#
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Importing JDM car from Canada to the US? CDM vs JDM?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:57 am 

So on another forum (GRM) I was told that importing a car from Canada that is JDM is not the same as importing a CDM car. As in I couldn't just go to the customs broker, get documentation filled out, and cross the border as easily. I figure people here have experience with this?

Also i'm wondering what you do if a car has not been registered back and you need to drive it back and across the border? Only time I did a long distance drive after purchasing a car was when I bought one at a dealer and had a temp plate.

I'm not looking to import a car from Japan but one that is already previously registered in Canada.

Car is an R32 so it's not a model that was ever sold in CDM as well and I will be bringing it over once the manufacture date makes it legal.

Thanks

edit: State I live in is Nevada.

Post subject: Re: Importing JDM car from Canada to the US? CDM vs JDM?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:14 pm 

Kanaric wrote:
So on another forum (GRM) I was told that importing a car from Canada that is JDM is not the same as importing a CDM car. As in I couldn't just go to the customs broker, get documentation filled out, and cross the border as easily. I figure people here have experience with this?

Car is an R32 so it's not a model that was ever sold in CDM as well and I will be bringing it over once the manufacture date makes it legal.

It will be a little more complicated than just importing a CDM car, but once it's over 25 years old it isn't too tough. I assume that's your plan?

Try clicking this link:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/VIG_Canada06182012.pdf

It will tell you all you need to do.

Post subject: Re: Importing JDM car from Canada to the US? CDM vs JDM?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:51 am 

john wrote:
Kanaric wrote:

It will be a little more complicated than just importing a CDM car, but once it's over 25 years old it isn't too tough. I assume that's your plan?

Try clicking this link:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/VIG_Canada06182012.pdf

It will tell you all you need to do.

Decided to use an importer instead when i saw how reasonable it was. I thought it was going to be prohibitively expensive.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]