#
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: RE: Datsun 240Z at Chicago Auto Show
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:27 am 

RE: Datsun 240Z at Chicago Auto Show
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/20 ... /#comments

I have extremely bad news.
I walked into the Nissan display at the Chicago Auto Show, and immediately noticed that there was no 240Z.
I walked over to the desk and asked Nissan rep where the 240Z was.
He said that the 240Z disappeared after the pre show opening and was not even there for the press day. As soon as that photo was taken, the car was yanked out of the show and returned to the owner. He might have said that was Georgia, I am not remembering that bit.

They did have a very few mentions of older Japanese cars in the Chicago Show retrospective exhibit (3 mentions out of maybe 100 B&W photos of notable bits from the shows since the 1930's).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:18 am 

Well that sucks... :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:28 am 
Administrator

i agree that sucks but that doesn't really qualify as "extremely bad news" does it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:05 am 

burabuda wrote:
i agree that sucks but that doesn't really qualify as "extremely bad news" does it?

OK, maybe it was extremely bad news only to me, after driving all that way and not getting to see a nostalgic car at the show. If someone else is planning on going before the end of the show, now we all know not to expect that one as one of the highlights. I was pretty bummed out.

They always have the customized modern car exhibition, SCCA and drag race exhibit, and Volo car museum displays, but not a lot of 60's and 70's Japanese potential there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:06 am 
JNC Fanatic

This is really, really common for auto shows. They will display a vintage car in the exhibit for press days and pull it before the public days. I can think of dozens of examples offhand. I remember being especially pissed when press photos of the FWD Impala's debut showed a trio of vintage Impalas behind it- come show opening for the NAIAS, they had been replaced with more new production cars.

Post subject: Car Show
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:23 am 

:td: Not cool...but like stated...not uncommon. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:49 pm 
Administrator

I hope you didn't drive all the way just to see the Z. If so, I'm sorry! :oops:

But you know there's the big Z-car/Nissan show in Branson, MO every year to get your Z fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:16 pm 

ben wrote:
I hope you didn't drive all the way just to see the Z. If so, I'm sorry! :oops:

But you know there's the big Z-car/Nissan show in Branson, MO every year to get your Z fix.

The show was a business trip. But the 240Z would have been a high point (and I'm not particularly a Nissan fan but it's better than NASCAR and minivans, make the best of what you can). Especially given the new low point, having to shoo the local drunks away from the cars so I could shoot the pictures I was there to shoot. It took ten minutes to get one picture of the R8!

Random thoughts from a long day of work:
    "I'll see your one guy staggering through the middle of the picture, and raise you two drunk guys bent down and grabbing at the brake rotor through the wheel."
    "No ma'am, you aren't out of the frame, your big gut is still sticking into the picture."
    "No, you polite people who stopped before walking into the frame, go ahead and go by, I have to wait for the drunk guy who decided to lay across the hood."
    "That's right, march right up, open the door, get in, and don't close the door behind you, because it doesn't matter if your head is visible in the car, but if you keep the door open I can't see the body lines in the photo."
    "That guy with the camera just closed that trunk lid and walked over and lined up to take a picture, it's the perfect time for you to decide to check out how big the trunk is, and why not leave it open when you walk away."
    "Yes, you with the camera phone, just march right between the guy with the real camera and what he is pointing his camera at, because your tinker toy, low res picture is so much more important, now waste time standing in the way emailing the picture to your friends, what, no bars, well move from left to right, but not out of the picture frame, does it hurt when I beat you about the head and shoulders with this monopod?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:55 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Dang that sucks. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:00 am 
Administrator

are there takebacks on that thumbs up we gave to Nissan?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]