#
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:17 am

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Help needed from an Aussie member
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:00 pm 

I'm looking for a back issue of Fast Fours Magazine, featuring Ben Cox's Datsun 1200 Coupe. Anyone have it and/or want to sell it? :mrgreen:

Looks like this:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:01 pm 

Even if you can just tell me what month/year it was, that's something... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:12 pm 

I might have it....but you'll have to narrow it down to at least a 5yr period so i know where to look :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:20 pm 

kev wrote:
I might have it....but you'll have to narrow it down to at least a 5yr period so i know where to look :D

My wild ass guess is 1997-2002? :P

That photo was uploaded to the 1200 forum on 7/5/2002.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:47 am 

yeah i'd say 1995-2000 going by the style of the magazine artwork :)

i have most fast fours from issue one to about 2002 and i dont have that issue afaik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:42 am 

redzone wrote:
yeah i'd say 1995-2000 going by the style of the magazine artwork :)

i have most fast fours from issue one to about 2002 and i dont have that issue afaik

I had a look, but don't have it sorry...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:48 am 
JNC Fanatic

Datsunfreak,

I have the missing mag, Fast fours February 2001 edition, series 6 Rx-7 and MR-2 on the cover and a police lady - not real I'm a thinking!

Want me to chase down a copy for you, one I have is looking a little worse for wear! Many reads over the years...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:14 am 

B1500boy wrote:
Fast fours February 2001 edition

Thanks!

Quote:
Want me to chase down a copy for you, one I have is looking a little worse for wear!

If it's not too much hassle, that would be awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:29 pm 
JNC Fanatic

No problems at all, I'll keep you posted! :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:04 pm 

B1500boy wrote:
No problems at all, I'll keep you posted! :tu:

Thanks. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:37 pm 

B1500boy wrote:
Datsunfreak,

I have the missing mag, Fast fours February 2001 edition, series 6 Rx-7 and MR-2 on the cover and a police lady - not real I'm a thinking!

Want me to chase down a copy for you, one I have is looking a little worse for wear! Many reads over the years...

Any luck? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:14 am 

Try this seller, I have bought stuff from him before. He's quite good. He has a range of old magazines (Fast Fours).

http://ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=48 ... 1#p2308091

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:16 am 

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:20 am 

If you don't mind i'll throw a WTB ad on rollaclub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:21 pm 

gambit4000s wrote:
If you don't mind i'll throw a WTB ad on rollaclub

Please do. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:47 am 

I can probably track that one down, it's an NZ car... and our local magazine "NZ Performance Car" also did a feature on that iirc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:12 pm 

Snoozin wrote:
I can probably track that one down, it's an NZ car... and our local magazine "NZ Performance Car" also did a feature on that iirc...

Any features on that car, I am VERY interested in. :tu: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:00 am 

No luck on a copy yet

but.....

NZ Performance car wrote:
Ben Cox - DATT0 - RSL - 10.83 @ 210kph

found another source 9.955 @ 138.78 mph
Fast Fours wrote:
Coupe D'Etat
Ben Cox, like so many Kiwis, built his steed as a multi-purpose runner – ala street, drags and circuit. Getting the most value out of an investment is, as far as Ben is concerned, what it’s all about. Check out the equipment concealed inside his little Datto and you’ll get the picture. For the record, the 1200 is equipped with almost everything necessary to make the most of its 200SX 2-litre DOHC turbo engine’s plentiful poke. The engine is long from stock. In the name of sweet but effective simplicity a bunch of bolt-ons make the required difference. Actually, even more performance will get dialed in once Ben gets stuck into the car’s next rebuild, but more on that shortly.

Considering there seems to be millions of imports filling space in Kiwi wrecking yards as well as roaming the local arteries, it may not be a big surprise to find that Ben has topped his potent powerhouse with some exotic goodies. There’s a match ported Pulsar GTiR inlet manifold, cut in half and about faced to fit. The factory T28 turbo is set at one bar. But hey, even at this low figure, dyno figures tell a story of 245 hp at the wheels or something like 300hp at the flywheel. Enough as it turns out for a traction challenged 13.2 @ 108 mph at Meremere drag strip.

Read on below advertisment..

Making it all happen is a MoTeC M48 engine management computer with fully implemented anti-lag system, Turbonetics external wastegate, GReddy BOV and full-length three-inch mandrel bent exhaust system. Intake temperatures are notably reduced with the aid of a custom three-core radiator fronted by an EVO 5 intercooler with modified tanks and piping.
Ben is fairly accomplished when it comes to most things automotive. In fact he can personally take credit for the fully rewired engine bay, the paint, panel and almost all of the mechanical mayhem.

Gettin' Greasy
Ben bought the coupe five years ago intent on creating something unique, after a detailed history with a Datsun 1200 sedan, Corolla KE30 and KE70, 1991 Subaru Legacy (Liberty turbo) and a Toyota EP82 Starlet. During the five years he’s owned the coupe Ben has fully seam welded its body, replaced the trans tunnel with a larger unit out of a 200SX and completed the undercarriage with some very serious underwear. Keeping the car pointed in the right direction is a tidy blend of custom adjustable height struts with re-valved Bilstein inserts and squat 60mm diameter springs, dumping the Datto four inches downward. Ben also added adjustable raised strut tops.

Having served most of its life in a Datsun B210 (1600) Ute, the diff with its locked 4.1:1 centre, benefits from re-tensioned (4.5-inches, south!) leaf springs incorporating an additional one and a half leaves. These help to calm the diff and are further enhanced with Bilstein coil-over shocks and 200 pound springs!

Braking is just as serious. It kicks off with a Wilwood pedal box incorporating adjustable balance bar mounted under the dash. Up front reside BMW 325i rotors and Wilwood four spot calipers, whilst the ass end is pulled down with late model Nissan discs and calipers. Rounding out the mechanical package is a stock Nissan S14 200SX five-speed manual trans' with factory clutch and modified tail shaft.

In keeping with the performance theme, the interior was deprived of modern comforts, like carpet. Well, maybe dollars or the lack of them came into it somewhere! What it does have is an array of after market gauges including an AutoMeter Monster tacho, oil pressure, water temperature, boost and fuel pressure gauges. There’s also a shift light and Link knock sensor. The seats come from the Raceteck nameplate and are endowed with five point harnesses. And just to be completely different, Ben mounted the brake fluid reservoirs on the dash.

That’s about it for now, however Ben’s not about to back off the pace. His plans include fitting custom carpet, overhauling the rear end with a fabricated five-link combo, possibly adding mini tubs and quite probably a new engine and trans. He’s already sourced an S15 200SX SR20DET engine and 6-slotter, and has put the current engine and box on the market.
One thing you can be assured of with the upgrade is an engine delivering at least 300 horsepower to the wheels in 900kgs or better! With the new suspension and more power, the Datto will surely be a potent little all rounder!

Story by Greg Brindley. Photos by Mark Bean.

Fast Fax
Vehicle: '72 B110 Datsun 1200 coupe
Engine: S14 Nissan 200SX 2-litre SR20DET turbo
Induction: Factory T28 turbo, ‘reversed’ Nissan GTiR inlet plenum, Turbonetics external 45mm wastegate, GReddy BOV, MoTeC M48 ECU with anti-lag
Internals: Stock
Ignition:
Exhaust: Owner made three-inch mandrel off turbo

Drivetrain
Gearbox: S14 Nissan 200SX five-speed
Differential: Datsun B210 Roadstar Ute 4.1:1, locked
Clutch: Stock S14
Brakes: F: Wilwood pedal box with adjustable balance bar, BMW 325 rotors with Wilwood four-spot calipers, R: Late model Nissan rotors and calipers

Wheels & Tyres
Front & Rear: 16x7 & 16x7.5-inch Simmons OM, 205/40/16 Falken
Power Output: 245hp rear wheels
Quarter Mile:

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:24 pm 
JNC Fanatic

datsunfreak wrote:
B1500boy wrote:
Datsunfreak,

Any luck? :cry:

Not yet mate, didn't think one mag would be so hard to find. Seems to be plenty of the 15-20 year old mark mags. Just went to the Toowoomba swap meet here - the largest in the state - and still no luck!!

As I mentioned before, I do have that copy - you're welcome to it - just the mag isn't in fantastic state that's all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:50 pm 

B1500boy wrote:
As I mentioned before, I do have that copy - you're welcome to it - just the mag isn't in fantastic state that's all

At this point, I'm okay with one that's been previously loved. Don't need mint necessarily... :mrgreen:

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next