Anyway, now that we know that the Kameari ignition kit is supposed to be like that, I put it all back together, set the timing at a locked 32degs and...went out for a drive!
Tonight I guess marked a milestone in the build because it's the first time I just took it out for a drive. Even thought I had my doubts, the Kameari dizzy seems to work just fine without any advance, and it's never run better or cleaner. It still isn't fast though, and still feels like it's somehow fighting itself. No guts and won't rev and is quite breathless.
But I think by process of elimination the new ignition setup has at least taken that aspect out of the picture...I don't think it's necessarily a fuel delivery issue though, it seems to hit this wall at 5k very reliably and at no point does it stumble. In fact it drives quite smoothly, just slow. Plugs read quite black still, too.
But good news is that the suspension feels great (it does need an alignment badly though). Anyway here's some pics
Next port of call is checking cam timing. I'm thinking it'll definitely be out. It has to be...pretty much everything else has been covered. At the moment, the Kameari ignition is doing its job and has made the car better than it was before (I thought it would be quite a compromise but Kameari was right...it's quite streetable).
But hey....it runs! It drives! It's a car now, not just a garage ornament
Now we're just fine tuning the suspension and searching for that lost hp. On the bright side, we have an engine with great compression, new carbs and ignition, a big cam and a new head with a huge port job. It *should* scream. Hopefully that moment is soon, but tomorrow the car goes up on stands again.
No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.