#
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 64 of 81   [ 1608 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: JNC Project Hakosuka Build Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:09 pm 

kev wrote:
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2011/05/18/hot-wheels-x-jnc-hakosuka-nissan-skyline/

I didn't expect to see our magazine logo on the door! Consider me blown away...

ok, I'm officially on the hunt for these now... gonna have to get me a handful of 'em :tu:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:42 am 

kev wrote:
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2011/05/18/hot-wheels-x-jnc-hakosuka-nissan-skyline/

I didn't expect to see our magazine logo on the door! Consider me blown away...

....and we have to wait for a few months before we see them over here........... :cry:

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:56 pm 

I went to walmart today looking for them and didn't find anything. so I grabbed an oil filter and a jug of 10w40 to change the oil in my mx3 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:18 am 

yeah i can understand that.
but you know you might just find more when you cut those sections out.
any way i have an idea that just came to mind
build l31 stroker twin turbo for hako
buy 240z
paint 240z blue and fit air dam and spoiler roll cage suspention ect
fit l31 to z
sell z
buy s20
profit?
just an idea
dchil15

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:58 am 

dchil15 wrote:
yeah i can understand that.
but you know you might just find more when you cut those sections out.
any way i have an idea that just came to mind
buy 240z
paint 240z blue and fit air dam and spoiler roll cage suspention ect
fit l31 to z
sell z
buy s20
profit?
just an idea
dchil15

That sounds like some really-complicated gearhead horsepower ponzi scheme

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:44 am 

kev wrote:
Endless pads are great, but the only compound they offer for the stock C10 calipers are the "street" compound. Work and feel great for daily use (and importantly they almost emit zero dust) but I think the heat buildup is just too much on the track.

I can see that happening. At my first track day ever I went out on a set of Axxis metalmaster pads that were great on the street and within 2 laps I had a firm pedal and zero brakes. So much for that track day. :roll:

If you can find a KFP dealer look into a set. The gold compound is the track compound but I've been running them on the street with no issues. They last a long time as well depending on the track. We just finished a 24 hr race (yes a full 24 hr) on the same set of pads we started with.

Will

'87 BMW M3

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:23 pm 

dchil15 wrote:
snip
snip
just an idea
dchil15

NOooo! A turbo on a Hako is sacrilegious! Just say NO to turbos :P
NA all the way :tu: :D

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:04 pm 

GT-R380 wrote:
dchil15 wrote:
snip
snip
just an idea
dchil15

No, you see, part of the complicated ponzi scheme is that the twin-turbo L31 is only installed in the Hako temporarily until we can find a Zed to put it in...well I think that's the plan anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:02 pm 

Yeah, I think he's saying that the L-series currently in the Hako could be used to build up a Midnight Club replica turbo Z, and that such a beast could then be sold for enough profit to fund putting an S20 into the Hako. Ie the L-series would be worth so much as a base for a turbo Z build that it Kev could afford to replace it with an S20 like the original factory GT-R Hakos.

Now generally with tuning cars, you're lucky to get back 50% of what you put into building a car. If you were really lucky and there was a huge speculative bubble in J-tin (like there was in european classics in the 90s), then you could make a profit on such an enterprise.

I guess the reality is that the bigger-capacity L-series probably suits the Hako, and the use Kev puts it to, pretty well, so he's not driving round thinking 'if only I had an S20 under the bonnet'.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:53 pm 

Yup I'd say that's a fair call.

The L-series in the Hako will never be a good candidate for turbo. While the beautiful cylinder head would flow lots of power, it and the HKS flat tops mean that it's got very small combustion chambers for a 11:1 compression ratio. Playing around with a turbo conversion does sound like fun. If only we could find an old HKS Surge Tank kit for triple carbs...but I'd start with a fresh stock L-series, and I'd probably put it in a Cedric or something instead of the Hako :)

And Samoht is right about the S20 too. Personally, the best part of owning an S20 engine, IMHO is having the 2000GT-R gift-wrapping that it comes in :D The L that's in the Hako right now is perfect for it, it's simple to maintain myself and it would be very expensive (if not impossible) to get an S20 up to its power level anyway.

But of course if OS Giken were to agree to sponsor me, I could have my arm twisted to have a TC-24 engine in my car :lol: So in order of preference, in terms of driving character and personality, I reckon the best engines for my Hako are:

- TC24 L-series
- LY-headed L-series
- Regular L-series
- S20

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:29 am 

kev wrote:
And Samoht is right about the S20 too. Personally, the best part of owning an S20 engine, IMHO is having the 2000GT-R gift-wrapping that it comes in :D

.....or the Fairlady Z432 / 432-R "gift wrapping".

Kev,
What's your personal experience of S20 engines? Ever driven a car powered by one? If so, was it stock, or very close to stock?

These ( internet ) days there seems to be a lot of nonsense talked about the S20. One crowd seems to think it's a mythical fire-breathing monster, although their main point of reference seems to be from videos of the 'R Factory' race car, and the other talks smack about it - saying that an L-gata is 'superior', even though they are usually thinking of a 3 litre that's had quite a lot of tuning effort put into it and which uses parts that didn't exist until ten years after the S20 was put on sale....

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:24 am 

GT-R380 wrote:
Just say NO to turbos :P

And say yes to tail lights... lol...

-Robert

My Build/Pic thread

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:02 am 

HS30-H wrote:
kev wrote:
And Samoht is right about the S20 too. Personally, the best part of owning an S20 engine, IMHO is having the 2000GT-R gift-wrapping that it comes in :D

.....or the Fairlady Z432 / 432-R "gift wrapping".

Kev,
What's your personal experience of S20 engines? Ever driven a car powered by one? If so, was it stock, or very close to stock?

These ( internet ) days there seems to be a lot of nonsense talked about the S20. One crowd seems to think it's a mythical fire-breathing monster, although their main point of reference seems to be from videos of the 'R Factory' race car, and the other talks smack about it - saying that an L-gata is 'superior', even though they are usually thinking of a 3 litre that's had quite a lot of tuning effort put into it and which uses parts that didn't exist until ten years after the S20 was put on sale....

No, haven't had the privilege of having driven an s20 car (unless you are offering... :)).

But you're right, when you are talking about S20 vs L-series, you really aren't comparing like with like. There is no way that an S20 can make the power of a 50% bigger and highly tuned L-series. On the other hand, a 2000cc L-series can't possibly match an S20 in any equivalent state of tune. And that is before you bring in subjective things like, which engine has the nicer character and of course the L-series has had more development through greater strength of numbers, and across a much longer production life.

It's an impossible comparison...I think the fairest thing to say is that I would not want to swap my 300hp L series for an S20 motor, but on the other hand if I had a real 2000GT-R, I wouldn't be in any hurry to swap the S20 for an L-series either :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:41 pm 

You know, if I had a Hako with a L20A in it, I think Id gave some fun to see what I could get out of it. Would it have a ton of low end, no, but perhaps it might have enough mid and upper to be really fun. Would it be easier to drop a 3L in, heck yeah, but where is the fun in that (aside from the obvoius 3 liters)

A turbo L series would be cool because they are kinda rare around here, a hot NA motor is also cool. An S20 while super cool is so rare that I don't know that I would want to go messing with it. Sure it could be fun, but if you screw it up while tweaking it out, you can't just run out and get another.

Will

'87 BMW M3

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:23 am 

kev wrote:
No, haven't had the privilege of having driven an s20 car (unless you are offering... :)).

Yeah, you can have a drive anytime. You have to pay your own air fare though....

Give it a few months and you can ( hopefully ) have a spin in an S30 body with an S20 engine too. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

:)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:41 am 
Administrator

HS30-H wrote:
kev wrote:

Yeah, you can have a drive anytime. You have to pay your own air fare though....

Give it a few months and you can ( hopefully ) have a spin in an S30 body with an S20 engine too. I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

:)

taking alan's s20 equipped racecar for a spin around the paddock was a highlight (the highlight?) of my england trip, so you need to take him up on his offer!

and yes there's nothing quite like the sound/feel of an s20
we (ed & I) were greatly tempted to burst out of the the paddock and into the track :mrgreen:

btw, short vid from the event
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w-GnP6gzYE

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:33 am 
JNC Enthusiast

matt wrote:

taking alan's s20 equipped racecar for a spin around the paddock was a highlight (the highlight?) of my england trip, so you need to take him up on his offer!

Lucky!! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:18 pm 

Rad2Ltr wrote:
You know, if I had a Hako with a L20A in it, I think Id gave some fun to see what I could get out of it.

Me too. My car wouldn't be a very representative example of a hot street car in early 70s Japan. I would have thought that an L20 with a triple carb kit and some other bolt on goodies, in a narrowbody unflared coupe rolling on Enkei slots or Cromodora mags would be much more of that era.

That would be a fun project, it wouldn't be too fast, but it would be fun to get it as period correct as we could (but I'd imagine that things like the vintage Mach steering wheel and other period accessories would require a second mortgage). I'd imagine that back in the day, most cars on the road in Japan would have been 1000cc or less, so a two litre six in a compact bodyshell would have seemed like a big blocked muscle car in comparison :)

HS30-H wrote:

Hmmm...if only I'd perfected the design of that teleportation device. Alas...

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:36 am 

kev wrote:
GT-R380 wrote:
dchil15 wrote:
snip
snip
just an idea
dchil15

No, you see, part of the complicated ponzi scheme is that the twin-turbo L31 is only installed in the Hako temporarily until we can find a Zed to put it in...well I think that's the plan anyway.

yep thats the plan :D
but a 432 replica would be cool :twisted:
any way i terms of how much i want one:
1 s20 engined hako
2 your hako
3 devil z replica
but the 3rd would be the easiest to get.

altho, on the devil z, i dont see where every one gets the twin cam part of the devil z
in the cartoon version there is just a single cam l series head.

Intresting how an idea can hijack a thread, hey
Any updates kev?
dchil15
edited of clarity

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:15 pm 

kev wrote:
Rad2Ltr wrote:
You know, if I had a Hako with a L20A in it, I think Id gave some fun to see what I could get out of it.

Me too. My car wouldn't be a very representative example of a hot street car in early 70s Japan. I would have thought that an L20 with a triple carb kit and some other bolt on goodies, in a narrowbody unflared coupe rolling on Enkei slots or Cromodora mags would be much more of that era.

That would be a fun project, it wouldn't be too fast, but it would be fun to get it as period correct as we could (but I'd imagine that things like the vintage Mach steering wheel and other period accessories would require a second mortgage). I'd imagine that back in the day, most cars on the road in Japan would have been 1000cc or less, so a two litre six in a compact bodyshell would have seemed like a big blocked muscle car in comparison :)

HS30-H wrote:

Hmmm...if only I'd perfected the design of that teleportation device. Alas...

An L20A at 11:1 compression, with a well done head, big cam, and triple Mikunis might be surprisingly fast. And think of the sound it would make. :D 8) I'd bet it could produce at least 200 hp. It would certainly hold its own on a track, and on the street would surprise a few people as well. I don't know that an S20 would be any more fun. Is it 3.1 Liters and 250 hp, no, but it would still move right along.

Will

'87 BMW M3

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 64 of 81   [ 1608 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 81  Next