#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: New Member: 1993 Miata
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:02 am 

Hello, everyone.

I recently discovered the site and have been doing some heavy lurking. I have been interested in getting a Celica, Corolla, or possibly an L series EA82T Subaru wagon. I don't currently have what would be called a nostalgic J car. I have a 1993 Miata, a 1991 turbo Cavalier Wagon, and a 1988 Trans Am GTA. All of my cars are heavily modified. I do all of my own fab work, and I do a little here and there for friends.

The Miata is wrapped in matte black vinyl, has a host of suspension, brake and engine upgrades, and is my daily driver. It currently weighs 2160lbs.

The Wagon is a built 3.2 liter 60 degree V6 with ported heads and a cam. It makes 360whp at 6200rpm on 14psi. It is very rev happy. It currently weighs 2485lbs. I have a new motor going into the car soon (hopefully), that will make 310whp on 8psi, 430whp on 16psi, and I plan to make near 500+whp on 20+psi. The new motor revs to 8500rpm, and is an extremely fully built 3.2 liter V6. It has a giant solid roller cam and is about as near to bullet proof as you can make these motors. I have a ton of upgrades in store for this poor junk wagon. I recently purchased a stock 4 door 1993 sedan Cavalier to put the wagons current motor into. I plan to detune it, run an auto transmission, and make around 230whp.

The GTA is a long term project. I originally built a 6 liter LS2 for the car, and planned to make 450whp. I ended up changing plans and started building a turbo motor that quickly got out of hand. I ended up scrapping that plan, after I figured that 1500hp was just not what I was looking to make. A more docile 6.2 liter motor is in the works now. I have a nice set of rods, a really incredible set of cylinder heads, and I am awaiting a block and crank to start building the new motor. I plan on making 520whp naturally aspirated. I really want to build an ITB setup for the car. The current weight, if I don't pull any more from the car, is around 2780lbs. Chances are, I will pull more weight.

So far, I love the site. I look forward to a J-tin nostalgic project joining my stable soon.

Post subject: welcome
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:36 pm 

Welcome! Nice rides, man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:23 pm 

welcome, that miata is a beauty, like the colour

any marques will do, just put your heart and soul to it :wink: but i'm sure you do by looking the other cars you have :tu:

but the celica will be awesome, i know i'm bias :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:58 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Nice stuff! Love the Miata and wagon. 8) Welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:03 pm 

I love the wagon. :tu: :mrgreen:

And since I feel I must... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:32 am 

datsunfreak wrote:
I love the wagon. :tu: :mrgreen:

And since I feel I must... :P

Trust me, I am with you all the way.

The car currently has a very undersized 2.5 inch exhaust system on it that runs out of the back of the car, and due to the rear suspension design, I was unable to lower it to my liking. There just is not enough room to run the exhaust over the rear beam axle. I have a partially completed 3 inch side exit exhaust. After I finish the fabrication work on the NA Miata I have at my house, I will build a quick 3 inch down pipe, and serious lower the car. It sits up really high, and I don't really care for the look. I am going to try and adapt 4th gen F-body front and rear brakes, changing the bolt pattern form the stock 5x100, to a more suitable 5x4.75. I have a set of 16x8 cross lace wheels off of a GTA that I want to put on the car, and the offset is just perfect. I just might have to build some fender flares, but that will not be a problem with me. I think with the bigger exhaust, and me re-tuning the Haltech that I have controlling the engine, I could make a little bit more power on the current engine. I am limited by the headgasket and somewhat sub-optimal cylinder head retention on the current motor. The new motor waiting to go in has no issues in that department, but it needs a fairly large amount of fabrication and time to complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:00 am 

That Cavalier is too friggin' badass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:35 am 

TacoDelRio wrote:
That Cavalier is too friggin' badass!

Thank you!

Most people don't care for it, due to its "out dated" and "boxy" shape. Personally, I have lusted over the boxy Cavalier wagons for more than a decade. I think my wagon is stupid, but in a good way.

One thing is for sure, no one expects it. The power to weight ratio is pretty impressive, and it has surprised a few people.

The motor is basically a built LG5, which was a 3.1 liter motor that was modified by ASC/McLaren for the 1989/1990 Turbo Pontiac Grand Prix. The wagon originally had a 3.1 V6, but no wagons were offered with a manual 5 speed and a V6, so one was swapped in. The transmission is stock, save for a 6-puck clutch and a 2-way LSD. The few people who have rode in the wagon are immediately impressed with how brutal it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:41 am 

miatas are stupid.. nah, you're in good company:

LOVE your wagon. i've seen it before, i think on club roadster. freakin sick man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:52 am 

E-AT_me wrote:

LOVE your wagon. i've seen it before, i think on club roadster. freakin sick man.

Miatas are stupid. Make sure that whatever you do, you don't let anyone think anything different. It is the only way we can preserve cheap prices on Miata parts and cars. :)

I actually thought about putting the motor out of the wagon into my Miata, but I really would rather keep the Miata N/A. I originally bought the Miata with the intent of swapping in an F20C, but I haven't found a cheap enough motor. Lately I have been thinking about a blacktop 4AGE 20V...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:19 am 
JNC Fanatic

Yeah, I can't get enough of that wagon. It rocks. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:58 am 

welcome, loving the miata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:24 pm 

vejatabul wrote:
The car currently has a very undersized 2.5 inch exhaust system on it that runs out of the back of the car, and due to the rear suspension design, I was unable to lower it to my liking. There just is not enough room to run the exhaust over the rear beam axle.

Why not run the exhaust under the axle? This is a common problem in Datsuns with a solid axle and the fix is usually to run the exhaust under the axle. Gives you more clearance to go low, and a straighter exhaust. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:25 pm 

Did you strip and polish your hood? That's wild...

E-AT_me wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:58 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:

Why not run the exhaust under the axle? This is a common problem in Datsuns with a solid axle and the fix is usually to run the exhaust under the axle. Gives you more clearance to go low, and a straighter exhaust. :tu:

Two reasons;

1. Ground clearance. Under the axle would be very low to the ground.

2. I need a larger exhaust system on the car anyway. The exhaust on the car is extremely nice. It is all TIG welded and V-band clamped. If I were to re-rout the exhaust under the axle, I might as well build another system in 3 inch. All I lack for the new system in a muffler. I have a Magnaflow on the car now, and I really like it, so I will probably use one for the new system. Either way, when the new motor goes in, I have to build a new system, and I will build it in 3.5 inch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:19 am 

datsunfreak wrote:
Did you strip and polish your hood? That's wild...

yes. i did. :)

yeah, there was a miata with the F20c swap done up in PA a few months ago for sale. really nicely done. sold for about 12k i think?? good luck with the swap. the stock motors are awesome for boost, terrible for NA. would have to shave a LOT to gain some compression, etc. etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:20 am 

I am pretty interested in 200whp in pretty much stock form. Like I said, I haven't found a motor at a decent price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:24 pm 

Also, FYI there's a few guys who bring their Miatas to our local DFW Old School Meet, so you'd be welcome to as well. :tu: :mrgreen:

Heck, I almost would rather you bring the Cavalier... :P

It's the first Sunday of every month:

viewtopic.php?t=2043

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:28 pm 

I will be out in FTW for the gun show. I just might have to stop in.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]