#
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:10 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 81 of 81   [ 1608 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81
 Post subject: Re: JNC Project Hakosuka Build Thread
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:37 am 

Yup. Here's the auction btw

http://youtu.be/-aHs__DG0_I

At the same auction was this car, a 911 Targa 2.4S, which sold for $220k.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzlbDyvDGKE

The 911 2.7 Carrera RS has been worth megabucks for a long time now, and that's dragged up the "next best thing", which are the 2.4S of the same era. Which wasn't a limited edition or racing homologation car (like the RS), but looks the same and almost goes the same. And slowly but surely, regular 2.4 911s have shot up in price to the extent where they aren't affordable anymore, either. By the same logic, regular KGC10s should start to appreciate even more, for ppl who really want a 2000GT-R but can't quite justify the expense. A KGC10 is the next best thing.

The thing I do worry about though, is that if there is about to be a demand for KGC10s...where are they going to come from? It's hard enough to source good cars as it is.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:57 am 

If there's suddenly a new queue to buy KGC10s because ONE lone KPGC10 did well at auction, then I'd say there's a good chance that the people in that queue are the 'wrong people'...

What's next? Some enterprising individual brings a 432 from Japan to the next big auction, it sells well and suddenly people are talking about 240Z values being dragged up in response? I don't think so.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what this auction result tells us. If I pluck an average condition example of a rare model from Japan, ship it halfway round the world and put it in front of an audience that's made up (mostly) of people who haven't a clue what they are looking at, am I onto a winner? It doesn't sound like a sustainable business model to me. Three or four such cars in the same auction would probably collapse the market.

Who bought this KPGC10 anyway, and who were the underbidders? Was it a stretch for the buyer, or a mere bagatelle? If they really wanted a KPGC10, why didn't they go to Japan for one?

Still lots of mileage in this topic, I think....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:53 am 

I do think that some of the ppl will be the "wrong" kind :)

If JNCs are deemed to be classic car hard currency, then one group of folks that will come into the picture are the speculators. This particular car being a good example: one moment it was on sale at Bingo Sports, and then now it's in Monterey. Was it bought from Bingo for the purpose of flipping it at auction...it seems less likely that Bingo would have shipped it halfway around the world to have a go.

I reckon that our little hobby has had enough barriers to entry, that it has naturally become a slightly anoraky, or geeky pursuit. But if it's suddenly "fashionable", then I think things will change.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:02 am 

HS30-H wrote:
If they really wanted a KPGC10, why didn't they go to Japan for one?

My thoughts exactly when I saw the price it went for. Not sure the action tells us much but I'm waiting to see a few KGC10s in Japan appearing on eBay by chancres.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:35 am 

Taken from my post on the main page:

Remember gentlemen that auction perception and attitude changes as the "newer generation" of bidders get into the mix of things. What we are witnessing is more of a generational gap being filled. The Lamborghini Countach fetched for over $1M, the unforgettable poster on just about any car fanatics wall, that is now in their mid 40s- to mid 50's.

A bar has been set for public auctions, whether it is "correct" remains to be seen. Time will tell once other (KPG)C10's have crossed the block.

Keep in mind at auction you will always have 2 things that changes the game on that particular day: who was in the room and was this a duel of the wealthy.

I am very happy with the result, but at the same time I must agree with HS30-H, I'm still on the fence.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:42 am 

HS30-H wrote:
If there's suddenly a new queue to buy KGC10s because ONE lone KPGC10 did well at auction, then I'd say there's a good chance that the people in that queue are the 'wrong people'...

Not just those lining up either. I would hope that most current owners will keep their cars (KPGC10 or without the fabled "P"), unless of course they maybe going through some financial issues. But if we see a majority of current owners "jump ship" to make a quick buck, I for one will be saddened, but not surprised.

But then again, I have way too much of a personal connection with mine, too many memories that I'm not willing to let go. :P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:08 am 

RandyWanger wrote:
HS30-H wrote:
If they really wanted a KPGC10, why didn't they go to Japan for one?

My thoughts exactly when I saw the price it went for. Not sure the action tells us much but I'm waiting to see a few KGC10s in Japan appearing on eBay by chancres.

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... n138950018

14,500,000円 GT-R. 8)

Sorry to go off thread, but it was on topic.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:04 pm 

Hi Kev,

Long Time - No Hear !

I just glancing through and I see you are still have lot of love for the Hako !

Congrats...

Me ? ... after some touch on with other brands ... it's now time to get going with CELESTE ... in form of MV...

follow me here...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4315&start=20

... and here is the recent completed MV... for your enjoyment, Kev !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyk-F5TT ... e=youtu.be

So long .....

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 81 of 81   [ 1608 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81