#
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:56 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
 Post subject: wtb jdm plate
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:25 am 

does anyone know where i can get a real jdm plate not one of those custom vinyl ones. or is anyone selling one on here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:03 pm 

There are a ton of them on ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:01 pm 

Yeah, ebay is the best place to find them.

and please do some research beforehand as to which plates match the car you're putting them on - don't just buy any random one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:18 pm 

I see four different things on Ebay:

1. One guy is aluminum plates with vinyl letters, usually spelling out something in English for $23.

2. One guy selling stamped aluminum plates which all have the same prefecture, vehicle class code, and prefix, and four random numbers for $23.

3. On guy claiming "authentic" with stamped aluminum plates, with a couple different prefecture and vehicle class codes (limited and you can't choose), and they all spell out a car related phrase in English, some in f-6 letters, for $23. (Not very authentic.)

4. One guy selling genuine used plates, you choose from what he has to offer, and they go for $35 for singles or $80-150 for a pair.

At the risk of giving away a good secret, I found two custom plate makers:

Autogeek
http://www.autogeek.net/japaneseplate.html
Has only the pattern for Nagano Prefecture.
You choose the vehicle class code, but they only allow two digits, so three digit codes can not be done.
The prefix available is SE.
Up to five digits for the identification number, so you can do two numbers, a dash, and two numbers, or two numbers, a space, and two numbers, for an authentic looking plate.
The number font is narrow like the real plates.
Embossed aluminum and not drilled, so can be drilled for US or Japanese bolt spacing.
$35 per plate.

LicensePlates.TV
http://www.licenseplates.tv/cat/japan_l ... lates.html
Standardized plates available with Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Kanagawa, Kobe, Nagano, Saitama, Sapporo, and Tokyo. Only two character kanji for the prefecture name, though some prefectures actually use three kanji characters on their plates. Several different plate and lettering colors (motorcycle too.)
Choose up to three digits for the vehicle class code.
No choice of prefix, determined by the standardized set matched with each prefecture.
Choose up to six digits for the identification number. So you can get the two numbers, dash, and two numbers, or two numbers, space, and two numbers.
The number font doesn;t look right, too wide in the example pictures. But that might be just in the example photos.
Embossed aluminum but pre drilled for US bolt spacing.
$70 each.

And a fully custom reproduction option from LicensePlates.TV
http://www.licenseplates.tv/replicate_a_plate.php
You supply a picture and dimensions. A photo of a real plate, or draw a plate with the prefecture name, vehicle class code, prefix, and identification number you want.
Reasonably sure the font matches your drawing or photo and either drilled per your instructions or tell them not to drill it.
Starts at $100 per plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:27 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Yep, Ebay. That's where I got mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:11 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Stationwagonguy wrote:

Yep, Ebay. That's where I got mine.
your plate is upside down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:28 am 

JT191 - Good info on the places that make plates! Thanks for posting.

I got a pair of my plates from a buddy in Japan and then my other one from Ebay from the guy who sells the real ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:42 am 
JNC Fanatic

bajasoobnut wrote:

Lol, I'm aware. 1970 Chrysler bumper only mounts plates using the bottom holes, legit vintage Japanese plate only has top holes. I threw it on there for shits and giggles when I got it, it created such a stir I just left it on like that. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:51 am 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
bajasoobnut wrote:

Lol, I'm aware. 1970 Chrysler bumper only mounts plates using the bottom holes, legit vintage Japanese plate only has top holes. I threw it on there for shits and giggles when I got it, it created such a stir I just left it on like that. :lol:

Where did you come up with a Chrysler that has bottom plate mounting holes that are 210 mm apart (Japanese plate bolt spacing), instead of the US market 178 mm apart?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:27 pm 
JNC Fanatic

JT191 wrote:
Stationwagonguy wrote:
bajasoobnut wrote:

Where did you come up with a Chrysler that has bottom plate mounting holes that are 210 mm apart (Japanese plate bolt spacing), instead of the US market 178 mm apart?

Umm... I've had to Japanese plates that both have the same mounting and spacing as a normal US plate? :shrug: The plate on the car is from a US military member's car when he was stationed in Japan in 1969, so I'm *pretty* certain it's not a fake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:33 pm 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
Umm... I've had to Japanese plates that both have the same mounting and spacing as a normal US plate? :shrug: The plate on the car is from a US military member's car when he was stationed in Japan in 1969, so I'm *pretty* certain it's not a fake.

OK, that explains the Roman letter M, and the bolt spacing.

The two wrong had drive cars I have both have the plate mount holes set at 210 mm, too wide for US plates. The newer one lacks the 5 MPH bumper reinforcement beams, and the US market license plate brackets will not fit the car. The older one was never sold here anyway and the holes are drilled into the chrome bumper. Ingenious adapter brackets are called for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:41 pm 

JT191 wrote:
Ingenious adapter brackets are called for.

Hit up Derux on here. He has the coolest adapter brackets I've ever seen. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:58 am 
JNC Fanatic

JT191 wrote:

OK, that explains the Roman letter M, and the bolt spacing.

The two wrong had drive cars I have both have the plate mount holes set at 210 mm, too wide for US plates. The newer one lacks the 5 MPH bumper reinforcement beams, and the US market license plate brackets will not fit the car. The older one was never sold here anyway and the holes are drilled into the chrome bumper. Ingenious adapter brackets are called for.

I dug out and checked my other Japanese plate- you're right, has funky bolt spacing. I got it from a friend who had it on numerous old Hondas, and most recently an '86 Cutlass, and I guess I have to ask him how he mounted it. It's a real one, but it's been poorly repainted and somewhat mangled. :shrug:

I really have no idea what sort of car my M plate was originally mounted to though, so I have no explanation for the bolt spacing besides yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:05 pm 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
I really have no idea what sort of car my M plate was originally mounted to though, so I have no explanation for the bolt spacing besides yours.

My guess would be that an American serviceman took an American car to Japan, and they issued him the M plate with the narrower spacing.

It's probably more valuable than the regular plates with the wider spacing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:35 pm 

@Stationwagonguy - I like the upside-down plate! :tu: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:11 pm 
JNC Fanatic

JunRaymond wrote:
@Stationwagonguy - I like the upside-down plate! :tu: :mrgreen:

Haha, thanks. I've always loved your Lancer, BTW. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:04 pm 

...I sort of do want a J-plate, place at the mall sells a reasonable looking facsimile, but has "AE86" pre-inscribed... :lol:

Really probably would just attract negative attention... I already am pushing it by not running a front at all, but at least that doesn't inspire inquiry from the "Bro" crowd.

Works on the Chrysler :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]