#
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:33 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: In the memory of Arthur (about a original 510)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:03 am 

I wanted to post this here, since its a amazingly written piece about the original owner of my preserved 72 510, and someone i respected more than anyone in this world, that would happily call my grandfather even though we were only related through our love for Datsun 510's. I hope people enjoy the read, it shows the dedication that one man had with the car he loved, and my promise to maintain it to the standards he did. She is not a trailer queen, she is driven, and proves the fact that a car can be preserved, be SHOWN, and yet STILL be driven and enjoyed as a car, not a paper weight. The man was amazing, he fought in korea, and every year in downtown Vancouver BC he would stand on the street corner selling poppies for charity in his uniform. Just a one of a kind man.
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/rememb ... n-510.html

Post subject: Re: In the memory of Arthur (about a original 510)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:45 pm 

Beautiful car...

I would still make a few, reversible, tasteful mods though.

For instance, I am the original owner of my IS300. I installed the L-Tuned catback (sounds and looks nice)and had the windows tinted. I plan to lower it about an inch with Eibach springs and Tokicos. Get aftermarket wheels and slightly wider tires. And that's it.

I think most (all?) Japanese cars, and maybe all cars, just beg for a little personalization.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:29 pm 

Car is so mint.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:30 pm 

Great car & Great article... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:05 pm 

Yah bu tthe problem is you modanything, then its not like when she came off the showroom floor, which is the it factor with this car. Shes just like you walked into the dealership, and bought her. But she does have better newer adjustable front struts on her for a nicer ride. And the old struts were shot to hell and good luck finding stock struts anymroe. Stereo system i even use a jbl blue tooth speaker sitting on the console with my phone. Only real mods she gets is stickers from the events i go to.

And thats the thing on it to, shes 99.5% original, only thigns not original are the struts, and the alternator. Why i love saying shes preserved, and not restored. Anyone can modify a car, anyone can restore a car, but its harder to preserve a car, because you want to change thigns, it takes more restraint to not and maintain it in its original condition. And its nearly impossible nowadays to find cars this age to preserve unless they were already preserved, i got lucky with mine.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:20 am 

Im sure you can find the struts if you look hard enough.
Try doing a nationwide search with Nissan using microfiche to get the part numbers.
If you want, I can ask and old Nissan dealer here in Canada to do a nationwide search. Who know maybe some dealer has old stock left !!

Also, try craigslist wanted ad. You nebver know someone might have hoarded some old datsun parts !

http://www.datsunparts.com/New-Old-Stock-Parts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:29 am 

I've seen this car in person. Refreshing sight in the sea of modded/ratted Datsuns.

-Robert

My Build/Pic thread

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:07 pm 

Yah parts are nla, we know, weve searched, my dads even bought out 6 dealers worth of old stock over the years, have people in the parts departments that have searched, and gotten some rare shit over the years that were nla that popped back up for short times. Trust me know what im doing more than most do, specially with our family and finding parts lol.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:07 am 

Great story. No need to make any changes if you don't want to - it's your car after all............. :tu:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]