Manifold ports 1 and 4 are now filled, the client also asked me if I could supply him with a power brake port, as well as ports for an ignition MAP signal.
the JB Weld is in... BUT.... because the JB Weld is a paste, it doesn't want to cooperate in providing me the shape I want... so I'm stuck using a form
to help keep the shape
So the form would release, I used wax paper between the form, and the JB Weld, it worked pretty well, releasing, but it caused a few issues as well. The biggest issue is although wrapped tightly around the form, when inserted the wax paper wrinkled and left a less-than desirable surface
This is port 4, and although the wax paper left a less than desirable surface, I contributed a bit to the problem by under filling this port, not by a lot mind you - 1/4-1/2 a teaspoon.... but by under filling I got the surface flaws seen.
For a better example, port #1 was a better fill...
still wax paper flaws, but with more fill, the flaws were easier to blend away.
I was a bit disappointed... until I let perspective show me MY mountain (flaws), was really no more then a molehill... if that.
Perspective... yes, this is just a larger view of the 2nd photo in this post, but look at the center 2 ports... the casting lines are far more significant then the "flaws" left by me....
Now as to the vacuum... my client asked me to supply him with a port for his brake booster, and ports for his ignition MAP. I utilized the delete plate to carry all of these vacuum ports.
Initially I thought I'd tap the port floors for vacuum, and then I remembered this was a carbureted engine and thought better of having the ports in the floor(gasoline environment), so I put them in the delete plate roof instead.
Typically (largeport) the power brake vacuum is pulled off a plenum. No plenum like that with carbs. The smallport applications tap off the #4 intake runner, and that is what I did, but I did this one a bit differently.
I decided on going in from the side based on advice given to me by someone who has researched carb type 4AGs more than I. His reasoning was it allowed for the brake booster port to NOT interfere with linkage, or other hardware associated with carb installations.
The taper drilling is an attempt to minimize any air flow disturbance
I'm just waiting on the valve springs so I can begin re-assembly, and then set cam-valve clearances......
More to come....