#
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: Bosozoku Info-
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:01 pm 
JNC Fanatic

I'm doing a project for a multicultural class where I'm part of a group giving a presentation on Japan. Since part of my group is already handling the general basics of Japan and culture, and talking about the Yakuza, I decided I wanted to talk about the Bosozoku.

Except now I'm finding it's hard getting reliable info on it. :lol:

It strikes me from what I've managed to find and read that it's mostly made up of under-20 kids, and it's a dying group. But all I've found is information about the motorcycles.

Where do the cars come into the picture? :lol:

I can't seem to find any good info explaining why some Boso guys use cars vs bikes, or if the cars are irrelevant to real Boso dudes.

It also strikes me from my readings that they're considered more of a supreme annoyance than a threat.

Are they dying? Are they a threat at all? Does anyone have a good source for info (or is anyone here a good information source :lol:) that I could use?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:28 pm 
Administrator

This is the first time I've moved something TO the General Discussion forum :).

Sounds like a cool project. Good luck! Maybe when you're done we can even make it into an article if you're willing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:00 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Haha, thanks. I probably won't be writing anything article-worthy for this presentation- however, I would be willing to write something down the line if I can gather enough info, as it really strikes me there just isn't a very solid source for info on the Bosozoku. And with us admiring their cars and ways so much, it seems a shame we don't have this knowledge (At the very least, I don't, haha).

Thanks Ben! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:04 pm 

Boso Zoku. Meaning. Boso = out of control. Zoku = Group. Out of control group. The Bosozoku was originally started out as Kaminarizoku. Back in the day (like 60's) no helmets were required and motorcycles were ridden freely. Then the younger crowd came in and the group became rowdy.

I wrote a thesis on Japanese car culture and lived the days in Japan watching Piero run through the streets and also the new year runs. Groups would run in packs and was run like a machine. There were the tokkoutai that ran all the red lights and made room for the crew, then the bikes would come in and then the cars. The tail were typically motorcycles and they were there to hold off the police.

The word Hakonori was used when the folks would sit on the window sill of the cars and hang out of the cars. Those were the days...

I also been to Enoshima on the weekends when it was still open and that was loads of fun. Just a slow moving car and motorcycle show.

I can go on and on and on... but dont want to write another paper. Koich had a very cool link that had a lot of pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:35 pm 
JNC Fanatic

robakun wrote:
Boso Zoku. Meaning. Boso = out of control. Zoku = Group. Out of control group. The Bosozoku was originally started out as Kaminarizoku. Back in the day (like 60's) no helmets were required and motorcycles were ridden freely. Then the younger crowd came in and the group became rowdy.

I wrote a thesis on Japanese car culture and lived the days in Japan watching Piero run through the streets and also the new year runs. Groups would run in packs and was run like a machine. There were the tokkoutai that ran all the red lights and made room for the crew, then the bikes would come in and then the cars. The tail were typically motorcycles and they were there to hold off the police.

The word Hakonori was used when the folks would sit on the window sill of the cars and hang out of the cars. Those were the days...

I also been to Enoshima on the weekends when it was still open and that was loads of fun. Just a slow moving car and motorcycle show.

I can go on and on and on... but dont want to write another paper. Koich had a very cool link that had a lot of pictures.

Do you still have your thesis? Could you send it to me to read (or is it sort-of private)?

I'd love all the info I can gather. Any idea what Koich's link was?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:42 am 
Administrator

robakun, i'd love to see your thesis too. Maybe that could be an article? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:19 pm 

Sorry folks but that thesis is long gone.... crashed in the 386 from way back... I wish I had it and even more... published it because many of the things that were predicted came true. It was about a 35 page report starting from why Japanese used cars, the mobility of Japan, Car maufacturers, Tuning movement (including a flash of Bosozoku) and the drifting trend. I also did a spotlight on Dorikin which was interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:47 pm 
JNC Fanatic

robakun wrote:
Sorry folks but that thesis is long gone.... crashed in the 386 from way back... I wish I had it and even more... published it because many of the things that were predicted came true. It was about a 35 page report starting from why Japanese used cars, the mobility of Japan, Car maufacturers, Tuning movement (including a flash of Bosozoku) and the drifting trend. I also did a spotlight on Dorikin which was interesting.

OK, now I really want to see this.

Did you say you published it or that you wish you did? If it were published, any idea how I could track it down?

By then my project is likely long dead/gone, but I'm very curious and would love to see this thing anyhow, and I'm sure Ben would too. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:51 pm 
Administrator

Stationwagonguy wrote:
and I'm sure Ben would too. :tu:

you speak the truth :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:36 pm 

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/20 ... ing-tribe/

We did a bit of a blog post some time ago on the bike aspect of bosozoku.

I think I touched on it a little in the blog post, but there is a difference between bosozku, which is more along the wannabe gangster end of the spectrum, and kyusha, which is more the mainstream and respectable face of the scene.

I know we tend to use the term "bosozoku car" but I think that's possibly quite inappropriate since the biker-gang connotation isn't really applicable. So the guys with the wild cars and the pompadour haircuts aren't really "bosozoku" in the sense that they're members of outlaw gangs (ok, maybe some of them are...or were) they are just part of a car scene which shares a similar aesthetic :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:16 am 

Yea its a bummer that I dont have the thesis... sorry man. it sucks that its gone.

Boso cars and bikes are called "zokushya" and are applicable with both the bike and car. All good fun. Route20 was also a local and Specter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:37 am 
You will not get any relevant information unless you do an on-site study. I work directly with a man who participated in this trend, and pulled his son a few months ago, or so he claims. This particular case is not unique, but a low-level Yakaza member sponsors his sons group. It is a form of rebellion steeped in tradition, and most members cling based on identity to the group, and the irritation that satisfies their inexplicable dislike of parents or some other unidentified party. The cars and bikes I have seen are pieces of shit, and have little to do with any automotive desire or trend, other than being different and in the excepted style. Violence against foreigners is expected, and they are "right wing" for the most part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:40 am 
robakun wrote:
Yea its a bummer that I dont have the thesis... sorry man. it sucks that its gone.

Boso cars and bikes are called "zokushya" and are applicable with both the bike and car. All good fun. Route20 was also a local and Specter.

Rt. 20 is heavily patrolled constantly. These guys have moved further into Kanagawa. Police have vigilant patrols from Hachioji into down town Tokyo. Paddy wagons follow and retrieve the ingrates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:47 am 
JNC Fanatic

Interesting. So it's still alive and well, or is it dying off?

Here's some interesting links I did find.

Not Boso, but street racing-
http://www.jingai.com/omoshiroi/hotrod.html

Some interesting articles, curious what the "Motorcycle trap" looks like, though I suppose the description is sufficient
http://www.freewebs.com/bosozokubikes/articles.htm

30some pages of a book on "Kamikaze Bikers"
http://books.google.com/books?id=rAzTfM ... q=&f=false

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:43 pm 
Stationwagonguy wrote:
Interesting. So it's still alive and well, or is it dying off?

Here's some interesting links I did find.

Not Boso, but street racing-
http://www.jingai.com/omoshiroi/hotrod.html

Some interesting articles, curious what the "Motorcycle trap" looks like, though I suppose the description is sufficient
http://www.freewebs.com/bosozokubikes/articles.htm

30some pages of a book on "Kamikaze Bikers"
http://books.google.com/books?id=rAzTfM ... q=&f=false

I don’t know. Each prefecture is different, and a good deal of Japan outside of major cities can be very traditional based on that regions past, and known way of life. These groups are tolerated, and in some cases expected. These groups do conform to some rules (???) based on excepted values of what bad behavior will be tolerated. I don’t know any of these people, have no desire to know, and could really care less. However, I lived here for some time, and I guess I have just absorbed some of the personal tendencies of the Japanese, and I am a good guest. I just stare straight ahead, and on the few occasions bothered by these annoying jackasses, I pretend I don’t notice…….

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:03 pm 

sounds pretty interesting. :D

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]