#
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:17 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Really good product...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:31 am 

I have no vested interest in this product other than it performed well beyond my expectations...

I recently was turned onto Meguiar's "SCRATCH X 2.0" fine scratch and blemish remover. It's the best scratch and polishing compound I have ever used.

Last Monday I inadvertently scratched the driver's side of the Toaster with a tree branch... it's a long story that I'll spare you. Anyway, I initially used a standard white polishing compound and was able to get most of it out, but there were small sections that were still visible - especially on the front of the car, where the branch made initial contact.

On Labor Day I was showing my father-in-law the Toaster's new stripes and graphics - and the spot where it had gotten nailed. He's the one that put me onto the Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 -- the Toaster is completely fixed, and the stuff worked quickly by hand on a dry terry cloth towel.

This morning, on a whim, I tried this stuff on the acid rain stains on the roof of my '80 Challenger. I have tried everything, (short of repainting), to get these damn stains off the roof and trunklid of the car - nothing has worked.

All I can say, (other than Oh my God!!! - several times), is that this stuff is truly amazing. I polished the roof by hand and the stains are nearly invisible.

The stains used to be clearly visible at certain angles and under certain light conditions. Now I have to get down almost level with the surfaces to even see the shadows of where they were. I'm tempted to try this stuff with a buffer - I think it might take the stains out completely.

Try this stuff, guys. It's really, really good stuff. :tu::D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:00 pm 

Should have taken before and after pics :( ...either way glad you got all the scratches out. :tu:

Post subject: meguiars stuff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:27 pm 
If you ever find yourself going to Southern California, you should check out if you can attend a Meguiar's detailing class in Irvine. They hold one each month and it's free, you just have to register on their forum. Every car guy should attend. Basically everything you know about car care(the paint part, not mechanical) is probably wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:40 pm 
JNC Fanatic

I'm a big fan of Meguiars stufff. I'll have to check this stuff out! :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:46 am 

Capital15 wrote:
Should have taken before and after pics :( ...either way glad you got all the scratches out. :tu:

yeah picture will be great

thanks for the heads up, will try the product one day

the only thing that i use from meguiars is their steel polish one :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:26 am 

I wish that I would have taken photos, but I got so wrapped up in what this stuff was doing, it never even occurred to me until I was almost done.

An update on this
:

While this stuff is awesome on scratches, it only had an effect on the acid rain stains for about a day - they came back.

I even used a DA buffer and repeated the application. The paint in the area of the acid blemishes is definitely smoother and the stains aren't as bad, but they are still there.

This product is not the cure-all for acid rain stains as I originally reported.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:27 pm 
Administrator

Thanks for the report. I'll give it a shot on the ol' wagon. Got some branch scratches all down the passenger side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:00 pm 

...Honestly, the Scratch-x is good, but it's not as powerful as any nice compound, really... Though they do well with that, as well :lol:

Also, to keep the paint from reverting after such a treatment, I'd recommend a liberal coating of wax... And keep repeating the cycle for a while...

(Ultimate Compound, btw)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:16 pm 

Rubbing compound FTW. A fellow JNC'r reccomended this to me:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Perfect-Liquid ... B0009KNP58

That's what I used on my fairly oxidized hood, and it made it nice and shiny. It will also take out water spots.

You MUST add wax after using this, or else it will eventually go back to the way it was in a while.

-Robert

My Build/Pic thread

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]