#
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:36 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Tokyo S800M Coupe.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:14 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Camshaft wrote:
Good lord that is sexy as hell. Coolest S800 coupe I've ever seen, and I LOVE S800 coupes...get me some photos in desktop size, please... :P

Thanks! Packed up some books for my local second-hand shop and stopped along the way with a camera... Fickle only allows 1024 pixel as max size, but PM me if you're interested in any of these and I can email 1500 pixel versions. We've got a typhoon in-bound otherwise I'd be out there still trying to undo my pesky torsion bar adjusters as they are still frozen solid - the heat gun comes next. See ya! Neko.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8170/8038127329_88cd04afe1_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8035/8038132710_dcb98b8c41_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8171/8038181176_7ae9a82eee_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8319/8038133088_090f6ff034_b.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:08 am 

WOW... Your coupe is so nice!
I want mine to look this good :)

After wanting an S800 for years i finaly got one. Iv read though your thread and you clearly now what your talking about so I wanted ask you some questions about them, as I know very little about these cars yet.

Firstly when I turn the key in the ignition the fuel pump starts clicking.. Iv charged the battery (as it was flat when I picked the car up) and it still makes this noise.
I think the battery could be the wrong type as it looks to big, would this be the problem or is the fuel pump?
The car starts just about, but cuts out after.
Seams like not enuf fuel is getting though.

If you have any ideas it would be a great help.

Jon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:15 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Jsa26 wrote:
If you have any ideas it would be a great help.
Not sure I know what I am talking about, but I can try, but diagnosing over the internet is just as reliable as that sounds... To start, the size of your battery is not a problem, provided it is 12V of course. Second thing is the S-car uses a solenoid fuel-pump, so the clicking is normal, and they will normally click rapidly on 'ON', building pressure, then slow down clicking as the pressure reaches operating level.

That's about all I can say for reasonable certainty.

You may however still have a faulty fuel pump (not enough pressure, or clogged filter), blocked fuel lines, or the most like suggestion, carburetors dirty or out-of-adjustment. Fuel volume from pump can be checked, but I would make sure your carburetion was correct first. Jets, pumps, springs, air-volume - all that fun, complicated stuff. The S-car gets interesting too, as all four of course need to be well synched, otherwise you'll get problems too.

You may also have an ignition problem with either plugs or timing too though... Good luck! Neko.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:23 am 

That shows just how little I now, lol.
I'll clean the fuel pump/lines out then the carbs and see how that gos.

Thanks, Jon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:25 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Woo hoo. Larger images available... Concerted effort this weekend with some rust penetration on the torsion bar adjusters. Wish me luck. Neko.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:05 am 

beautiful pic. as usual. crossing fingers for adjustments!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:28 am 
JNC Enthusiast

^ Well, using some Waco Rasupene I managed to loosen the adjuster lock nuts, but was unable to roll the adjusters over to their lower settings. There must be some trick to getting the adjuster to roll over with the torsion bar still tensioned... More research necessary!

During the week though one rear brake shoe made some heavy grabbing noises, and knowing the locking pins and hold springs were a bit ratty I went to my local Honda shop and purchased a new set, or at least those from a Civic that a fellow S-car driver advised were essentially the same. Total cost 1200 yen.

The new hold springs are substantially thicker, and take at least two or three times the tension to secure the pins.

Since overhauling the rear pistons I also wanted to check for leaks or weeping, so it was good to see all the pistons, cups, and dust covers dry and covered in nothing more than a light coat of brake dust. A quick readjust of shoes and wheels back on for a run to Ginza for lunch. No squeaks, scrapes, or any strange brake noises with a nice hard pedal. Next job? Research on torsion bar adjusters and a few calls. Neko.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:57 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Apart from my lovely passenger complaining of fumes sometimes, the exhaust has been making some severe fluffing noises, especially loud on start-up. Inspection of the few possible places leaks could occur, quickly resolved the main tako from the head to the system inlet gasket.

After removal, you could see both how bad the leaks had been, and temp fix deployed previously with some caulk that had obviously entered the exhaust path, and since blown out on all four pipes.

With an able-fingered assistant we easily removed the old, and contemplating the use of shorter new bolts, realized the long stainless bolts used allowed easy pulling together of the flanges from the distance they naturally sat at when undone.

The new gasket - 2400 yen from Spread Tools - was a perfect fit, tightened up easily, fixed all leaks, and the car now runs smoother at idle, revs out a little better too. I suppose the exhaust tako will need painting or replacing one day.

We also replaced the ignition lead labels (paper previously), with 500 yen of clip-on ignition cable numbers.

Compared to the photograph on the bottom of page 3, the whole left side of the engine compartment is looking a whole lot tidier. The hot-wire to the points pending replacement with the Pertronix Ignitor next.

In putting the ignition leads back into the distributor cap, for some reason 1-4-3-2 was chosen over 1-2-3-4, resulting in only firing in sequence on two cylinders. It back fired badly for a test drive, before I realized it wasn't going to clear itself, and inspection saw the error of our feeble counting to four. Re-ordering the ignition leads, immediately fixed the problem. What an idiot. Friday night run to Azabu Juban for dinner presenting a nice photograph though...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:27 pm 

Do you know what sort of Civic those are for? Should work on almost any drum brake set-up and looks heaps easier to install than the old round spring/disc combo. :tu:

Think that number might translate to a US dealer?

Kuroneko wrote:
knowing the locking pins and hold springs were a bit ratty I went to my local Honda shop and purchased a new set, or at least those from a Civic that a fellow S-car driver advised were essentially the same. Total cost 1200 yen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:09 am 
JNC Enthusiast

john wrote:
Do you know what sort of Civic those are for?

1979, 1200 2DR MT
#20 45172-S04-003 - spring, shoe clamp - origin: JPN - 1.00
#21 45175-SA0-013 - pin, tensioner - origin: JPN - 2.42

I believe they are a universal part number, but could be wrong. Certainly easier to fit than the spring / disk / pin combination. Additionally, the parts man suggested the same pin / spring combination is also used on many rear drum Honda all the way to the 2013 Fit sitting behind us as we ordered...

A number of the other rear brake parts also look very S800-like, including the handbrake lever, boots, and retaining springs. The rear cylinders also have potential, though the most attractive interchangeable bit would be a rear disk conversion, or perhaps the rear shoe tensioner system. Good luck! Neko.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:59 pm 

Kuroneko wrote:
I believe they are a universal part number, but could be wrong. Certainly easier to fit than the spring / disk / pin combination. Additionally, the parts man suggested the same pin / spring combination is also used on many rear drum Honda all the way to the 2013 Fit sitting behind us as we ordered... Good luck! Neko.

Thanks! I'll swing by the Honda dealer tomorrow and see what they say. :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:54 am 
JNC Enthusiast

^ Hey John, any luck? I wish I had a Civic or two laying about, or a friend with one to work on my S-car with, as I am sure there's a lot more compatible parts too. Much like the Porsche / VW / Audi regime, I would assume Honda cars would carry many common parts.

Look at those old points. Its a wonder they were even running, let alone able to rev out to 8000 rpm. After a nice drive on Friday, with a new friend in town we decided to attack the Pertronix Ignitor installation.

We pulled the distributor, broke it down, and with it raining this afternoon I've spent the time cleaning the bits, lubricating, micro-scrubbing the rotor, and installing & gapping the Ignitor. There's no float in the shaft, the bearing is smooth, and all seals look well kept, so it should bolt up nicely. Without a strobe, I'll static time with a meter to the required 14 deg BTDC. Some advise a smidge more advance is good, so comment from other S-car drivers would be nice! Friday out by Fuji-san below, more here: http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16263&p=170467#p170467. Thanks. Neko.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:38 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Finished the installation of a Pertronix Ignitor and matching 3 Ohm Pertronix coil. Removed ballast resistor, and the starting relay (shorts ballast resistor for full voltage across old coil on start), and tidied up wiring, including rewiring temp gauge sender. As well as looking a lot tidier, the car now starts much easier hot or cold, settles down to an even idle when cold, revs out much smoother to high rpm, and feels much more stable across the whole range. The Ignitor being just as easy to time statically with a meter or light.

While my old ignition system was fully functional, and was timed right, it still coughed, hesitated sometimes on full throttle, and felt a little hesitant at high rpm. None of that now. A new distributor cap O-ring was also installed which would have removed a little float there, and a new silicon drain hose added to the distributor to replace the old one which snapped off because it had gone brittle.

I did not use a gasket, but again the Permatex RTV, and I am getting better at making a nice bead and a perfect seal:

I also got a set of these:

To go with these:

To do this:

So the new carpets do not float about under your feet any more:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Having washed and rinsed my old filter a few times, I was looking at a new one - over \20,000 in Japan. When you can get them. I was looking at remaking my old filter with new foam, or putting some socks on the intakes, but never seemed to find the right combination of stuff to kludge. Michael Ortmann Autoteileversand have started to remake filters for a remarkable \5500 shipped each. Bargain!

Coupled with the electronic ignition, the S-800 is now running so much smoother... I wonder why. Neko.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:48 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Looking good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:33 pm 

Mind if I ask how tall you are?

I'm 6'3" and when I drove one of these it took a very large effort just to get in it. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:37 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I am 186cm, which is close to 6 feets, and one half inch, and while I fit in with no problems I do get what my wife calls 'coupe hair', which is kind of like the usual 'helmet hair' I get from riding my Maxam to work every day - except instead of being round-headed, I am flat-topped. I would guess there's perhaps another few cm headroom, but that would be it. A roadster with a Yoshimura curved top provides a little more again, but the top of the windscreen is already cutting your vision. The Coupe has a taller screen...

The seat in my car is on the rearward holes, and looking at its construction - it sits on the floor, with the skinniest of rails - you could get another 15 ~ 20 mm by removing the rails and bolting straight to the floor. I would guess 6' 3" would be too tight, even with the seat on the floor. Even I had to change steering wheel to a smaller diameter so my legs had some room. Today though, with a good friend we put the car on the lift of an acquaintance, and attacked the front torsion bar adjusters. First, loosing tightening nut (after soaking for weeks in rust-pene):

Then, using a medium monkey-wrench, roll over the torsion bar adjusters to their lowest setting (H1). I had thought them set on H4, but they were on H3, so the aggregate lowering was less than expected.

Some had suggested the removal of the lower arm would be necessary, but after a few loosing taps they rolled over with a moderate two-handed effort. Note Prinz and Hako Skyline front grille on garage wall. The car is at least 50mm lower at the front than previous, so sits a lot better. Compared to another car though, which has had its torsion bars reset a notch or two, it still rides high. But, running 175s, over the other car's 165, I might need this extra to clear the wheel arches. Rear struts to be replaced at some stage, so I might yet reset the front torsion bars then too.

Driving home, we stopped at another garage to deliver some parts and had a good look over a 400R GT-R, and talking to the owner of two 2000GTs. Which he had sold of course a few years ago - at the time he said, 'Cheaper than a new Celica.' If only, we all mused.... He did however have a glorious garage stuffed with all sorts of other nice stuff (3x S800 to start), and walls covered in photographs of his past and friends' cars. I grabbed a phone shot of one 2000GT parked in the same place as my Coupe above.

Coming home on the expressway at 100km/h or so, the car sat nice, and felt a little less floaty at speed. Possibly my imagination though. While I was enjoying the sound of a yellow Lamborghini sitting next to me in traffic, another yellow Lamborghini passed going the other direction.

Excuse crappy telephone photographs. The last few weekends have seen a little sitting in traffic, and me missing some music. There's only so much blipping the throttle you can do for entertainment. So the existing, space-filling, speaker-less radio (top) is going to go. Replaced with an integral speaker, one piece unit with an MP3 player input (bottom), no need to take up luggage space or footwell space with speakers - the S800 is really that small. Hopefully, the plain black style will not clash too much with the rest of the period interior (and a 8cm mono speaker sound not too bad). I'll install an old aircraft manual-wind clock, and cigarette lighter to charge telephone navi at the same time. See ya! Neko.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:55 pm 

Wow! I'm in love with your S800M Coupe. I can only hope my S600 restoration turns out half as nice quality-wise as yours. I hope I can source a set of Hayashis or Watanabes for my car in the near future. Keep your lovely pics coming!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:20 am 

i love your car, but dear lord that light silver blue is absolutely stunning to me. i would take either one...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:58 am 
JNC Enthusiast

medicalstudent wrote:
I hope I can source a set of Hayashis or Watanabes for my car in the near future.
Period Hayashi might be hard to source (set earlier in this thread aside perhaps), but new Watanabe should be able to be ordered. Just make sure you can get the right 10x1.5 Watanabe style nuts at the same time if possible.

e-at_me wrote:
i love your car, but dear lord that light silver blue is absolutely stunning to me. i would take either one...

Another shot then, pity that dull gray thing keeps getting in the way. Love the silver blue's ride height too! Neko.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next