#
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Tokyo / Shikoku trip
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:01 am 

I had the chance to spend a couple of weeks in Japan, got back a week ago. I thought I'd post a few pics, although I'm nothing like as good as Neko-san at documenting my travels.

The smooth Century oozes around central Tokyo. A government minister, or Yakuza?

Tokyo police, fighting crime while caring for the environment

Obligatory random shot from the Wadakura fountain park just outside the Imperial Palace

The Skytree, dominating the cityscape

View from the Skytree showing the rivers of traffic that flow through Tokyo

I also had a chance to attend the D1GP in Odaiba. Was good to see that this event still draws a crowd, I'd slightly feared that it might be a fad whose time had passed, but there were still a good number of people there.
This didn't end well

Technically a JNC ;-)

Lone Hachiroku in a sea of S-bodies, running crazy scrub radius up front. Sadly didn't have the oomph to drift with the big boys.

The other S13, which won the event, hassling the 'smoke machine' Chaser.

We also had a chance to visit Shikoku. This was inspired by a mention (possibly here?) of Alex Kerr's book Lost Japan, aka 'Last Glimpse of Beautiful Japan'. He's an American who travelled to the secluded Iya valley, fell in love with the area, and bought a traditional thatched house, which he then fell into huge debt to get re-thatched. Iya isn't even like the rest of Japan, the land isn't suitable for rice farming and it's always maintained a distinct culture.
'Kouyou', Autumn leaves

Hold on tight! These suspension bridges were traditionally made of vines woven together, ready to be cut to prevent one's enemies following across the steep river gorge. (Nowadays steel cables are incorporated to better support visiting tourists).

For conveying goods, this 'monkey' cabin can be used. You sit in it and pull on the rope to cross the river. Perhaps surprisingly, it's less scary than walking over a vine bridge.

Shikoku is separated from Honshu (the main island) by the Seto inland sea. However there are various chains of islands between, which have now been linked up by huge bridges to bring the expressway to Shikoku. (There are three routes across).

Alex Kerr's house, now maintained by the Chiiori Trust

The open-air onsen at our hotel

A more famous onsen, this one was the basis for the bathhouse in Spirited Away (Sen to Chihiro).

Post subject: Re: Tokyo / Shikoku trip
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:40 am 

Also picked up these two:

Quite a few good photos and diagrams, although as ever, most of the meaning remains beyond me ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:52 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Great stuff!

That's my office lower right corner! Next time, call in and I'll buy you the greatest tori-jyu... Shikoku is indeed gorgeous so much to see, and so different from the rest of Japan. An onsen after a busy day exploring has to be one of my greatest pleasures. That's a great ofuro you had there!

Curiously, I also picked up this edition today. Turn to page 87 (and 86 if you've got a microscope as well as a magnifying glass) for the Neko-mobile. See ya! Neko.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:44 pm 

Cool! I'll be back in Japan in 2014, I'll definitely get in touch when I'm coming over and take you up on that offer :-)

Wow - I couldn't believe it when I turned to page 87 to see a familiar coupe! Good stuff getting into NH, well deserved too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:27 am 

Cool photos!! Especially of the less seen places of Japan. What kind of car did you get to ride around in??

-Robert

My Build/Pic thread

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]