#
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:45 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: A few highlights from Goodwood Festival of Speed
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:52 am 

When it was announced that Mazda, and their rotary racing heritage in particular, would be showcased at this year's Festival of Speed, I was determined that this would be the year I finally went.

Being the featured marque, Mazda got a special sculpture as a centrepiece of the whole event, right in front of the house

A (replica) 787B leads a specially built physical embodiment of the LM55 Vision Gran Turismo concept racer

At Goodwood you can get right up close to the cars - only your sense of respect stops you touching them (or not, as the case may be)

and naturally, the rotaries ran up the hill

I also got to stand a yard away from the 787B while it was revving up, definitely the best possible way to lose one's hearing!

Mazda brought a 792P, the winning '91 787B, a '90 787B, a 767, and an older Mazda-engined Chevron - I'm sorry I didn't get more pics, but the whole event is so overwhelming with special cars, I felt I needed to put the camera down in order to experience the magic.

Power by Mazda Rotary - Japan
Mazda Rotary Engine License: NSU-Wankel

There were also rather good representatives of each of the three generations of RX-7: the '81 Spa-winning FB, an IMSA GTO FC, and Mad Mike Whiddett's four-rotor FD

A special mention for the kiwi - the way he drifts up the narrow, bumpy, flint-lined driveway takes drifting back, away from ludicrous 'reverse entries' on wide open racetracks and back to the mountain roads where it was born. He has also managed to win acceptance from 'the establishment', since his debut last year was super-popular and he was immediately invited back - so IMO he's doing a lot to bring this part of Japanese car culture to a wider audience.

And finally, one very significant non-Mazda - the 1965 Mexico GP winner, the Honda RA272

This was described as "Winning machine.", so I guess it was the actual car.

It was an incredible event, I'd highly recommend it to anyone who loves cars.

Post subject: Re: A few highlights from Goodwood Festival of Speed
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:55 am 

Since I didn't get so many pics myself, here are a few pro ones of the cars:

NOT MY PICS, JUST LINKING THEM
All pics (c) Tim Scott / SportsCarDigest.com

787B

792P

Mad Mike's RX-7

Image (pic from grrc.goodwood.com )

Pics from:
http://www.sportscardigest.com/goodwood-festival-of-speed-2015-report-and-photos/20/

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]