#
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:43 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 7   [ 132 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:49 pm 

shane_lxi wrote:
Most of the people who have it together enough to truly be into nostalgic jtin have it together enough to... actually drive responsibly and skillfully.

x2 8)

But I do make it a point to only drift in places without concrete walls. Worst I've ever had is a cone mark on a quarter panel. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:02 pm 
JNC Fanatic

As much as I dislike what's been done to that AE86... I have a feeling a lot of people are jumping to conclusions that it was in awesome shape BEFORE this happened, and I'm betting it probably wasn't.

I also know a lot of local drifters and only have, in the past 3 years of photographing local drift events, seen any sort of damage occur to a car. One kid plowed his S13 right into a dirt mound by understeering right off the track because he couldn't drive (and actually was not supposed to have been allowed on the track), and another dude with an already haggard AE86 who is actually pretty good kissed the wall sideways and still followed through. Quarter got dented a bit, part of the fiberglass bumper got ripped off, and the taillight lense cracked. Sucks, but he shrugged and went on with life.

At these events, S13s are the norm, followed by S14s, FCs, the same handful of AE86s, and every once in awhile an FB appears. Some Z31s have shown up, a Z32 once, and there is a turbo S30 that's a solid 20 footer. And the one guy with the purpose built '81 Malibu 4-door with a Muncie 4-speed and a 383 who goes to town on everyone. :lol:

Point is, it's rare someone injures their cars at these events. Out of that group, more people have lost their cars to random car accidents than anything that's happened on a racetrack. And usually the accident cars just end up being drifted harder after some repairs. :lol:

Hell, there's stuff on my E-van held up with zipties. :lol:

I will say, nothing like that seafoam, purposefully haggard AE86 has ever appeared at an event around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:43 pm 

OkieRA29 wrote:
VDO, if you want to rock 15 steel wheels that look stock, look for spare tires out of the MX73 cressida...

Thanks for the tip but the whitewall selection on 15s are too tall for the Celica (not to mention expensive). Besides nobody wants the 13 inch variety and being a budget build, I got these for freeeee!

shane_lxi wrote:
Reminds me of my friend Pat's old '69 pl521 :D

Nice truck! Wide whites even sweeter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:18 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Whitewall tire sizes shouldnt be an issue. The truck in the picture is running 185 60 14"s with 2" port-o-walls. They're like a whitewall add on that wedges in between the bead of the tire and the seat on the wheel. About $40 a set, and available from 1"-3" for 10"-16" wheels, even redlines! Pretty sick. You can find them on ebay sometimes, or you can get them from mooneyes also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:04 am 

TSiSS350 wrote:
shane_lxi wrote:
Haha, says the guy with a dirt rally avatar :P. Show me a motor sport that isnt reckless or hard on a car. To deny these classic machines make great track cars is irresponsible in itself. I think it's great to see a nostalgic getting tracked personally. A track car is it's own kind of show car, and there's a place in drifting for new cars as well as old.

Haha, nice call....... BUT, that is a true beater, a $200 special with a slight tweak in the subframe and rust in the quarters.

I do agree that it is great to see nostalgics out mixing it up in vintage racing, I even traveled to Atlanta a few years back for the Mitty when it featured vintage j-tin. I guess I am a bit of a traditionalist and maybe that clouds my views on drifting, but it seems to me to be the motorsport with the highest attrition rates. Most coverage you see shows an 86, or a 240sx/silvia backed into a wall. I am willing to bet that more vintage cars have been wadded up drifting in the past year then have been in the past ten years of Vintage racing.
Or maybe it is just me, and I don't get the sport of drifting. :mrgreen:

I'm kinda with you on this one. Though I would love to see some classic JDM tins get tossed sideways and melt some tire but, just not mine. lol. I have too much respect and money invested in my car to carelessly throw it sideways into a corner. It's just not worth it to me. I'm also more into grip driving so I may also be a bit biased. But hey, if you want to slide your classic, go for it. I'll still cheer for you! Myself, I'll stick to the grip and the love I feel when driving spiritedly.
:tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:48 pm 

You should send this to a car magazine, the topic seems controversial enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:31 am 
JNC Enthusiast

longboy wrote:

:shock:

Hmmm, last time I checked JNC was a car magazine :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:40 pm 

toyotageek wrote:
longboy wrote:

:shock:

Hmmm, last time I checked JNC was a car magazine :lol:

hahahahahah :lol: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:09 pm 

Posted by the owner/builder of the car

Quote:
oh man All this DRAMA for fun stuff

Dear Haters,

purposely done, ugly,assuming,judging, hating etc etc ..You guys make me Blush thats little kid 20 yr old car hating ***

Since you guys dont KNOW ME and dont know how long Ive been driving my 86 and how many times ive crashed and nearly died and start basically moaning like a b-tch about it on whats right and wrong about cars and Japan is this and that

heres a pic of #1 RIP 2002- 2007

A: fell of GMR plus 110ft 5 rolls and I still fixed it in a week to run

B. smashed on 10-20 plus curbs and guard rails due to yes drifting in the streets

C. freeway spinout at 80 ..

D. front end damage due to touge accident

E. bent frame,bent roof, bent rad support, bent LCA;s, bent wheels,bent panhard,bent axle,

all street driving/drifting accidents

all because of driving RIGHT?..and this is my #2 ^ because the po's are at large at all the spots at 2009..creativity is FUN and driving is FUN

Open your mind ..instead of assuming and hating ..GROW

btw dont compare me to another car/driver from Japan as an example ..

I think you guys jumped to a conclusion way too fast to form an opinion. That wasn't a mint car that was hacked up to look like a bent up drifter. It has a long and legit drifting history and it was basically "restored" to look the way it does now.

I personally think the car is awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:02 pm 

88TSI_Rob wrote:
Posted by the owner/builder of the car

Quote:
I think you guys jumped to a conclusion way too fast to form an opinion. That wasn't a mint car that was hacked up to look like a bent up drifter. It has a long and legit drifting history and it was basically "restored" to look the way it does now.

Not to sound stubborn but I still feel the same way. Even if the car had battle scars is there really any need to rivet scrap metal everywhere and glue on grotesque side skirts? Again, my anger isn't so much aimed at the owner, I wouldn't really give it a second look at an event. My issue is about how much praise and coverage the car is getting for looking like trash. It's a just a matter of time before others follow and make a world of mess. :td:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:03 pm 

First post, ohhhh noes I shouldn't jump into a flame war...

To draw a hyperbolic comparison, it's like when Phil Spector (the music producer/murderer) bought an extremely rare Shelby Daytona Coupe (the infamous CSX2287). He then proceeded to have the car's racing history crudely lettered onto the virgin paint.

The usual arguments still apply here. It was his car. The car had a racing history to begin with; what's wrong with adding something to it? But in the eyes of most people who saw it, the lettering just wasn't an apt tribute to the car's history. It was, instead, a painful destruction of its originality; a cheap bastardization of that racing history.

Whenever something in the automotive scene becomes a trend, it becomes ripe for people to turn it on its head and, perhaps, miss the point. In the year or two since it began, 24 Hours of Lemons has turned from a goofy weekend of flogging $500 beaters to a full-fledged racing series with people trying as hard as possible to make $10,000 race cars look like $500 beaters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:11 am 

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:40 pm Post subject:
toyotageek wrote:
longboy wrote:

Shocked

Hmmm, last time I checked JNC was a car magazine Laughing

hahahahahah Laughing Rolling Eyes

LOL, you got me there...
ok let me rephrase, you should get this published in a car magazine. I think most Jnc'ers are against this movement anyway, so theres probably no point to put it in JNC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:24 am 
JNC Enthusiast

longboy wrote:

longboy wrote:

toyotageek wrote:
Hmmm, last time I checked JNC was a car magazine

hahahahahah

LOL, you got me there...
ok let me rephrase, you should get this published in a car magazine. I think most Jnc'ers are against this movement anyway, so theres probably no point to put it in JNC

Actually it might make for an interesting regular feature... "What were they thinking?" :lol:

Sr-FairladyZ wrote:
88TSI_Rob wrote:
Posted by the owner/builder of the car:

Not to sound stubborn but I still feel the same way. Even if the car had battle scars is there really any need to rivet scrap metal everywhere and glue on grotesque side skirts? Again, my anger isn't so much aimed at the owner, I wouldn't really give it a second look at an event. My issue is about how much praise and coverage the car is getting for looking like trash. It's a just a matter of time before others follow and make a world of mess. :td:

Exactly. It's not THE driver that is at issue, it is THE car (and the horrible cosmetic surgery that has been applied to it). Plenty of other guys have the same experiences and I don't see them doing the same thing to their cars. But those that do will ellicit the same response from me... :td:

Quote:
oh man All this DRAMA for fun stuff

Dear Haters,

purposely done, ugly,assuming,judging, hating etc etc ..You guys make me Blush thats little kid 20 yr old car hating ***

Since you guys dont KNOW ME and dont know how long Ive been driving my 86 and how many times ive crashed and nearly died and start basically moaning like a b-tch about it on whats right and wrong about cars and Japan is this and that

A: fell of GMR plus 110ft 5 rolls and I still fixed it in a week to run
B. smashed on 10-20 plus curbs and guard rails due to yes drifting in the streets
C. freeway spinout at 80 ..
D. front end damage due to touge accident
E. bent frame,bent roof, bent rad support, bent LCA;s, bent wheels,bent panhard,bent axle,
all street driving/drifting accidents

all because of driving RIGHT?..and this is my #2 ^ because the po's are at large at all the spots at 2009..creativity is FUN and driving is FUN

Open your mind ..instead of assuming and hating ..GROW

btw dont compare me to another car/driver from Japan as an example ..

Just because people speak their opinions, is no reason to label them 'haters' ... :roll: ...I love it when, because someone disagrees with something, they are automatically labeled a hater. Freedom of speech people, freedom of speech.

Ah yes, and the age old "You guys don't KNOW ME"...

Anyway, don't hate me just because I'm beautiful :lol: ...I mean, because I speak my opinion :P .

Regarding point A through E - and, these are things to be proud of? :roll:
I thought the art of drifting was NOT to crash into things...? Thus showing skill and control over your vehicle.

'tis the owner/builder (builder?) of the car that needs to GROW.
Grow up and learn to take a little criticism. Cuz when you do something like that to a car, there's bound to be some criticism.

Dang, I knew I should have taken my friends advice... oh well, to paraphrase, I guess I have... "opened my mouth and removed all doubt that I'm an idiot" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:16 am 

I think what were they thinking or something similar would be a great idea

http://www.myspace.com/abandonaugust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:00 am 

zukiru wrote:

Eh? Are you responding in the correct thread? If so, please elaborate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:05 am 
JNC Fanatic

I figured it wasn't a nice car before he started, I just think a lot of what he did was senseless and tacky. I don't even mind the roof spoiler as much as I do the stupid trunk lid one, reminds me of all the poser-pro streeters from the '90s, and the teal color doesn't help either.

Nothing is worse than old cars painted in pastel shades with painted chrome, billet wheels, giant scoops, no exhaust, and tacked on back wings. :vomit:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:37 am 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
Nothing is worse than old cars painted in pastel shades with painted chrome, billet wheels, giant scoops, no exhaust, and tacked on back wings. :vomit:

It's ironic that the whole "rat rod" scene began in response to that sort of thing.

I get a bit of a smile from seeing old cars done in that eighties look now, since it's become "vintage" in its own right and a lot less common since my days riding by bike down to the beach to check out the car shows as a little kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:54 pm 

Sr-FairladyZ wrote:
zukiru wrote:

you need to read the above post...

I think a ?what were they thinking?" feature in JNC would be cool.

http://www.myspace.com/abandonaugust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:31 pm 

zukiru wrote:
Sr-FairladyZ wrote:
zukiru wrote:

you need to read the above post...

I think a ?what were they thinking?" feature in JNC would be cool.

AHhhh I Gotcha, but I wouldn't expect an "up and coming" magazine to risk narrowing it's fan base by featuring such a controversial article. I <3 JNC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:27 pm 
Administrator

You guys won't see a "What were they thinking?" section in JNC any time soon simply because there are so many cool cars out there that we're struggling to cram them all into the mag as it is, which is a great thing for the nostalgic car movement!

If we had the space, I can't see us singling out some poor kid's car to tear apart, whether it's deserving of ridicule or not.

But having said that, if I could take my editor's hat off for a minute... whether the car was clean or jacked up to begin with, I don't care for the look. I wouldn't be surprised if the purpose of the car was to rile people like me up.

And as with Phil Spector... why is it that we know intuitively that his Cobra Coupe crossed a certain tackiness threshold? It's not a hard and fast rule, but you know it when you see it. You just can't teach/buy/instill taste. :P

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 7   [ 132 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next