting.

The car runs fine cold, but as it warms up, it sounds like it's starving for fuel. As long as you're working the throttle, it will keep running. But then it's only running off the accelerator pump. Try to let it idle and it dies right away. I'm thinking the float could be sticking or an idle jet is plugged. I called one of my old racing buddies who uses a Hi-Jet for a shop truck. As it turns out, he ran into the same problem with his truck. He got a rebuild kit and cleaned the carb, but found that the choke was opening too much and too quickly, not giving the fuel enough volume. So I figured I would remove the inlet tube running from the air cleaner to the carb and watch the choke as the engine warmed up. As soon as I shined a light into the top of the carb, I realized I might have stumbled upon a clue... :wink:

Yuck! So the next thing is a carb kit and some cleaner. I wonder if the dealerships in Japan still have carb kits? If so, I can pick one up on my next trip.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:04 pm 

Cool! I saw one of these driving the other day, man it's so small !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:01 am 

Picked up a carb kit a few weeks ago, and one of our guys at work volunteered to rebuild it. It's clean now, and he found the idle jet (below the main butterfly) was completely plugged. But even with the clean carb, it still won't idle once it's warmed up. It will run off the accelerator pump (when you rev it), but starves of fuel when you try to let it idle. Once the lift is available again, I'll trace a few of the vacuum lines back to their sources, but I'm still thinking it's a choke issue.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]