#
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:36 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Where is the JNC Nengajou?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:02 pm 

年賀状
Nengajou

Japanese New Year's Card.

http://www.city.gotsu.lg.jp/155.html

"Nengajyo , or New Year's cards, is an important tradition in Japan. Even people who hardly ever send letters make an effort to send out New Year's cards. Some of the more fanatic people are known to send out over 100 cards during the holidays. Like Christmas cards in America, cards are sent out to family, friends, and acquaintances."

For ethnically Japanese car enthusiasts, these are usually a recent photo of your pride-and-joy in postcard form with a caption or text wishing the recipient a Happy New Year, good health, prosperity, etc.

Any chance the site moderators participate in this tradition? Not asking for a postcard, but a scanned image on the website would be appropriate and appreciated (meaning admired in awe at the utter coolness).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:30 pm 

I drive Japanese cars. That doesn't mean that I'm into the Japanese culture any more or less than I'm into any other culture outside of the one I'm a part of. Doesn't mean I'm not interested just that I'm not a part of that culture and don't really desire to partake in it's traditions.

1978 Datsun 280Z-Sold 5/28/2009

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:57 pm 

810-again wrote:
I drive Japanese cars. That doesn't mean that I'm into the Japanese culture any more or less than I'm into any other culture...

What you say is valid.

I began studying the Japanese language in order to deal with the resources written in Japanese, and then to communicate with the enthusiasts and experts from the country that made the cars I work on.
My studies of Japanese began as the demographic of Japanese language class students transitioned from business majors to anime fans. The teachers had not yet abandoned covering topics of etiquette and tradition in dealing with Japanese business contacts, in favor of teaching the current cartoon slang.

In dealing with Japanese car enthusiasts, I have learned that it is very important to understand and participate in the codified Japanese cultural system of bribes and kickbacks. "Giri" and "On", obligation and owing a favor. Understanding that no one does a favor unless they think you are in the position to repay a favor. Building social debt and using the system to advantage.

These things are just as beneficial for getting a ride around Suzuka Circuit or press passes to Fuji Speedway as they are in arranging for the purchase and freight of a set of Watanabe racing wheels, or JDM factory option Recaro racing seats from Yahoo Japan Auctions or Up Garage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:23 am 

I'm glad you understand what I was trying to say. Some would have taken that as a knock on the culture and I didn't mean that at all. Your points are also valid. I'm obviously not as deeply involved in the Japanese car scene as you. I don't have much interest in purchasing things like 'Watanabe racing wheels, or JDM factory option Recaro racing seats'. My vehicles are basically stock. The only parts I've ever purchased directly from outside the US came from Australia. I'm interested in all cultures because we all have some kind of contact with the multi cultured aspect of this world on a daily basis. My neighbor on is Vitenamese. I'm a second generation Black American whose parents are from Guyana (formely British Guyana, located in South America). My neighbor on the other side is Hispanic. One of the guys I go to the computer show with every two months is from India. One of my brothers in law is Hispanic as is my nephew (in law married to my niece). My youngest niece is dating a guy from France. There are caucasians in my extended family.

1978 Datsun 280Z-Sold 5/28/2009

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:48 pm 
Administrator

This is a great idea! We would have put more time into something like this if this holiday season wasn't so rough for us. We're working hard on Issue 3 and it's not easy when the whole car industry is in meltdown. A lot of companies are cutting off advertising and to top it all off Dan and I lost a family member on Christmas Eve. We'll definitely do this next year though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:22 pm 

ben wrote:
We'll definitely do this next year though!

It's next year. Well, it's almost next year, and about the time to think evil things about the people who mailed their Christmas cards on December 1st, and we are receiving them, while we scramble to get current addresses for everyone, and hope to mail our cards by the day after Christmas.

But if you are mailing a New Years card, it's not supposed to get there before New Years Day anyway, so you have a solid excuse for procrastinating and taking advantage of no lines at the Post Office the day after Christmas, while everyone else is at the store standing in line to exchange their gifts.

So, what will the Heisei 22 JNC Nengajou look like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:07 pm 

Anyone who was thinking "I'll do that next year", well, it's time to get serious.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]