It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Stance Defined
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:20 pm 

Hope you enjoy...

Quote:
As written by Nic Foster, StanceWorks:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the official Stance Formula.
I’d like to think I’m a student of Stance. I capitalize Stance on purpose; for the same reason Catholic’s capitalize God. Some of you may be aware that I’m an engineer. I work with numbers, criteria, mechanical envelopes, and constraints all day long. Most of the things in the engineering world come about from equations, safety factors, or other design criteria that must be adhered to. As a good student of Stance, I look at cars quite a bit on the internet. Clicking on links of links. Getting lost in a sea of still images, each one showing a different definition of what Stance might be, or how someone else perceives it. Part of me has always thought that there must be some sort of equation that provides a basis for proper Stance. Here I make an attempt to define the variables and relationship between those variables that blend together to make a well balanced Stance.

Variables:
Gap — A measure of distance between wheel lip or tire to fender. Although weighted differently than low, the lack of fender gap creates an aggressive look and the feeling of danger due to the potential for damage (see Damage further down). {G1} refers to gap between the front wheel/tire and front fender. {G2} refers to gap between the rear wheel/tire and rear fender. {G1}{G2}

Wheelbase — The distance between the wheels of the automobile in question. {Wb}

Muffler — How much space there is between the ground and muffler can. Busted mufflers that dangle and move need not apply. {M}

Oilpan — Common place where low is measured. Usually at the front of an automobile, this Low measurement marks the beginning of the Low Function. {Op}

Rake — The slope (rise over run) of the bottom of the automobile were Low is measured.

Exhaust — Another common place where low is measured. Exhaust usually extends back from Oilpan and is measured in inches. {E}

Low — The measurement of clearance from any portion of the automobile to the surface on which it rolls. Of course Stance is not achievable without low. In all forms of Stance, low is a requirement. Low can be expressed as a function of previously defined variables.

Wheel — A rolling apparatus that the tire mounts to, providing increased style and personality to the automobile in question. Wheels can create Stance in one of many ways. Customization, rarity, size, uniqueness, marque mismatch. {w}

Poke — The extension of the wheel lip even with, or past the fender line. Poke can be achieved with spacers or, in the case of modular wheels, wider outers. Poke can be excessive, depending on other variable measurements poke can detract from Stance. {P}

Stretch — The use of a tire that is more narrow than the wheel. In order to mount these tires one must “stretch” them beyond their normal design constraints. {Sr}

Damage — The lack of damage is not a penalty when talking about Stance, but damage as a direct result of Stance is seen as a form of Stance in itself. Like the inherent hangover associated with drinking too much, damage seems to be an acceptable side effect of Stance. Like a hangover, damage hurts at first, but is then worn as a badge of honor. Fender damage from the effects of Gap, or mechanical failure of Oilpan as a function of Low, and damage in the vein of Style are all acceptable forms of damage. {D}

Tuck — When Gap becomes a negative number. Used only in reference to wheel lip. {T}

Style — The most subjective of all variables. Style refers to the ability of the automobile owner to create Stance through the use of unique materials, vision, and unique combinations. Style could be best described as the art form of Stance. {Sy}

Constants:
Daylight — The presence of photons (in a wave or particle form) emitted from the sun. {Dl}

Relations:
Working on relating all the variables to each other is essentially the process of Stance. Some relations have already been defined through the explanation of the variables. Rules per se. Taking all these variables and making an overlying Stance equation is a daunting task. Taking the variables and defining which of them are multipliers, which can or can not be present in the event of the others existence, and making sure that weights are adequately placed on those which make the largest Stance impact all become an exersize. As a student of Stance I have scoured the internet looking for the most prevalent, prolific, and popular examples of Stance. Using these examples the Stance equation / formula was born.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:33 pm 

...I really should have paid more attention at school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:51 pm 
Administrator

hmm, never thought about doing that to an e21 :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:16 pm 

burabuda wrote:
hmm, never thought about doing that to an e21 :twisted:

Easily the dopest E21 around is owned by the gentleman who wrote that... 8)

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/09/29/car-spotlight-gt-gt-stanceworks-e21-from-arizona.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:22 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Further proof that you can't escape math no matter what lol

And to think I can follow that pretty much and I am just a lowly machinist lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:07 pm 

Bogus. Integrating over the oil pan to muffler height...aha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:17 pm 

OK, I watched a website linked from this website descend to the point that they are now rating race cars based on how closely the tire is positioned to the fender lip, instead of how fast the car turns a lap. If that is going to be the fate of this website, tell me now so I can bail.

Otherwise, point me to the racer section where I can be among like minded, form-follows-function, people.

Ride height is determined by the rule set of the governing body:
Quote:
5. Suspension (GT-1)
a. Ride Height
1. No part of the car to the rear of the front tire opening, including the exhaust, may touch the ground when two (2) tires on the same side of the vehicle are deflated.

Or
Quote:
D. Chassis (Super Touring)
5. Minimum ride height is three inches 76.2mm (3”). Ride height will be measured from the lowest part, or component, of the car, excluding suspension, and complete wheels.

Tire size is determined by the vehicle's need for lateral grip weighed against the friction drag on straight line acceleration. Wheel width is determined by the appropriate size to match the tire width for maximum grip.

No part of the tire shall make contact with the metal structure of the vehicle, because that would cause friction and slow the vehicle.

No part of the structure of the vehicle shall touch the ground because that would also cause friction and slow the vehicle.

Whatever the appearance of the wheels and tires is in the fender openings of the vehicle when it is sitting still are secondary to their functionality when the car is sideways in a 1 G corner at 135 MPH or a 2 G corner at 60 MPH.

Yes, every vehicle I own is set up with the intention that it may at any time be put on the track. And my daily driver saw seven out of eight of last year's events, beating trailered race cars with five first place finishes. And at that eighth event that my daily driver could not be at, I borrowed another family member's street car, raced it, and brought home a sixth first place finish.

I'm not attacking people who want to drag their cars across the pavement or burn the tread off their tires against the wheel wells. I just want to make sure that those who do want to do those things don't make the climate inhospitable for those of us for whom form-follows-function.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:10 pm 

Amen, JT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:16 pm 

JT191 wrote:
OK, I watched a website linked from this website descend to the point that they are now rating race cars based on how closely the tire is positioned to the fender lip, instead of how fast the car turns a lap.

And that's why those guys are over there, and we are over here. 8)

Quote:
Otherwise, point me to the racer section where I can be among like minded, form-follows-function, people.

My favorite place for that is:
http://roadraceautox.com/

Quote:
I'm not attacking people who want to drag their cars across the pavement or burn the tread off their tires against the wheel wells. I just want to make sure that those who do want to do those things don't make the climate inhospitable for those of us for whom form-follows-function.

I can assure you there is zero chance of that. :tu:

That sort of behaviour will not be allowed from either side of the debate. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:37 pm 

JT191 wrote:

JT - Fair point, but it's called a difference of opinion. It'd be a very boring bloody world if everyone had the same ideas and opinions on subjects such as cars. FWIW, I too, throw my cars around a track, and whilst I'm not about to rush out and do what the original post says, I respect his opinion. These differences is what makes us so passionate about our own - probably like yours, mine and many others on here.

Cheers,
GBG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:09 pm 

i just don't see how guys can drive around on city streets with the car that low & not scrape everything in sight.

personally i don't care for the look of the bimmer, but i'm getting old & like more practical comfort :?

99 SXV20 Camry - TRD Grocery Getter
89 AW11 MR2 Hardtop - SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:10 am 
Administrator

Is this meant to be a joke? I ask in all honesty because my brain threatened to shoot itself if I read past the 2nd formula.

I don't doubt there are certain ratios that are pleasing to the human eye. After all, such things such as Golden Ratio and ideal Waist-to-Hip Ratio exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist-hip_ratio (contains butts, possibly NSFW)

And if there are ideal ratios for automotive proportions, then the French must be aliens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:38 am 

I don't think that formula is meant to be taken seriously :D

I mean, if we were to do the same and come up with a J-nostalgic formula for closeness of mirror to the front of fender, number of rivets on wheelarch flares, inches of dish and bonus multiplier for sakura-shaped items, it would be just for fun and not science :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:12 pm 
Administrator

I believe there's such a thing as a J-nostalgic formula, floating around in the ether waiting to be discovered :D. After looking at mounds of J-tin the proportions of new cars just seem to be... off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:12 pm 
Administrator

darthripley wrote:
i just don't see how guys can drive around on city streets with the car that low & not scrape everything in sight.

they don't :wink:
it's a parking lot/car show look that wows the spectators
if you pay close attention, you'll see them being trailer in and out

the other option is bagged, and of course those cars can't handle too well

i enjoy the look, but i prefer that somebody else do it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:36 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

burabuda wrote:

i enjoy the look, but i prefer that somebody else do it :)

Exactly, their are a few blogs out there dedicated to the stance and look of a car. While they are fun to look at I would not want to have a car nearly that useless. Race car looks, show car performance..... no thanks.

'83 Sapporo Technica; '84 Starion ES; '80 Colt; '79 Cressida
'91 RX7 convertible; '68 Camaro SS 350 convertible; '71 NSU 1200c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:31 pm 

TSiSS350 wrote:
While they are fun to look at I would not want to have a car nearly that useless. Race car looks, show car performance..... no thanks.

i second that statement.. its like zip ties on a race car. implies function not a trailer queen...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:41 pm 

arsonist63086 wrote:
i second that statement.. its like zip ties on a race car. implies function not a trailer queen...

That reminds me...I just found out that some ppl I know deliberately break their bodykits so that they can stitch them back with cable ties for authentic-looking drift damage :lol:

Oh dear :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:09 pm 

ben wrote:
Is this meant to be a joke

Yes. And apparently very few people got it and/or thought it was humorous. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:23 pm 

kev wrote:
arsonist63086 wrote:

That reminds me...I just found out that some ppl I know deliberately break their bodykits so that they can stitch them back with cable ties for authentic-looking drift damage :lol:

Oh dear :D

you kidding me.... :| wtf!!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next