#
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:58 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The word "JDM"
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:26 pm 

Is it just me or what... but it is starting to piss me off these days. The word JDM is sooo misused that is really pisses me off. JDM means Japanese Domestic Market but I see so many people just using it for the hell of it. I would think JDM applies to something you can not get here like a RHD car of parts that are not officially sold in the USA like a Hakosuka chin spoiler. Every little part that is used in a Japanese car being modified is claiming JDM these days. what the hell? Am I alone or are there others out there that thing the same. SPEAK UP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:38 am 
Administrator

I agree, but i feel this has been happening for a while now... several years at least.

I would say that a shakotan nostalgic with stuff like skinny bumpers and fender mirrors but not necessarily RHD could be called JDM. It's probably more proper to call it JDM-style, but I wouldn't fault anyone for using the terms interchangably in this case. I know this isn't what you meant, but this felt like a good time to clarify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:31 am 

It's all marketting, my friend. How many Civics with tow hooks and unused roof racks with race parts and a severely obese driver do I see everyday? :lol:

Makes money. Makes little sense otherwise. I've got a JDM rust conversion kit on the back of my TE72.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:06 am 
Well,everybody's free to interpret the JDM abbreviation anyway they like.Doesn't have to mean Japanese Domestic Market. Juvenile Delinquent Motorist also fits... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:06 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

RoadsterViking wrote:
Well,everybody's free to interpret the JDM abbreviation anyway they like.Doesn't have to mean Japanese Domestic Market. Juvenile Delinquent Motorist also fits... :wink:

Just'a Dumb Moron came to mind :lol:

But, if I can, I'll milk the JDM thing for all it's worth... At home, we live the JDM life - we use JDM mayo, JDM salad dressing, wipe our hands with JDM moist towelettes, wash our dishes with JDM sponges.... shall I go on? :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:54 pm 
:lol: IT'S THE JNC COMEDY HOUR! :lol:
We're here 'till wednesday.Do try the veal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:49 pm 

I guess I too am JDM at home cause I take my shoes off before I go in the house but I know what your talking about robakun about the JDM thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:45 pm 

I don't care, but you know what's even worse? When people refer to Japanese cars as USDM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:08 pm 

littlejason wrote:
When people refer to Japanese cars as USDM.

But most of the Japanese cars here in the US are USDM. :P

That just means cars built and designed (and sold) for the US market only. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:10 pm 

Always makes me giggle when people go "but it has to be completely stock to be JDM" (an attitude that I have come across commonly over in these parts).

So, with the addition of some wheels and suspension my KP suddenly ceases somehow, to be sold new in Japan 28 years ago. :lol:

Everyone interprets it differently, 'JDM' has transcended what I guess you could call it's core meaning and has evolved into an identifiable automotive subgenre... whether the purists like it or not (and yes, I consider myself a toffee nosed purist but that's just me).

Anyway, move along...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:44 am 

:lol: i love hearing that word. lols. it does get tyre some. it's like those beginner and senior driver decals, wakaba?? i believe. why does that make you so f-ing "jdm"
but you get use to it. it's not gonna go away either. with the market growing so big, the newbies and future newbies are going to use it. well at least until a new word comes out for it.

model car blogspot
http://zenkitrdcoupe.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:08 am 

I've always maintained that I'm like a reverse twinkie, white on the outside, yellow on the inside. I'm so JDM the Japanese are jealous.

I kid, I kid... I don't think it's as bad here in the NW, just because we have a littel bit better acces to Canada and the far East so actual JDM parts are a little more plentiful. I think (for the most part) even the ricers know the difference between a real JDM piece and a knock off or JDM style replica. The term has a lot of respect still tied to it up here for the most part. that being said there are morons who still think their Ford Focus has a bunch of JDM parts on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:47 pm 

I've come to view "JDM" as an annoying meme, perhaps not quite evolved into a trend per se, but still a bit silly.

but in saying that, I sometimes get a kick out of telling people my Ford Laser (aka Mercury Tracer in North America) is JDM... mainly because it is built for the Japanese market. (hell, I have the original sales catalogues, all in Japanese, which makes heads explode)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:42 pm 

I agree the "jdm" thing is annoying.. but it is really fun to f... w/the jdm boys if you can! recently I took my 1992 original mini cooper to our local brit car show, my mini is really JDM! it was built for and sold new in japan.
so its a real japanese market car, so for fun i put "this car is JDM!!" on the
tag they give you to identify your car. It was real fun to explain to the two
knuckleheads that asked if i even knew what it really means.... so i did and they left shaking their heads realizing my british car was more JDM than there civic with a fart can on it!! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:36 pm 
Administrator

just as annoying is using the term "nos" or "new old stock" for newly manufactured parts ... there's at least a couple ebay sellers that stamp nos on everything they sell
(you guys know who you are) :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:21 am 

18rgRabbit wrote:
I agree the "jdm" thing is annoying.. but it is really fun to f... w/the jdm boys if you can! recently I took my 1992 original mini cooper to our local brit car show, my mini is really JDM! it was built for and sold new in japan.
so its a real japanese market car, so for fun i put "this car is JDM!!" on the
tag they give you to identify your car. It was real fun to explain to the two
knuckleheads that asked if i even knew what it really means.... so i did and they left shaking their heads realizing my british car was more JDM than there civic with a fart can on it!! :oops:

I helped a buddy to a 'JDM' conversion on his Chevy Cavalier jsut for fun but it was great fun to explain to the fan boys that while it was an American car, Toyota bought the rights to it and made Toyota Cavaliers for a number of years. Really tough conversion too, slap some new badges and a camry sterring wheel and viola, pretty much a Toyota Cavalier!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:59 pm 

ohcanada_00 wrote:
Really tough conversion too, slap some new badges and a camry sterring wheel and viola, pretty much a Toyota Cavalier!!!!!

Yes, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 pm 

good point! Wouldn't that trip some people out to have a fully swapped JDM Cavalier?!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:01 pm 

ohcanada_00 wrote:
Wouldn't that trip some people out to have a fully swapped JDM Cavalier?!!!

There is no doubt in my mind... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:55 pm 
JNC Fanatic

datsunfreak wrote:
ohcanada_00 wrote:
Wouldn't that trip some people out to have a fully swapped JDM Cavalier?!!!

There is no doubt in my mind... :P

There's been a few Cavaliers with the JDM Toyota stuff all over them. A few in Michigan, even. Someone had a really, really nice navy blue one that had the Toyota badging, power folding mirrors, lights, etc. And it was boosted, so that was neat. Even the dude who "gave" (I use that word loosely) me my Impala had Toyota Cavalier taillights on his car.

That being said,

JDMMMMMMMM

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next