#
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:57 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Going to Japan to buy an old skyline...
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:59 am 

I'll also add out of fairness, that just because an American seller gives you a treasure trove of information about a car he's selling does not automatically mean that the information provided is in any way accurate. In all cases, it's up to the buyer to determine as much truth as can be found through a thorough inspection of the vehicle and any accompanying documents.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:06 am 

xs10shl wrote:
This is as good a reason as any to produce the definitive coffee table book about the early Skylines, similar to Shin Yoshikawa's 2000GT book. I'm thinking chapters on Prince, the Nissan merger, design and development, racing, etc, with archival pictures to help bring the real story to a new English-speaking audience.

Are you volunteering...? :twisted: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:24 pm 

HS30-H wrote:
xs10shl wrote:
This is as good a reason as any to produce the definitive coffee table book about the early Skylines, similar to Shin Yoshikawa's 2000GT book. I'm thinking chapters on Prince, the Nissan merger, design and development, racing, etc, with archival pictures to help bring the real story to a new English-speaking audience.

Are you volunteering...? :twisted: :wink:

I need the help of an expert on the model. Someone who has the knowledge, data, archival information, and contacts in Japan to make it work . . .and speaks the Queen's English to boot. But where am I to find such an individual? Who could fit that bill? (beating hand on forehead in deep thought) Who, who, who?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:51 pm 

Queen's English I can do. Everything else, no. Big subject.

I think I'd prefer to do the definitive S30-series Z book first anyway. Still another 1000 years of research to go on that one......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:27 pm 

Personally, I see the hunt for information to be the entrance exam for Skyline ownership :)

I mean...all the info is there, all you have to do is spend a few evenings browsing JNC threads, maybe you start a thread to ask questions, or you PM someone who seems knowledgeable. Maybe you also go the extra mile and order books in Japanese (if only to look at the pretty pictures) or take a holiday to Japan to take in a car show. I will shake the hand of anyone who does all this and happily welcome them to the owner's club :D

On the other hand...the guys that appear and say "gimme the cliffs on buying a Hako in 25 words or less, or send me the link to a Hakosuka FAQ...I want to build a V12 S20, with R35 GTR running gear."

...well in my opinion I would rather these ppl go and buy some other kind of car :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:14 am 

Wow! I think this is the best response I've ever had on a forum. Thank you for all the good advise. This would be my first trip to Japan but its where my wife is from and we have alot of family scattered about the country. I've been talking with some uncles and cousins about the idea and the say pretty much the same as you guys. I think I'll just keep gathering info and talk to JDM Legends and see what I can work out. I still really want to go my self but I know I would for sure need some help. Maybe ill just become a broker and import a whole bunch and sell some.... :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:50 am 
JNC Fanatic

unregistered cars are always cheaper. I just imported 4, I cans ee wanting to personally inspect the cars nas dealers are very good at hiding rust. Found that out the hard way, but im still happy with my buys.

I went through sastrad kk and cant really complain, held some of my cars for almost 2 years. Onlything I got screwed on was a set of wheels they used for dunnage when loading my cars onto the container were no listed under the manifest. Got nailed for that, but I guess on the other side, I did get a free pair of 16x8 grahm lights lol. Best dunage I've ever had.

All I have to say is take your time and watch.

Yahoo japan auctions is also a good source for private unregistered and registered cars

87 Montero swb turbo, 1987 Minicab van Supercharged
86 mighty max 4x4
84, 85, and 86 lancer ex1800 turbo
78 lancer
73 galant coupe
65 Debonair Deluxe
80's Hero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:27 am 

It sounds like going to Japan is the best way to get a japanese car. I have been talking to several agents and it is very difficult to find a dealer that sells classic cars to exporters. They are telling the agents that I have been talking to that they want the car to stay in japan. -______-
Also i have noticed exporters are wanting to add a good 3-5k to the price of the car to cover their existence.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:22 pm 

longlivekel wrote:
It sounds like going to Japan is the best way to get a japanese car. I have been talking to several agents and it is very difficult to find a dealer that sells classic cars to exporters. They are telling the agents that I have been talking to that they want the car to stay in japan. -______-
Also i have noticed exporters are wanting to add a good 3-5k to the price of the car to cover their existence.

It wouldn't be any easier to buy and export from within the country than from without. You still have to deal with the dealers who have the same attitudes. It's probably not so much that they want the cars to stay in Japan as it is a lack of desire to work with outsiders.

An importer will of course charge a fee for doing all the work, and even without them you still have to pay for a bunch of stuff, at least $3k by the time you get it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:37 am 

I guess I should chime in too…and I guess I'll be the bad guy... :twisted:

Here are some details in my story if you are interested:
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18482

The first thing I want to say is that I AM NOT discouraging anyone from going out to Japan and just "going for it" The trip alone will be amazing on any level and even if you don't t pick one up it will change your life!!! :mrgreen:

Here are some details that may be relevant…

I took me 3 months to find my car. Like I would any car that is of significant importance, you need to do/have the following:

Research: I bought tons of book/pubs/read articles (Old Timer, Nostalgic Car, Vintage Lightning Auto, etc) . I surfed the web (yahoo auctions, car sensor.net, goo net, dealer sites, etc) I had friends translate them to me. You need to know the lingo. You need to know what you are talking about. Sellers will get a "sense" if they want to sell to you or not. I basically got "interviewed" to see if they were willing to sell to me. Knowledge is only the foundation to own one of these, which leads me to...

Respect: Respect is still in my opinion VERY important to the Japanese. As mentioned from some of my fellow owners, learn some Japanese, it will go along way. But be humble, don't try to show off your Japanese, if anything at least learn common sayings, learn the lingo and some slang. The very fact that they see you trying helps a lot. You just can't go out there with a pocket full of cash and say "I want that". You've got to show a want, a desire. I went out to the locations multiple times (Flex, Help/Rubber Soul, Team S20, Garage Kutsumi) I spoke to owners, I made friends, I got my name/face out there, I tried to build a report with dealers/sellers. I wanted them to know I was serious, that I had a LOVE for the car, not just some kid jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just honest. I'm not even Japanese and I would never let my baby go just for cash. I know dealers are in the business to sell, but it's just a little different when it comes to "kyusha". I got REALLY lucky. Two G.I.'s that showed up in a drift car is not a great first impression. I drank the tea, I made them laugh, and I got them to trust me.

The last bit goes without saying: Cash…No checks, No credit, No money orders, No financing, No trades (unless you show up in another significant "kyusha" they may be interested in, plus cash)…Cash Only. To make matters worse the prices are going up every year, they will never go down. Like mentioned earlier, cars out in the rural areas are cheaper. I got mine out in the middle of the grasslands of Mt. Haruna. But they are harder to get to, harder to come by, and cost more money to get to. Just about every centimeter of freeway out there has a toll, and they aren't cheap, the longer the drive, the more expensive it is. Back in 2007 it was Y800 for the Shuto Expressway and Y600 for the Chuo Expressway, just to go to downtown Tokyo from Fussa, ONE WAY, and that was only 25 miles!!! That was when Y110 = $1, Now it's like Y89-Y93 to the dollar!!! Throw in Car rental fees, Gas, Parking (OMG!!!), Food, etc etc. for one day!!! I can't believe how much I spent just to look at one!!!

With that said…Get out there. You may just have the edge you need. Having family in Japan and a place to stay is a huge advantage. They could help you with communication, translation and directions. Now all you need is time, at least a month if you are hell bent on getting one and not too picky. If it doesn't work out, well you had a great trip, a ton of experience others will never have, and you have the local U.S. based brokers as a back up plan.

Good Luck! :tu:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2