#
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:29 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 80 of 81   [ 1608 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: JNC Project Hakosuka Build Thread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:31 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Ha! I am a quick learner? Everyone has to start somewhere? I show good enthusiasm? I can convert from piston engine talk? Never crashed, but do have a speed-over ticket (45km/h in a 50km/h zone, on a 50cc speed limited to 35km/h). How many more excuses? Neko.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:08 am 

Let me take this offline with the key stakeholders, and I'll circle back to you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:34 pm 

My first Sydney Cars & Coffee was a good event :)

"Just park up over there in front of the McLarens and the silver 360 Ferrari"

This is the 3rd C&C, held at the very good Cavallino restaurant (http://cavallino.com.au/cars-and-coffee.html) which is owned by Lido, a Porsche nutter and sports car fanatic. Cavallino was open to serve coffees and rather posh looking sausage rolls with prociutto and fancy cheese

The place was packed with nice cars for a few blocks...luckily Lido's guy let me into a coned-off area for a nice parking spot.

A huge turnout of cars and people for an event in its 3rd month, that's just been spread via word of mouth, so I think this is one event that will grow to be quite huge soon.

"Gotta move the Scuderia to get the Hako to get the McLaren(s) out"

Macca 650S was reputedly fresh off the truck that very morning, and driven straight here.

Testarossa (well, 512TR to be exact)! And 550 Maranello with a leather padded rollcage :)

USA vs Germany vs Italy

The Impala SS won ppl's choice

Jensen 541 with the radiator blind flipped open

Lincoln, Jensen 541, Porsche 356 and Fezza 308 all in the same pic :)

STRAYA

Scotty from Hamilton's was there in their Group 4 shop car

Given that I'm local...I guess I don't have any excuse for not attenting every mth :) I reckon in future I'll have to get there before the 8am start to get a nice spot tho.

Overall, the variety of cars was amazing. The rain started falling, so I didn't get a chance to take snaps of some of the other cars, but notable notables included a pair of 1Ms, Plymouth Superbird, at least three Gallardos, Fiat 130 Coupe...the rain came down towards the end, which is a shame as I didn't get a chance to check out the cars parked in the surrounding streets. Great event, I will attend again :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:08 pm 

Wow some awesome cars there

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:36 am 

Wait so are there special assigned parking spots and awards given out at Cars & Coffe usually? The one we have in Cincy (which I need to post pictures from when they're done being edited...) is basically just a big meet, first come first serve for spots and there aren't any awards.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:15 am 

I started reading this thread from page 1 on Friday morning, in-between work, snowboarding, bike riding, dropping missus RW off at the airport and getting back into work, I've just caught up part way through Monday morning 8)
Amazing journey, I've enjoyed reading it very much. I've just purchased an old Nissan from Japan, coming from a rotary family I knew nothing about Nissans or pistons, this thread has taught me a lot. I know exactly what to look for first when mine rolls out of the container.
Looking forward to more updates of your Hakosuka. :tu:

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:44 am 

Over the years, most of the parts I've sourced for the Hako have come from Rubber-Soul.net in Japan. And recently I paid them a bit of a visit when I was in Osaka (more on this story a little later...)

Nobody on their staff speaks English and they don't ship overseas, so I've always ordered my parts through a local. So it was quite a treat to finally go to the treasure-trove of Hakosuka goodness :D Needless to say, it's impossible to leave empty-handed

The easiest things to fit when I got back, were the new front indicators. My old ones were in decent shape, the rubber seal had fallen apart, but the handmade one I kludged up in 2007 seemed to be holding. Anyway, it's nice to have new things.

The new ones do seem a lot "brighter" than the old ones (which are resprayed silver inside).

I can't help but feel though...that I've made a "clean spot" in the front end now, and the indicators stand out a mile :)

Another interesting discovery was that the headlights aren't stock. I think the oem items are Koito sealed beams, but at some point (probably in the 70s) my car got a fancy upgrade to Cibie Iodes, which mean that the bulbs are H4 and replaceable.

Another item picked up at the Autobacs in Japan, were a pair of PIAA Night Techs, so the old H4 bulbs which gave the headlights a blue tinge can now be retired.

I...think...the new one (on the right) is a little brighter?

Another little engine bay detail that has bugged me for years, is the poor state of the brake booster and master cylinder. The MC has been rebuilt, but the reservoir lids were a slightly loose fit, hence the tape to keep them on. The booster also copped a really awesome brush painted finish at some point in the past, which I've been too lazy to rectify...but now is a good time, because I also picked up some parts to rebush the pedal assembly.

The clutch and brake pedals work just fine, but they do have a little side to side play, which makes it feel slightly rickety. Both clutch and brake pedals are attached the same way...the pushrod has a pin which is held in by a C-clip, and at the top the pedal swings on a shaft that is welded onto the bulkhead, and there's a split pin to remove before the pedal can slide off.

New vs old bushes. I'd expected the old bushes to be either ground to dust, or cracked, but they seem fine, if somewhat thinner than the new ones.

The new bushes press on quite firmly and I've put plenty of lithium grease inside.

The brake pedal was a bit more complicated, as there wasn't room to swing the MC pushrod around. Loosening the booster allowed it to slide fwds a bit, which made all the difference though.

Ah yes....that booster does need a lick of paint :D

Luckily, I'd remembered to pick up a firewall gasket while I was in Japan.

And with the booster repainted and a pair of new reservoir caps, it is better than it was :)

Another little detail I wanted to take care of, was the finish on the front sway bar, which had a little surface rust and overspray on it. I'd replaced the droplink bushes years ago, but the D-bush is still original. And for some unknown reason, years ago I decided to paint the D-bush brackets silver.

So the swaybar goes away to get sandblasted and powdercoated, and there's a new set of bushes ready to go.

With the radius rods and tie-rods replaced recently, the front end is looking pretty sweet. I think there's just the steering box and idler to rebuild, and then it'll be all-new.

The great thing about visiting a proper resto shop with plenty of stock, is that you pick up little things like this. The proper fasteners for the cowl panel.

So rather than random self tappers, I re-tapped the holes and fitted up the proper bolts.

Much better!

The big ticket items I was hoping to score in Japan, were a set of exterior door handles, but they seem to be at the point where all the NOS ones are gone, and the repro ones are only just starting to be available. Rubber-Soul didn't have any, and the other thing I wanted, which were the C-pillar vents, were available, but were at unobtanium prices, so I think I'll wait until those are available as a repro.

The other thing that I needed to sort out...was a pinhole leak in the radiator. It was coming from where the fan switch boss was brazed onto the top tank, so out came the radiator and I dropped it off at Alexandria Radiator Services to get sorted, and to get it cleaned out and serviced too.

At first I thought that a service was a bit of overkill, but then the guys reminded me that they built that rad for me 6yrs ago. In my mind, it's still new! But it came back all nice and fresh, and now with an extra thick layer of solder around the fan switch boss.

I'd picked up a repro sticker in Japan, so that went on...

And it goes back in easy as pie. This is a stark contrast to the half-day I am setting aside to swap the radiator in my other car (an FD RX-7)...this rad goes back in in 10mins.

The last job...is to fit the new gearbox mount. I'd renewed the engine mounts quite some months ago, but as far as I knew, the gearbox mount is still original.

...the old mount unbolts easily enough.

And then I support the gearbox with a jack, then unbolt and lower the crossmember.

New vs old...the old one looks to be in good shape. A few of the Hako owners in the US had reported that their mounts had split, but this looks aged and hard, but not in such bad shape.

And in it goes!

Quite a flurry of activity this week...stay tuned for the blog post on the visit to Rubber-Soul :D

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:56 am 

Great to see you working on it again and that you're still in lurv...

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:23 pm 

How could you *not* be in love with a Hakosuka :D It's not possible :)

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:55 pm 

Awesome dude I briefly visited Rubber Soul as well, so much goodness in there

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:30 am 

Great update as usual Kev, were we getting discount on the technotoy arms. Im working on a full coilover set now with 20 way adjustable dampers both front and rear. Should be good......... stupidly Ive gone and bought another hako LOL!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:11 pm 

I just bought the T3 arms off their website, I can't complain about the reasonable price though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:22 am 

Hey Kev I saw your skyline at car's n coffee on Sunday first time I've seen it in the flesh. looking good. First and last of the mighty straight six.

I took my crown had to park at the other end of the street. There was a few JNC'S mostly nissans

Last edited by MS46 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:09 am 

Gday mate!

Yes, I did spy your car down near that second row of shops, and was admiring it :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:48 am 

Got a nice treat today! Adrian Hodgson, a journalist friend of mine, asked if I'd like the Hako to get a feature, and needless to say, I said yes.

So a few months ago, I rocked up to the Express Magazines studio, and Chris Sorgsepp reeled off these gorgeous pics. Jason Round did a great job on the words, too.

Hako's been in a few mags over the years (and JNC, of course :)) but not a cover before. And it's also the subject of the centrefold poster too :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:24 am 

Brilliant! Gorgeous Hako, deserves all the coverage it gets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:38 pm 

Greaaaaat Kev, just what I need..........aNutha magazine!! :lol:

Congrats mate 8) I'll be on the lookout for that one now.
Ya know, I musta forgot your Hako has front over fenders.... just noticed it. Aaahh the joys of gettin' old
( beats the alternative though......). :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:42 pm 

Nice work on the feature

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:02 am 

Hoooooooly craaaaaap

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2014/08 ... or-242000/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:12 am 
JNC Enthusiast

kev wrote:

Daaaammmm... Suppose the value of all, even spec cars, to be dragged up accordingly. Neko.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 80 of 81   [ 1608 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81  Next